PDA

View Full Version : Predict next season sans Hickson

Ken Stallings
7th June 2008, 20:17
Well, with the official announcement that JJ Hickson told a website interviewer he would remain in the NBA draft, what do you think next season will be like for Sidney Lowe and Co?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1099545.html

Ken

Derreck
7th June 2008, 20:26
With Costner, McCauley, & Smith we will be fine.

There is going to be a lot of Javi and Farnold running the 1&2 on the floor at the same time, Fells is moving to the three...

Ken Stallings
7th June 2008, 20:58
You know, I wanted to wait until knowing what Hickson's plan were before saying this.

But I have this inner belief that the team will play better without Hickson. I know that sounds crazy, but there was something fundamentally wrong with the chemistry of this team last season.

I'm not at all blaming it on Hickson. Given how hard he played in so many games that would be silly. But, this next year will have the same nucleus that took a serious run at the ACC tournament title two seasons ago.

With Hickson's announcement I would also believe it increases the odds of Derreck Favors suiting up for the Pack two seasons from now. He knows now he'll have the path opened up for major minutes his freshman year.

One other thing, we won't need to worry about scholarship limits for the next two classes!

Ken

Prowling Woofie
8th June 2008, 00:19
Take a look at this headline, from the page of the N&O of the link that Ken provided:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1099547.html

If this is a crime, I'm guilty as charged !!!

Drinking after driving ???? Nice editing...

Prowling Woofie
8th June 2008, 00:25
To the point, I think Hickson is making a mistake. I'm sure that rips him up to hear me say that, but that's my opinion.

The Pack will be OK this year, if everyone gets on the same page and plays for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Smith will be just as busy inside, McCauley will be a beast, and we can only hope that Costner returns to form. If our PG's are healthy, and Fells, Horner, and Fergy can find the nets consistently, we'll be fine... Plus, we get Thomas back !

Wufman66
8th June 2008, 11:10
I believe the key is how well Costner returns to his 2006-2007 form. From what I hear both Degand & Thomas are pretty much on track in their rehab. If all of these happen then we should have a pretty good year.

Ken Stallings
8th June 2008, 14:07
Take a look at this headline, from the page of the N&O of the link that Ken provided:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1099547.html

If this is a crime, I'm guilty as charged !!!

Drinking after driving ???? Nice editing...

It is a local ordinance misdeamenor for a person between 21 and 18 to do any drinking before driving regardless of the BA level. Personally, I think such a law is overkill. Seems a rather picky way to put a young man through the ringer. I'd be more concerned about him driving on a suspended license. To me that's more serious.

Ken

LSmith
8th June 2008, 16:15
I feel the Pack has enough talent to have a very good team without Hickson next season and hopefully rekindle the chemistry we had during the run in the ACC tournament the season before last.

My biggest question in all this is what kind of influence if any Hickson's early departure will have on the recruits we are trying to land in 09 and 10?

Mad Gene Vane
8th June 2008, 16:25
Too many 'if's' going into next year to predict about this basketball team. If Costner plays like he did as a freshman, if McCauley playes like he did as a sophomore, if Fells plays consistently from game to game, if Gonzalez can keep improving, if Degand can comeback from his rehab at 100% next year, if we can improve in rebounding, which has been awful for years, if Horner's shooting touch comesback etc.

I think in reality we won't be better than 6th place and another 12th place finish is still a possiblity. Too many question marks going into the season to expect everything to click.

Stephen Sparks
8th June 2008, 23:35
Well, with Hickson leaving, we'll lose a major force down low. But with a perimeter oriented nucleus returning we may revert back to the '06-'07 team's offense. More pick and pops a'la Costner and Atsur, with Degand or Gonsalez instead of Atsur now.

We'll still be deep along the front with adequate, if young back court. We'll have both Degand and Gonsalez running the point and shooting guards. Though Fells will play at the wing forward position, he can play the shooting guard. If Thomas recoveres, he could play both shooting guard and wing forward. Ferguson proved he could play last year as well. Julius Mays will be coming next year to. I think he is a combo guard. I'd like to see him play point since we may see more of Javi and Farnold playing together. Harris will return next year as well.

Along the front court we'll have have McCauley, Costner, Smith and Horner returning. McCauley and Costner will likely start for us with Smith and Horner in reserve. All of these guys are gonna have to step up for us to have a chance at all. Can't have another off year for any of the returners, time to step it up guys, no excuses. CJ Williams is the new comer.

In all, we'll have a solid team, but no dominant team. We just don't have any guys that can take a game over and put the team on his back and win a game. Costner has the potential to be the dominant player for us, but after last year's lackluster performance forgive meif I'm a little skeptical.

My prediction of the starting five:

PG- Javier Gonsalez
SG- Farnold Degand
SF- Cortney Fells
PF- Brandon Costner
C- Ben McCauley

Bench: Trevor Ferguson, Dennis Horner, Tracy Smith
New Comers: Johnny Thomas, CJ Willams, Julius Mays

Eshack
9th June 2008, 06:22
One thing is for sure......after last season the only thing that can happen is we have no where to go but up!

Matt Nicholson
9th June 2008, 09:03
18 wins + NIT?

Only way we return to NCAA is if Costner has actually been working out and getting back to freshman form.

avisocan
9th June 2008, 10:26
I feel the Pack has enough talent to have a very good team without Hickson next season and hopefully rekindle the chemistry we had during the run in the ACC tournament the season before last.

My biggest question in all this is what kind of influence if any Hickson's early departure will have on the recruits we are trying to land in 09 and 10?

You know Smith -- I was wondering about that too.. Though, I think that JJ has been pretty complimentary of Sid and NC State in the media since he made the announcement to test the waters.

Derreck
9th June 2008, 10:49
JJ has been one of our biggest helpers in terms of recruiting Favors.

Stephen Sparks
9th June 2008, 18:53
Hopefuly JJ will seal the deal with landing Favors. Can JJ help with Favors now that he's no longer a member of the team atleast in spirit?:confused:

I'm glad we had Hickson for one season anyway. Best of luck to him. I felt he could've used another year in college to increase his stick from 1st round pick to a lottery pick. But what do I know. Good luck Mr. Hickson you'll always be a Wolfpacker, don't fprget that.

Derreck
9th June 2008, 21:01
As long as Hickson is enrolled as a full time student he can help with Favors.