PDA

View Full Version : Richard Howell Commits to NC State!

Derreck
28th July 2008, 15:11
http://ncstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=50453

4 Star prospect Richard Howell, the #18 ranked PF and the #59 overall player in the 2009 class joins Scott Wood and Lorenzo Brown as the latest commit to NC State!

Prowling Woofie
28th July 2008, 15:22
On a Roll, Pack - On A Roll !!!!

Keep it up :D

Nice list of schools he was considering, by the way... Nice to see us competing with the Big Boys again !

Derreck
28th July 2008, 16:00
And we are not done with 2009 yet. Word is we might take up to 5 players and will take at least one more!

D Wolf
28th July 2008, 16:09
Wow! That Georgia pipeline keeps spittin' them out. :D

Derreck, how much do you know about this kid? My first impression was that 6'7" seems a bit short to play PF. Obvious our coaches and a lot of others think he has great potential.

One other question. What's our scholarship situation? If we bring on 5, how will that affect 2010? Do we care?

Matt Nicholson
28th July 2008, 16:43
We're rolling now! They're lining up to commit!

STRUTTER
28th July 2008, 18:01
From the same high school as J.J. :)

Derreck
28th July 2008, 20:20
Wow! That Georgia pipeline keeps spittin' them out. :D

Derreck, how much do you know about this kid? My first impression was that 6'7" seems a bit short to play PF. Obvious our coaches and a lot of others think he has great potential.

One other question. What's our scholarship situation? If we bring on 5, how will that affect 2010? Do we care?

He is awesome. He is currently 6'7' but most expect him to grow to about 6'9" to 6'10". He was a late bloomer due to an injury but that has cleared up and he has been dominate this past summer on the AAU trail.

I will have look at the scholarship situation a little closer. It we take 5 that means someone who is currently on scholarship will lose theirs.

avisocan
28th July 2008, 21:00
D - Isn't Costner for all intents and purposes a senior in the class room this year? Is that factored into your count of who we take?

Does Lo's commitment make Walls' decision "less" important?

Based on PP's recruiting board, it appears as if Lowe & Co. extended seven offers. Given the fact Hamilton has us as a low in the interest category, it seems as if we've gotten the lion's share of what we wanted -- unless there are other offers forthcoming.

Derreck
29th July 2008, 07:04
D - Isn't Costner for all intents and purposes a senior in the class room this year? Is that factored into your count of who we take?

Does Lo's commitment make Walls' decision "less" important?

Based on PP's recruiting board, it appears as if Lowe & Co. extended seven offers. Given the fact Hamilton has us as a low in the interest category, it seems as if we've gotten the lion's share of what we wanted -- unless there are other offers forthcoming.

This could be Costner's last year & that was factored into who we take. There is also a chance Johnny Thomas will never suit up for NC State due to his injury and will receive a medical hardship waver where he will be on scholarship but not count against NC State's scholarship count.

Lo's commitment definitely takes the pressure off of having to land Wall. The perfect world would see Wall as the 1 and Lo as the 2. But with the commitment of Ryan Harrow for 2010 it makes it even less important to land Wall. However we definitely take him if he wants to come.

The staff appears to really want Kelly and Favors. We will likely land one, but will definitely take both.

avisocan
29th July 2008, 09:34
Thanks D... I had heard that about Johnny Thomas and I had forgotten about Kelly.

So, with Kelly, Wall, Favors all sort of in play and two slots left. Who do we take?

Prowling Woofie
29th July 2008, 10:18
Wall is one and done - that's pretty evident, if he's merely choosing schools based on his projected shoe contract.

If that's the case, I'd rather push for Kelly and Favors. Get some bodies available for banging that might stick around for 3-4 years.

Stephen Sparks
29th July 2008, 12:39
I think we'll go after Kelly and Favors. Wall looks like a team Nike school player, meaning he'll probably choose a school with ties to Nike shoes. He's looking to get a sweet shoe contract out of this. Like it or not that's the way it is.

Hey a class of wood, howell, brown, favors and/or kelly will be huge guys. Thigs are deffinately on the upswing for us. No worries.:cool:

D Wolf
29th July 2008, 13:08
What's the latest on Favors and Kelly? I heard an interview with Dave Telep in which he states that he has Favors as the best player in the class. Who is on his short list? and on Kelly's short list?

Derreck
29th July 2008, 15:27
What's the latest on Favors and Kelly? I heard an interview with Dave Telep in which he states that he has Favors as the best player in the class. Who is on his short list? and on Kelly's short list?

With Favors it is down to Georgia Tech and NC State though Georgia could sneak in.

Kelly, I am not really sure to be honest but the staff likes our chances and has been putting the full court press on. Pete Strickland even flew overseas to show his face while Kelly was playing for Team USA.

Matt Nicholson
29th July 2008, 17:45
I think out chances for Wall are fading. We've got 3 with a solid verbal and 3 others jockeying for 1 last spot.

Derreck
29th July 2008, 20:49
I think out chances for Wall are fading. We've got 3 with a solid verbal and 3 others jockeying for 1 last spot.

Matt, it is possible we can take two more for 09'

Ken Stallings
30th July 2008, 19:19
Excellent news! This is what I was hoping for -- that Brown would start the ball rolling and lead to some of the big guys on our radar scope commiting. Now, like you said, either Ryan Kelly or Derreck Favors would shape this up as an outstanding class for 2009!

Go Pack!

Ken

Derreck
30th July 2008, 21:29
Just a reminder, we are not 100% out of it yet for Wall either.

Stephen Sparks
30th July 2008, 21:41
Derreck, if we land Wall do you feel that a commitment from Mr. Favors will be forthcoming. Or is the continued pursuit of Ryan Kelly our target. I feel Kelly is our backup in this case.

Derreck
30th July 2008, 21:50
Derreck, if we land Wall do you feel that a commitment from Mr. Favors will be forthcoming. Or is the continued pursuit of Ryan Kelly our target. I feel Kelly is our backup in this case.

We need to land Favors to get Wall. Brown was the Domino that will help us with Favors. Kelly is a main target basically we have 2 more slots we can fill with the current 3 commits we have now so it is almost a case of who will commit first.

Stephen Sparks
31st July 2008, 19:54
Derreck, I was wondering about Johnny Thomas's injury. What type of injury is it? I can't believe with the advancements in orthroscopic serjury that his injury would be career ending.

Derreck
1st August 2008, 10:00
Derreck, I was wondering about Johnny Thomas's injury. What type of injury is it? I can't believe with the advancements in orthroscopic serjury that his injury would be career ending.

I don't want to get too specific but the knee injury itself was not career ending. However there maybe a degenerative condition that is causing healing issues and this is what may prevent him from playing for us.