PDA

View Full Version : NC State vs. ECU

Derreck
15th December 2008, 18:12
I hate to say this, but ECU worries me. They are a high scoring team. We have played a couple of mutual opponets thus far and ECU has won by as much (or more) in each game. I stated last year that coach Mack was a good coach and ECU would be dangerous in their House. This year they are better and I am not sure if we are better or not at this point.

rmpackman
16th December 2008, 08:06
From what I have read, they have a skilled backcourt. This could be the thing that gives us the most trouble. It is undeniable that our frontcourt is much better than theirs. Here is what will tell the tale- if we are out-rebounded by ECU we lose! Plain and simple this game will come down to who controls the paint.

Mad Gene Vane
16th December 2008, 08:38
"ECU has won by as much (or more)"

Sometimes I think (maybe wishfully) we take the throttle off, so we don't run up the score.

"They are a high scoring team."

Be interesting to see if we can make this an ugly game and grind out a win.

"if we are out-rebounded by ECU we lose"

ECU doesn't turn the ball over much and forces more turnovers than we do. I think limiting turnovers and taking care of the ball in general, which includes rebounding, will be key.

Regarding ECU's back court, it'll be interesting to see how good Brock Young is. Young played HS ball in Raleigh (I think Broughton, but I'm not positive) and wasn't highly regarded due to his size and I guess limited athleticism. Right now he's leading the nation in assists. It'll be interesting to see how he matches up against fellow sophomore Javi Gonzalez, who we decided to go with.

Matt Nicholson
16th December 2008, 12:03
We cannot afford to lose this game. We lose, we do not make the NCAA. Mark it down....

Ken Stallings
16th December 2008, 12:04
No question about it. This is a must win game. Lose it and it's going to be a VERY long season.

Ken

xachie
16th December 2008, 13:28
Losing to them last year was a major embarassment. I hope that the same fate awaits them that their football team met. UNC or ECU, I don't know which I loathe the most.

Steve M
16th December 2008, 14:41
Can Wilson play?

Matt Nicholson
17th December 2008, 19:43
Looking at live stats, we seem to be playing OK. We're up 7 with about 7 min to go in the game. We're shooting extremely well, 57% for the game, 66% in the 2nd half. ECU is KILLING us on the offensive boards (14 so far), and they are keeping it close with 2nd chance points.

Get used to that last sentence. I have a feeling it won't be the only time I type it this season.

LSmith
17th December 2008, 19:48
We were up by as much as 14 around the 11 minute mark.

LSmith
17th December 2008, 20:02
Impressive win considering we were without Fells tonight.

Costner-24 points but 7 turnovers

Mad Gene Vane
17th December 2008, 20:06
Now it's time to hope ECU plays well the rest of the year and this becomes close to a quality win.

Mad Gene Vane
17th December 2008, 20:08
First 10 minutes of the second half was the best basketball we've played in a long time. We just have to be able to do that for 40 minutes.

Derreck
17th December 2008, 20:11
I agree MGV, I also like the fact that Ben and Brandon combined for 44 of our 87 points. Add that to the fact Fells did not play, this was Farnold's first game in a while so he was a little rusty and we won by 11, I will say it was a good night.

Mad Gene Vane
17th December 2008, 20:42
Farnold's still gimpy. Going straight he's very fast. He just can't move laterally that well, which is why Young got by him at will. Javi did a nice job on Young.

Glad Smith got more minutes, though when we have just the second unit in, we really don't have a lot of offensive options other than Smith.

Also glad Harris hit a couple of open jumpers. I didn't think he had it in him. It'll keep teams honest when he's in the game.

Matt Nicholson
17th December 2008, 20:45
Costner had a big game with 24 points and 17 boards. Ben had 20 pts. Good to see them waking up. Hopefully, this is just one of many such games this season for them.

This was an absolute must-win, and we got it. Now, if we beat Marquette and Florida, I'll feel pretty good about our NCAA chances.

Mad Gene Vane
17th December 2008, 20:47
We have to play a lot better to beat Marquette and / or Florida, but we do need to win one of those games to enhance out tournament resume.

Hope Fells can be back soon.

Derreck
17th December 2008, 20:51
We will probably rest Fells for the Limbscome (sp?) game Saturday so he will be ready to go against Marquette On Monday.

Mad Gene Vane
17th December 2008, 20:56
We should rest as much as possible against Lipscomb.

Hehehe...the name of the university is Lips-Comb...wonder if people should come to the game with hairy lips, because then they'd need a Lips-Comb...

Ken Stallings
18th December 2008, 00:54
All good with an 11 point win! One more creampuff and then we hit the meat of the schedule. Had to win this game and need a quality win against Marquette.

Ken

Prowling Woofie
18th December 2008, 07:20
Great showing by Costner (WELCOME BACK !!!) and McCauley, but don't overlook T. Smith - 11 points in 12 minutes. He seems to be the offense for the second unit. Maybe if he could get 15-20 minutes ???

avisocan
18th December 2008, 08:43
Can Wilson play?

I just couldn't stop laughing when I read that... :)

D Wolf
18th December 2008, 12:06
By the way, anyone going to the open practice on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 (right after the basketball game with Lipscomb)?

Ken Stallings
18th December 2008, 12:34
Great showing by Costner (WELCOME BACK !!!) and McCauley, but don't overlook T. Smith - 11 points in 12 minutes. He seems to be the offense for the second unit. Maybe if he could get 15-20 minutes ???

OK, now someone bottle what Costner drank before this game, and then be sure to give it to him to drink before every game. Desire seemed to drip from this man that night, and he's always had the talent. I hope the young man looked himself in the mirror and realized that for all the things that happened, if he brings this intensity to each and every remaining game this season, that not only is all forgiven, but more importantly, he'll gain the achievement worthy of him.

Ken

Ken Stallings
18th December 2008, 12:37
I believe that when Tracy Smith is a senior, and yes, he'll play all four years, he will earn himself ACC first team selection and become a force. I remember how a slightly considered Lorenzo Charles earned minutes his sophomore season and then in the championship gained a name for himself.

In his junior and senior seasons, he carried that intensity and became an elite conference player.

Ken

avisocan
18th December 2008, 13:01
By the way, anyone going to the open practice on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 (right after the basketball game with Lipscomb)?

I'm planning on it DW... Should be a good time and a great opportunity for the three OL recruits that we are courting to see how devoted the Pack fans are.

Steve M
19th December 2008, 09:46
This team needs Costner to have many double doubles this season.