PDA

View Full Version : 35th anniversary of the '74 championship tonight

Derreck
22nd December 2008, 08:49
When the Pack takes on #24 Marquette at 7:00 tonight.

Please show up and support the Pack. Of course our pitiful SID has not promoted this game at all...

Go Pack!

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=3636527

LSmith
22nd December 2008, 10:30
I have always felt the '74 team derserves more recognition being one of the most dominating teams in NCAA history.

Steve M
22nd December 2008, 12:00
Nice write up in the Observer:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/429409.html
The 73 team made me a convert. The 74 team was amazing. Still have a poster somewhere of Thompson soaring over Walton. ACC final against Maryland ranks up there as the best college game ever.

LSmith
22nd December 2008, 18:49
Very impressed with the effort the 1rst half. Costner is on fire! Keep it up for 20 more minutes Pack!!!!!

LSmith
22nd December 2008, 19:57
Damn!!!!!!!

Heartbreaking loss but alot of positives can be taken from this game.

Mad Gene Vane
22nd December 2008, 20:00
We need better three point shooting. Ferguson and Degand missed some open three's late in the second half.

"Heartbreaking loss but alot of positives can be taken from this game. "

I'm still bitter. I'll think of the positives later. Sigh, tough loss.

LSmith
22nd December 2008, 20:18
We need better three point shooting. Ferguson and Degand missed some open three's late in the second half.

"Heartbreaking loss but alot of positives can be taken from this game. "

I'm still bitter. I'll think of the positives later. Sigh, tough loss.

Turnovers killed us more than anything and it is clear we are not a very good team right now but compared to last year this team has fight and last year we did not.

Eshack
22nd December 2008, 21:28
Rats.............:mad:

Mad Gene Vane
22nd December 2008, 22:00
Turnovers killed us more than anything and it is clear we are not a very good team right now but compared to last year this team has fight and last year we did not.

I agree this team does have more fight in it than last years. We seem to be getting better on offense, compared to the start of the season. We shot better than 50 percent tonight against a good team.

We're still a few players away from being able to win against good teams.

Hopefully Costner can keep playing like this because it's the difference between being in a game against a good team till the end versus getting run out of our own building.

DUKERULES14
22nd December 2008, 23:01
I was at the game tonight with a State friend of mine. His father was one of the assistant coaches on the team that was honored. I wound up getting my picture taken with some of the players on the team, including David Thompson.

Definitely along with the 73 team the best team in ACC history IMO and surely should be considered one of the best in college basketball history. People who happened to be at State at that time were mighty fortunate.

Prowling Woofie
23rd December 2008, 09:22
DUKERULES,

Was the ceremony appropriate for honoring the team ? NCSU SID has a history of screwing these things up, you know...

Matt Nicholson
23rd December 2008, 19:03
So, instead of losing by 20+ points to good teams, we're losing by 2-3 points. Still a loss, but, seriously, that's the first step.

18 turnovers. That's all I got to say about that....

DUKERULES14
24th December 2008, 00:39
DUKERULES,

Was the ceremony appropriate for honoring the team ? NCSU SID has a history of screwing these things up, you know...

I thought the ceremony itself was pretty par for the course, about what folks could reasonably expect. They did show highlights of the team on the big screen and mentioned their great record along with their key wins that year(ACC final, FF games with UCLA/Marquette, etc.). They introduced each manager, coach, and player on the team and each of them got a real nice team picture. About the only thing I would've added to the ceremony itself would be a real brief tribute to David Thompson.

If I were in charge of something like this, I would've tried to have throwback jerseys on sale and try to have the team come out with throwbacks also. Maybe have a 70's night, 80's, 90's, 60's or whatever year I was honoring. Of course it would be tough to promote something like that with the students on Christmas break.

Just my .02 anyhow

Prowling Woofie
24th December 2008, 07:25
Thanks for the report...

Sounds better than what the '83 team got, anyway.

Great idea about the throwbacks - I just wonder if there is anyone in State's SID that actually took a course in Marketing ??? Maybe 'Coach Jed' is in charge of all promotions, too...

Mad Gene Vane
24th December 2008, 08:00
Marquette and NCSU play a "rematch" of the title game in throwback uniforms...

Works for both schools, because Marquette was a much more high profile program when Al McGuire coached, then they are today. Draws light to NCSU and one of the best squads in ACC history. Win-win for both schools.

Stephen Sparks
29th December 2008, 18:51
Watched the game, holidays kept me from posting tho. I haveto say that this team is a much better version of the Pack than last years edition.

Guard play is thenly thing that will keep this team out of the top 4 in the ACC this year. I REALLY THNK SO!!! The backcourt isn't terrible but just inexperienced. We'll be ok, not great, somewhere in the 6-9 win range.

We'll be in post season play though. Everyone needs to be patient we'll get better aas the season progresses.

Matt Nicholson
29th December 2008, 19:01
We're tied at halftime to Loyola. Can't afford a loss to a significantly inferior non-conference team, at home no less.

LSmith
29th December 2008, 20:26
We beat 4-7 Loyola Md at home by 2 freakin points???????? I have, up until now, been optimistic about this team but I am in a pissy mood tonight and this is inexcusable.

The team was unprepared, unmotivated, and simply not ready to play tonight. Loyola MD will play Duke in two nights and get there asses handed to them by at least 40 points. That is because Coach K's teams (like Roys) play with the same intensity whether they are playing the #1 team in the nation or the #200 team in the nation.

I wrote last season off to team chemistry and not having a developed point guard but when you play 4-7 lower level teams at home (that have lost by double digits to the likes of Niagra) and let them take you to the wire there is no excuse other than the players have no freakin pride and don't give a damn. Costner had 0 points at the half for God sakes!!!!

I am a realist. I don't expect us to be able to compete with UNC under the best conditions this season but I do expect us give 100% every game and there is no way we gave half that much tonight.

Matt Nicholson
30th December 2008, 05:09
My cautious optimism has been replaced by guarged pessimism...

Mad Gene Vane
30th December 2008, 07:50
I'll see if they wake up against Towson before completely losing hope...and if we can hang with Florida...

Ken Stallings
30th December 2008, 09:05
We beat 4-7 Loyola Md at home by 2 freakin points???????? I have, up until now, been optimistic about this team but I am in a pissy mood tonight and this is inexcusable.

The team was unprepared, unmotivated, and simply not ready to play tonight. Loyola MD will play Duke in two nights and get there asses handed to them by at least 40 points. That is because Coach K's teams (like Roys) play with the same intensity whether they are playing the #1 team in the nation or the #200 team in the nation.

I wrote last season off to team chemistry and not having a developed point guard but when you play 4-7 lower level teams at home (that have lost by double digits to the likes of Niagra) and let them take you to the wire there is no excuse other than the players have no freakin pride and don't give a damn. Costner had 0 points at the half for God sakes!!!!

I am a realist. I don't expect us to be able to compete with UNC under the best conditions this season but I do expect us give 100% every game and there is no way we gave half that much tonight.

I agree with every word you wrote. How can Costner play so well against some teams and nearly totally disappear for a second half against a weak team?

I firmly believe we won't know what kind of coach Sid is until he's fielding only players he recruited on the court. Sounds crass, but we need to get Herb's recruits off the court.

Ken