PDA

View Full Version : Duke

Stephen Sparks
19th January 2009, 15:43
I don't know if we even want to discuss this but I thought I'd go ahead and get this started.

I think Duke will win this one convincingly. We don;t have the horses to run with Duke right now.

Duke by more than 10. Hate to say it though I'd love to eat crow on this one.

GO PACK!!!

Derreck
19th January 2009, 15:46
Pack wins this one in a shocker. Duke has WF this weekend and will be looking past the Pack.

Eshack
19th January 2009, 17:57
Pack wins this one in a shocker. Duke has WF this weekend and will be looking past the Pack.

Man.........you need to share some of the good stuff!
:rolleyes:

Prowling Woofie
19th January 2009, 18:48
WFU jumped over Duke for the #1 spot - Duke'll have a chip on their shoulder, and will demolish the Pack. Our guards wilt under the constant pressure...

Sorry, D - my Kool-Aid ain't as good as yours !

Derreck
19th January 2009, 21:38
Like Jimmy V Said, ya gotta dream...

Stephen Sparks
19th January 2009, 21:45
WFU jumped over Duke for the #1 spot - Duke'll have a chip on their shoulder, and will demolish the Pack. Our guards wilt under the constant pressure...

Sorry, D - my Kool-Aid ain't as good as yours !

Woofie,

I have to agree with you, Duke's backcourt is far superior to ours. Our team has consistantly turned the ball over with a proficency that defies imagination.

In order for us to stay in this one, our backcourt will have to have no more than 15 to's and they may have 15 by the end of the 1st half. Also the frontcourt will really have to have a monster game against Duke's. This is the most attainable of the two.

Positives:
Law of averages is in our favor, we haven't posted a W in Cameron Indoor since 1995, we're due one sometime.
Frontcourt should be an advantage for us.

Negatives:
Did I mention that we're playing Duke!
Backcourt, nothing more to say.
Their high pressure defense is going to destroy our guards.

I will say this, if we were to somehow pull off this one, upset of the ACC this year. As always, GO PACK, beat dook!!! ( I can dream can't I)

Mad Gene Vane
20th January 2009, 01:16
Cosnter comes out on fire hitting 20 3's in the first 5 minutes. Fells shuts down Henderson. Smith / McCauley have their way with Zoubek. Singler gets lost and misses the game. Mays doesn't commit a turnover and dishes out 10 assists. Ferggie picks up where Costner left off and hits 10 more 3's over the next 10 minutes of the first half. After scoring 100 first half points, Duke throw in the towel and we win in a shocker.

If you're going to dream, dream BIG! Go Pack! Pull this win out!

Prowling Woofie
20th January 2009, 06:58
Love it, MGV !!!

:D

Stephen Sparks
20th January 2009, 10:56
Cosnter comes out on fire hitting 20 3's in the first 5 minutes. Fells shuts down Henderson. Smith / McCauley have their way with Zoubek. Singler gets lost and misses the game. Mays doesn't commit a turnover and dishes out 10 assists. Ferggie picks up where Costner left off and hits 10 more 3's over the next 10 minutes of the first half. After scoring 100 first half points, Duke throw in the towel and we win in a shocker.

If you're going to dream, dream BIG! Go Pack! Pull this win out!

I'll add to that Gene, Pack becomes the 1st team in NCAA history to score 200 on the "hapless" Blue Devils.

Every player including the managers scores in double figures, even the cheeleaders score.

LSmith
20th January 2009, 11:43
I think we match up well athletically with Duke so I can see us staying in this one if we shoot decent and not turn the ball over a gazilion times. Closing the deal in the final minutes is harder to imagine. We have obviosuly struggled with that this season and it would be extremely difficult in Cameran.

Prowling Woofie
20th January 2009, 13:06
Duke's women just got ALL the calls against our women in our place, maybe our men will get the calls in Cameron ???

Hey, we're wishing, right ?

Matt Nicholson
20th January 2009, 13:43
This is the first top-flight Grade-A team we've played. Duke by 20+ in a laugher. We'll be down 15 by the 10 minute mark.

Seriously, we needed OT to be Ga. Tech at home....

Derreck
20th January 2009, 17:16
And in football we barely beat Duke in before going on our roll... Sometimes a win, no matter how it comes, is what a team needs.

Eshack
20th January 2009, 19:58
Thats more like it....
The last 5 minutes look like "our" Pack team!

Pretty decent game for the most part by our guys, I thought we would be doing something to keep it within 30!

Prowling Woofie
20th January 2009, 20:06
Guys played their hearts out tonight - great effort by Costner and McCauley. Degand started abyssmally (3 TO's in the first 3 possessions) but ended up with a decent game at the point.

Notice that the 17 point margin equals the difference in points off turnovers (Duke got 27, NCSU got 10).

Starting to see a cause-effect here, guys ???

PROTECT THE DAMNED BALL !!!!

Derreck
20th January 2009, 20:08
There were a lot of positives from tonight. We went to the #2 team in the country's house and made them sweat. The game was WAY closer than the final 8 min.

2 things, we need a PG and we need someone who is willing to set up with the game on the line.

LSmith
20th January 2009, 20:27
Same point of the game we unraveled against FSU. It happened tonight at the point Lowe put Ben and Brandon back in the game. Not saying it was a bad move by Lowe and they both had super games going until that point. Horner seems to be a clutch player at crunch time like he proved against GT. That no-look pass to Tracy Smith right before Lowe took him out and we fell apart was magic. Hell I don't know what the answer is. I still feel better about this team than I did this time last season. Nobody has blown us out this season. It's a matter of who is going to step up crunch time.

Prowling Woofie
20th January 2009, 20:37
9 TO's from the PG position.

Game Over...

Ken Stallings
20th January 2009, 22:57
Duke has shown the rest of the Div-1A world how to take our current team apart. Stay close until crunch time, around the last 10 minutes of the game. Then put forth a crushing trapping defense designed to isolate our guards and cause a breakdown in our offense, maximizing turnovers.

Nothing fancy, nothing insightful. It's just a brutally honest reality. Talented teams have guards who are both talented and experienced. We have experienced guards with modest talent. We have inexperienced guards with promising talent proven at lower levels of competition.

This promises to change for the better. When it does, the brutally honest way to crush our team becomes a brutally honest method of suicide. Experienced and talented guards welcome double teams because they know how to exploit them and tear the overcommitted defenses to shreds. They slash and get the trap defenses off balance, out of position, and then rely upon a teammate to slash to the basket for a timely pass and layup/dunk.

No one on the court knows this more than Sidney Lowe and Monte Towe. They did plenty of the exploitation of this defensive maneuver and tore opponents to shreds, forcing them to end the trap and yet hoping the opponent's coach would continue it so they could score points at will and sap the morale of the other team's players.

When we get guards who look forward to trapping defenses and anticipate them as moments to destroy, then we'll have a team ready to compete.

We won't have that team this year. It will be a cold winter.

Ken

Steve M
21st January 2009, 08:44
I had a good time watching this game until the 8 min. mark. Then Duke went on a 17-3 run the next 7 min. Duke shot lights out in the second half (80%?) and State gave them easy shots off TOs. Bad combo down the stretch.

Mad Gene Vane
21st January 2009, 10:51
On a side note, I am still a bit apprehensive about the substitution patterns. We were up around the 10 min. mark then Sid puts the 'B' team in and Duke quickly regains the lead.

I we just don't have enough offensive options on our bench to justify wholesale subsitutions. We need to leave 2-3 starters in at all times, in my opinion.

We've lost control of a few games, when the 'B' team comes in at the halfway point in the second half this year.

avisocan
21st January 2009, 11:25
Taking nothing away from Duke's play in the second half, but we utterly collapsed. Hendersen put on a layup clinic at our expense. It's like we don't know anything about playing defense.

Stephen Sparks
21st January 2009, 11:31
Watched the game last nite. Played incredibly good with Duke and went toe to toe with them for most of the game. As usual they hit a couple of crucial shots get some timely to's and pull away in the end.

This happened when Sendek was here and Lowe is struggling with this problem as well. I don't think that we have the talented players all along the depth chart to compete with the talent on Duke's roster.

I really don't know that the subs were that bad. They played hard and kept us in the game. After Duke tied it up at 49, they could do no wrong and we wilted under the pressure.

Overall I was pleased with the team effort, just wished we would've maintained our composure during Duke's run at the 8 min. mark.

GO PACK!!!

Prowling Woofie
21st January 2009, 15:39
Wasn't BC a Burger Boy ? If so, NCSU has one, Duke has - what - 7 or 8 on their roster ?

X's and O's are great, but if you ain't got the horses, you ain't winning the races...

I agree with the comments about the wholesale substitutions; we aren't there yet - too much drop-off in productivity to justify yanking all five starters at once.

I'd like to think that it'll pay off in Feb-March, but unless Sid's planning on winning the ACC Tournament with this strategy, it means an early end to the season.

Derreck
24th January 2009, 11:41
Duke is beating Maryland 76 to 36 @ Duke...