PDA

View Full Version : ewenc

Stephen Sparks
28th January 2009, 10:45
I said in the football thread and I'll say it here, if ewenc picked their greatest players ever and played against our worst players ever (including the year when Les had to suit up the managers), I'd still pick the WOLFPACK!!!!!

This is what a rivalry game is all about, throw out the records and the overall talent of the teams. It's about pride, desire and determination. Who WANTS it more! Several of Jimmy V's teams though less talented than Deano's boys still found ways to win.

Win this one for Jimmy V and Coach Yow.

WE WIN THIS GAME end of story.

Now everybody join with me,

WOLF!!!

Derreck
28th January 2009, 11:11
pack !!!!!!

D Wolf
28th January 2009, 11:46
wolf!!!!!!!!

Derreck
28th January 2009, 12:37
pack !!!!!!

Just sayin, we gonna' win this game.

Stephen Sparks
28th January 2009, 15:49
Come on guys, this is the most important game of the year, one fans mark their calanders by, not 1/16 of the coference regular season. Don't focus on our record to this point and don't worry about our performance to date. We're talking about the intangibles, stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

The WOLFPACK wants it more than the holes, plain and simple. WE WIN

WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Gene Vane
28th January 2009, 16:11
PACK!!!

Beating Carolina can redeem any season!

Stephen Sparks
28th January 2009, 18:16
Atta boy Gene, Everybody together now

WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Stallings
28th January 2009, 20:43
Time to get mean, bare fangs, rip up some lamb flesh!

Go Pack!

Derreck
28th January 2009, 20:58
pack !!!!!!!!

Stephen Sparks
28th January 2009, 21:12
Aside from D Wolf, Ken, Derreck, Gene and myself, no other Pack fans are posting. Remember ewenc, tarholes, whine and chese crowd, the smurfs, carowhina, etc... These guys are those powder blue sissies that play for that cess pool of a university down in crapel hole.

Remember Carolina blue is past tense for carolina blows. (Ken, hope you drop the profanity filter for this thread.:D)

Prowling Woofie
29th January 2009, 06:27
W o l f !!!

D Wolf
29th January 2009, 06:49
pack!!!!!!!

Ken Stallings
29th January 2009, 06:59
Remember Carolina blue is past tense for carolina blows. (Ken, hope you drop the profanity filter for this thread.:D)

Well, when I see some profanity, I'll be sure and take care of it!

Ken

Steve M
29th January 2009, 08:20
Winning Recipe for Ram Stew: 1 - Double/Double, 1 - missed FT, 10- TOs, a dash of offensive boards, a sprinkling of 3s, a handful of steals, a bunch of assists, a ton of heart and a little Shake and Bake. Combine and Force Feed for 40 min. Serve with a garnish of PACK PRIDE and a side of PACKED HOUSE!!!

Derreck
29th January 2009, 08:51
WOLF !!!!!!!

Go to Hell Carolina!

Derreck
29th January 2009, 08:57
Winning Recipe for Ram Stew: 1 - Double/Double, 1 - missed FT, 10- TOs, a dash of offensive boards, a sprinkling of 3s, a handful of steals, a bunch of assists, a ton of heart and a little Shake and Bake. Combine and Force Feed for 40 min. Serve with a garnish of PACK PRIDE and a side of PACKED HOUSE!!!

I like that...

Mad Gene Vane
29th January 2009, 12:51

Shooting 76.5% from the field in the second half helped a lot, the last time we won...we need a near flawless game...

PACK!!!

Steve M
30th January 2009, 10:42
Take it hard to the hoop and Hasbros loose tooth might get in way.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/SX5gAOH3TFI/AAAAAAAASVM/FHMslzUVXYk/s400/HansbroughMouth.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/SX5gAOH3TFI/AAAAAAAASVM/FHMslzUVXYk/s1600-h/HansbroughMouth.jpg)

avisocan
30th January 2009, 19:33
Seth Davis giving some love to the 'Pack

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/01/30/what.to.watch/index.html?eref=T1

Eshack
31st January 2009, 05:49
UNC has not been as dominating as I thought they could be.

I feel a good ole fashioned sneak attack coming on today!

LSmith
31st January 2009, 09:13
we need a near flawless game...

I would not say flawless but we definately need to shoot the ball well. I would say over 50% from the floor and have another 10 turnover day like last game and we are in this one if and only if we can keep Lawson from penetrating us to death.

Our turnover and rebounding woes have been well documented but our ability to stop good point guards from driving to the basket has been awful this season.

Lawson will be a tall order today. Ish Smith and Teague are gonna kill us!!!! They are gonna flat out kill us if we do not improve!!!

Derreck
31st January 2009, 11:59
WOLF

Go to hell Carolina!

LSmith
31st January 2009, 12:21
Ish Smith and Teague are gonna kill us!!!! They are gonna flat out kill us if we do not improve!!!

Of course they did have thier struggles against GT today. LOL

LSmith
31st January 2009, 14:17
How many dang shots can you miss in the paint????? The 1rst half has got to be a record!!!!

Matt Nicholson
31st January 2009, 14:21
1st half notes.

1) McCauley is trying. Costner has flat out quit.
2) How many shots less than 2' from the basket did we miss. Eight? (I'm totally serious)
3) Where is Tracy Smith?
4) UNC owned the last 4 minutes. If they own the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half, the game is over.

Matt Nicholson
31st January 2009, 14:39
And there's your answer. UNC comes out blazing in the 2nd half.

Game. Over.

I'm turning it over to Koni Challenge on Speed...

LSmith
31st January 2009, 14:43
Where is Tracy Smith?

He can't drop the ball in the dang ocean today.

Stephen Sparks
31st January 2009, 15:01
Refs swallowed their whistles in the 1st half. There was contact just no foul called.

They're starting to call it in the 2nd tho.

Stephen Sparks
31st January 2009, 17:34
We played a good game, I don't know what the turnover count was at the end. ewenc played a great game and we just didn't have enough in the end.

I think Lowe was getting upset with the officiating by the 10 min. mark in the 2nd half.

Fells had a stellar game, just wish there would've been someone else to step up with him.

Monster block by Horner in the second, scored in double figures too. He had a good game as well.

Smith really needed to finish around the basket more. He could've made the difference in the game.

In all, I firmly believe that we're not that far off from being a really good team. Just need more consistancy from our best players.

We seem to be getting a handle on the turnovers now.

Derreck
31st January 2009, 18:51
I personally think we actually took a step forward today. I think we had something like only 9 turnovers and did some really nice things today. Our PG play is getting better and when we run our offense we are getting some really good looks.

Prowling Woofie
31st January 2009, 19:50
I think Costner needs to change his name to 'Enigma'.

7 points in the first 2:30, then zip until late in the second half; finished with 13.

Glad Fells showed some attitude, and also glad Ben put Copeland on his face at the end. Classless Tarhole...

Ken Stallings
31st January 2009, 21:28
Yeah the news article was a bit brief on that. What exactly happened? Did Copeland try to jam a shot in our face with 1.9 seconds left and UNC up over 20? If so, then I'm glad Ben dropped him on his ass!

Ken

LSmith
31st January 2009, 21:52
Did Copeland try to jam a shot in our face with 1.9 seconds left and UNC up over 20? If so, then I'm glad Ben dropped him on his ass!

Yeah, (with a 17 point lead) that has to happen when an opponent does that and especially on your home court. Ben was just doing his duty. I even think Roy understood that.

I personally think we actually took a step forward today.

I agree we took a step forward offensively. On the defensive side I don't know if it is effort or if we are just not athletic enough to stop good teams from driving to the hoop.

Derreck
31st January 2009, 22:03
Yeah the news article was a bit brief on that. What exactly happened? Did Copeland try to jam a shot in our face with 1.9 seconds left and UNC up over 20? If so, then I'm glad Ben dropped him on his ass!

Ken

Yep, Ben should have earned his T and put him on his duff a little harder. Also I was disappointed that Someone did not knock down Hansblow when he took a three point attempt with a little over a minute left and 18 seconds still on the shot clock.

DUKERULES14
1st February 2009, 01:17
I was impressed with your guard play today. Get your frontcourt players back on track and State could be pretty dangerous.

Copeland seemed to have a "mommy, he won't let me dunk" type of look after Ben fouled him too. They're talented but they don't look real mature to me. I'd never have my center taking threes. He tried two against Wake but with no success.

Ken Stallings
1st February 2009, 02:17
I think Costner needs to change his name to 'Enigma'.

7 points in the first 2:30, then zip until late in the second half; finished with 13.

Glad Fells showed some attitude, and also glad Ben put Copeland on his face at the end. Classless Tarhole...

Wanted! One million dollar reward to anyone who can find a solution to Brandon Costner's inconsistency. Anyone with answer is asked to phone the NC State Athletic Department immediately and ask for Coach Sidney Lowe. Reward payable in cash upon confirmation of consistent results.

Ken Stallings
1st February 2009, 02:20
Yeah, (with a 17 point lead) that has to happen when an opponent does that and especially on your home court. Ben was just doing his duty. I even think Roy understood that.

I think that's pretty good guess. News report says Roy sent Copeland to the bench before the game ended. Since there was only a second left, it had to have been a message.

Ken

Matt Nicholson
1st February 2009, 07:22
I am somewhat dismayed that the consensus around here is that was a good game by us. Have we fallen so far that a near 20-pt loss at home to UNC is a good game that we're kinda pleased with?

Moral victories are for losers. I am extremely concerned about the condition of our program right now.

:sadbanana:

Derreck
1st February 2009, 11:29
I am somewhat dismayed that the consensus around here is that was a good game by us. Have we fallen so far that a near 20-pt loss at home to UNC is a good game that we're kinda pleased with?

Moral victories are for losers. I am extremely concerned about the condition of our program right now.

It is because I understand the situation we are in currently. At this point I am happy with the way the team played. However this is only temporary and expectations will increase.

Prowling Woofie
1st February 2009, 12:02
I think that's pretty good guess. News report says Roy sent Copeland to the bench before the game ended. Since there was only a second left, it had to have been a message.

Ken

Copeland was sent to the showers before the game ended. I assumed that he had been ejected by the officials, but apparently a double technical was called, and Roy was the one who sent him to the showers. Good for Roy - he knew EXACTLY why Ben dropped him !

In the post-game interview, Copeland said he was just trying to make the scorebook, but admitted that he made a bad decision. Good for him for taking responsibility for his actions.

Ken Stallings
1st February 2009, 23:34

Matt, there is no substitute for reality! If you honestly entered this season thinking our team was on an equal talent footing as UNC then you deluded yourself. That said, I respect the heck out of everything you write here and your views are sincere and that's cool with all of us.

However, we aren't where we want to be. Herb left the cupboard bare and his late decision to resign left us behind the 8-ball to say the least. Our guards are a patchwork collection of unrecruited players (projects) and transfers other teams did not mind losing. That Sid has made marked improvement in Degand's and Gozalez's performance speaks very highly of his and Monte's ability to teach guards how to play the game.

Degand is markedly better this year than he was last season and was better then than he was for his previous team.

UNC isn't merely a good team, they are one of the best in the nation and one of the most talented in years. Hansbrough is a rare player with NBA skills who chose to play four years.

Roy is taking a talent and experience dip next season. He knows it. But this year we aren't in UNC's talent level. And emotion takes you only so far. We aren't settling we are being realistic.

Cheers,

Ken

Stephen Sparks
2nd February 2009, 10:33
After thinking about it, I think that we played a great game. However ewenc played a great game as well, their great game is just that much better than ours right now.

We had 9 turnovers and the disparity in rebounds appear to be a result of ewenc's good shooting percentage. Also I thnk that execution is getting better as well.

This years team is by no means one of the best ever, but we're starting to see improvement.

I'm going to reserve judgement until the season is over.

Mad Gene Vane
2nd February 2009, 13:31

I agree.

Our standards should be more than we didn't totally embarass ourselves on national television. The problem right now is lack of personnel. I don't see that changing.

We lose our three most productive players - Costner, McCauley and Fells - and will go through another season of players and coaches trying to figure things out, so I won't expect much improvement next year either.

Just want to know when enough sucking is enough and we can start demanding a better product?

Derreck
2nd February 2009, 15:59
MGV,

Costner is not gone next year. There is a chance that he will leave, but not 100%. And from what I understand is leaning more on coming back.

We are bringing in a top 20 recruting class next year even if we do not sign another player. Mays has been developing pretty good and Farnold is starting to produce. IMO, things are starting to look up.

Mad Gene Vane
2nd February 2009, 16:50
Hope Costner comes back.

There was an interview he did this past summer, which recently made its way around the internets. He's not confirmed it, but not totally retracted his comments about not coming back either.

We have a good recruiting class next year, but if Costner doesn't come back we will have personnel issues at the center / PF position, since Smith and Howell will be the only two who could man the center spot, with Horner getting spot duty as a PF.

Players are developing, but we're still a long way away from where I feel entirely confident in the direction things are heading. Too many personnel holes to fill and so far not enough bodies to fill them for next year.

Of course if the heavens part and we get Wall and Cousins and Costner comes back those issues will be patched up in a hurry. :D

avisocan
2nd February 2009, 23:17
I've kinda got to go with Matt on this -- improvement, without the wins, only gets you so far. :(

WTF happened with the team that faced eweNC during Lowe's first year? I know; rhetorical question with Atsur being the answer. But, come on -- enough already. Somebody, anybody, step-up and lead this team on the court emotionally or otherwise.

We're not playing inspired basketball. That, more than anything pisses me off. Give 100% and fail -- I have no problem with it. Mail-in portions of the game, and I have to take exception. Coming off this past week's passing of Yow and the way the NC State community and greater triangle community responded, you'd have thought there would have been more fire in the players' bellies. But no. We didn't lose by a few, we were punked on our own floor.

Matt Nicholson
3rd February 2009, 04:25
WTF happened with the team that faced eweNC during Lowe's first year?

That's what I'm talking about. 4 of our major contrbutors that year are still on the team.

Never in our history would we have looked at a 17 pt home loss to UNC and come away with a good vibe. Not even when UNC was a 30+ game winner and ACC champ.

Mad Gene Vane
3rd February 2009, 10:59
WTF happened with the team that faced eweNC during Lowe's first year?

We didn't shoot 76.5% in the second half. As great as that win was our defense wasn't stunning. Our rebounding wasn't unbelievable. We cut Carolina's lead to a one or two possession lead at half time, thanks to Gavin's coast-to-coast dunk to end the half.

We just shot light's out in the second half to hold Carolina off.

Les has had more success against Carolina than any coach, except Everett Case.

We were a bad team then and just got up to beat Carolina, like some Les' squads did.

At some point the reality of how bad you are sets in, when you can't shoot 76.5% for a half or have a guy hit shots almost at will - think CC Harrison, Lakista McCuller, and Gugs.

I really don't think we can hope to bridge the gap to where we were against Carolina, in the late 1980's anymore (mind you Valvano only won 6 games against Carolina in 10 years and lost close to 20). We've fallen too far behind and they've gone too far ahead.

Matt Nicholson
3rd February 2009, 11:24
As great as that win was our defense wasn't stunning.

We didn't have the horses in the stable to play lockdown defense. When you only have 6 legitimate ACC-caliber players availible, you have to pick your battles. And fouling one of them out is NOT the right choice...

Ken Stallings
3rd February 2009, 20:48
Matt, I'm really having a hard time understanding your thought process on this one. In one thread, you lament we don't have the horses and then you wonder why we lost by nearly 20 points. Matt, our talent level means we have to play better than good to hold close against a UNC or Duke and to win they also have to play poorly. Hansbrough played an excellent game.

There is nothing magical about it. When K retires Duke is going to struggle. When Roy retires the same might be true for UNC. Remember, they struggled under Matt Daugherty and Bill Guthridge. UNC rolled the lottery pulling one of Dean's best protege's from Kansas, and Roy told UNC no the first time they asked him.

The team Herb had at home that got blown out by 20 plus was one that had significant talent on it. It was a team many felt in pre-season could contend for the conference title. Now that's a let down. Not just to lose, but to get blown out your own barn by a UNC team everyone considered young and with talent potential. NC State was supposed to be the talented and experienced team!

Ken

Mad Gene Vane
3rd February 2009, 23:45
Unless we land Wall and Cousins, I don't see the personnel situation vastly improving next year. We lose two very productive players, without a proven replacement for Fells.

If Costner doesn't come back, we become really thin up front.

Unless the 2010 class gets more recruits, I don't see personnel shortcomings being fully addressed in two more years either.

There's not a lot to be optimistic about.

Ken Stallings
4th February 2009, 01:13
Eventually, we have to secure the services of the best players to compete with UNC and Duke. That's hard reality. No one will deny that. But we have a shot with both Walls and Cousins, and a firm fact is that Favors delayed his decision because he wanted to think very seriously about NC State. Georgia was a distant third in his pecking order.

Yes, I realize for the individual player that close doesn't count. But, it does count in terms of future recruiting success. NC State got lots of regional press with Favors having us as one of his few favorites.

But keep in mind, frankly Lorenzo Brown and Scott Wood right now would be the two best guards on our team if they suited up for us tomorrow! And guard play is the critical factor in the college game.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
4th February 2009, 01:23
One other fact. Competing with UNC, Duke, Wake Forest and Clemson this season means being in the national elite teams. All four of these teams are currently in the top ten!

UNC, Duke and Wake are in the top six! That's half of the top six teams in the nation! It's mind-boggling what that means. Sure, we'd love for NC State to be in that mix, but we have to appreciate where we need to go to be there.

And I expect us to go there, which should state clearly what my own personal standards are for our program.

Ken

Mad Gene Vane
4th February 2009, 10:02
And I expect us to go there,

Why?

Our athletics director, board of trustees, chancellor, etc. don't care and don't put any pressure on emphasising athletics.

Unless Lowe is a Hall of Fame head coach or we start emphasising athletics, I don't see anything changing.

When you hear Oklahoma State's playing basketball, what do you think about their program? Just curious.

Regarding Brown and Wood, we don't know what they'll do once they get here. Fells and Costner were much more highly ranked coming out of high school. Costner was an All-American and both were player of the year in their respective states.

I'm not going to pen any high school player in for all conference honors or assume they are better than the upper classmen, before they play at this level.

Matt Nicholson
4th February 2009, 10:25
Matt, I'm really having a hard time understanding your thought process on this one. In one thread, you lament we don't have the horses and then you wonder why we lost by nearly 20 points.

I'm talking about 2 years ago when we actually beat a good UNC team. We didn't have the horses then to play lock-down defense that year, as we had only 6 legitimate ACC-caliber players. SO our solution was to outscore them.

Derreck
4th February 2009, 11:03
I'm talking about 2 years ago when we actually beat a good UNC team. We didn't have the horses then to play lock-down defense that year, as we had only 6 legitimate ACC-caliber players. SO our solution was to outscore them.

How many times does a team shoot 70% from the floor in one half (in this case the second half) of a game? We shot 70% and still had to hang on.