PDA

View Full Version : Nccu

LSmith
3rd February 2009, 12:57
Do we even need a thread for the 2-22 Eagles or should we delete this one and go ahead and start one for VT?

Matt Nicholson
3rd February 2009, 19:59
Why are we playing this game mid-season?

I will be disappointed with anything less than a 15 point win, with the cheer-leaders playing the final 5 minutes.

Derreck
3rd February 2009, 20:02
Why are we playing this game mid-season?

I will be disappointed with anything less than a 15 point win, with the cheer-leaders playing the final 5 minutes.

Pack wins 87 to 59 with the scrubs playing at the end of the game.

LSmith
3rd February 2009, 20:27
Looking at the box score I noticed Degand played only 3 minutes. Anyone know why? Resting his knee maybe?

Derreck
3rd February 2009, 20:32
Looking at the box score I noticed Degand played only 3 minutes. Anyone know why? Resting his knee maybe?

2 turnovers in the first three min. of the game. NCCU jumped out to a 10-2 lead. Lowe called timeout and quickly went to Mays. Javi has had a couple of weeks of good practices so Lowe felt he earned some PT tonight. When he went in he was effective, so Lowe elected to not put Farnold back into the game.

Ken Stallings
3rd February 2009, 21:51
Man this team needs some consistency in guard play in the worst way possible. Help is on the way -- just wish it was already here. I'd love to ask Chris Wright what he thinks about his decision to transfer to Georgetown. Imagine what that kid could have accomplished at NC State!

Ken

Matt Nicholson
4th February 2009, 08:53
The loss of Chris Wright really hurt this program, and I'd like to know the reasons why he had a change of heart. We we're well into an otherwise decent 1st season under Lowe when he pulled the switch.

Derreck
4th February 2009, 08:58
The loss of Chris Wright really hurt this program, and I'd like to know the reasons why he had a change of heart. We we're well into an otherwise decent 1st season under Lowe when he pulled the switch.

He wanted to play in the Princeton style offense, which is what Georgetown runs/ ran.

Matt Nicholson
4th February 2009, 11:31
Just read the box-score. 20 turnovers against a 2-win team. 11 by the backcourt. More if you count the ones by Fells.

:sadbanana:

Stephen Sparks
4th February 2009, 12:11
Yes we had a ton of to's. That stat gets to the root of our woes as fans. State doesn't have a consistantly good point gaurd. The overall spoty play by the committee of Farnold, Javi and Julius has contributed to our inexpliccable losses. Ben, Brandon and Cortney are our senior leaders and haven't acted like it at times but none of them are pg's and only Cortney can create his own shot and he only does this sporadically.

Ben and Brandon have to rely on a good pg to set them up for their shots (anyone remember Atsur???). Part of the reason these two disappear for games or stretches of games is due to our lack of that pg who can put them in a position to take the shots they're best at making.

This season will end up being a frustrating season for us all because of State's spoty guard play, we're going to win some that we shouldn't and we'll lose some that we should've won, as has already been seen.

I still firmly believe that we're not as far off from being a really good team as some might think, we've seen flashes of it already. I think we need to continue to be patient and allow the coaching staff teach these young men the type of b-ball that they want to execut on the court.

Lo Brown appears to be the kind of talented guard that can elevate the play of this team, Wall is gravy on the potatoes for us. Harrow is still a jr. so we'll have to se how he develops. Next year should be an improvement to this year and this is already an improvement over last year, atleast the guys are playing like team.

GO PACK, Beat the Roosters (I have no idea what a hokie is:confused:)

Ken Stallings
4th February 2009, 21:34
A Hokie is a castrated turkey. No joke! :D

Ken

Stephen Sparks
5th February 2009, 08:09
Well Hokie does sound mutch better than castrated turkey.

Hmm... GO HOKIES!!! or GO CASTRATED TURKEYS!!!

I can see why they chose to use Hokies instead :rolleyes:.

Matt Nicholson
5th February 2009, 09:34
we're going to win some that we shouldn't and we'll lose some that we should've won, as has already been seen.

Let me know when we "win some that we shouldn't" because I've seen none of that so far....

Derreck
5th February 2009, 10:09
Let me know when we "win some that we shouldn't" because I've seen none of that so far....

Maybe Miami? The team that just smoked WF?

Stephen Sparks
5th February 2009, 11:45
I was generalizing to some extent and prognosticating to another, however we're going to sneak up on some teams that should be favored to win and we'll lose to some teams that we shouldn't have lost to (Marqette, UF, Davisdon i.e.).

The fact that Lowe can't settle on a starting backcourt speaks volumes about our overall play this year. I don't think it's because he's indecisive. He really has no idea whose going to execute from nite to nite.

When your point guards and shooting guards account for half of the total turnovers, your team is going to look silly and that's putting it nicely.

If we take a look back at just the ACC teams that have been very successful you'll see a direct correllation between success and string backcourts.

1982 UNC ACC Title, NCAA Title Guards: Jimmy Black, Michael Jordan
1983 State ACC Title, NCAA Title Guards: Sidney Lowe, Dereck Whitenburg
1993 UNC NCAA Title Guards: Dereck Phelps , Donald Williams
1974 State ACC, NCAA Titles, Guards: Monty Towe, Moe Rivers

I could go on and on selecting successful teams that won big based almost entirely on guard play. I would also go on to say that more NCAA Titles have been won by teams with strong backcourts than teams with strong frontcourts.

The reason that Sendek's teams seemed to struggle in the NCAA Tourney is due to guard play, I believe. He never recruited a great backcourt at State and now Lowe is having to essentially lay the foundation for solid backcourts in the future. The thing is we're just getting started right now.

I certainly don't blame anyone for being frustrated nor am I calling anyone out for their observation of this team's performance thus far under Lowe. Just giving my observations based on this year and last years performance.

Steve M
6th February 2009, 11:37
My dad and uncles from both sides graduated from Va. Tech (VPI). Hokie come from a lame chant they had years ago.
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, High
We're the team from VPI.....