Here are the games we have left.

@ GT (10-13)
@ UNC (22-2)
UVA (7-13)
@ Wake (18-4)
Mary (15-8)
BC (18-8)
@ Mia (15-8)

Before last night I had hoped to go 4-4 over the final eight and the game last night was one I counted as a loss. Now with that win, we could go 5-3 over the final 8, or *gasp* 6-2? That would put us at 7-9 or 8-8 in the ACC for the season. Not too bad. Of course, with this team we could also lose out.

I am not saying we will do either, just putting this out their for everyone's FYI.

packinjax
12th February 2009, 10:47
We SHOULD win at least 3 of the remaining games. That's about all I'm willing to give this team credit for atm.

Ending 7-9 or 8-8 wouldn't be too bad at all. Especially given my expectations of the team at this point and the season to date.

Mad Gene Vane
12th February 2009, 11:34
Ga. Tech. game will be a big big game to see if the team is progressing. We haven't won an ACC road game in ages.

We had some nice stretches against Duke, BC and Va. Tech., but game unglued at the end of our road games.

Hopefully we don't overlook Ga. Tech., thinking ahead to UNC, or have a let down after the big win against Wake Forest.

Derreck
12th February 2009, 11:36
I agree, the GT game is the Big One. We cannot overlook anyone at this point and we need to have the same focus this weekend that we had last night against GT. If we do, we will come out of Atlanta with a win.

LSmith
12th February 2009, 13:22
Of course, with this team we could also lose out.

That hits the nail on the head with the exception that we also have the ability to win out. If there is one thing this team has showed this year is that it can compete with every team in the ACC but unfortunately also lose to every team in the ACC. Unlike last year there is not one of our 9 losses that you could say we never was really in the game and did not have a chance to win if we had not fallen apart the last 5-7 minutes. The one exception maybe the UNC game with their ability to answer everyone of our runs but even in that game we were highly competitive.

It is obvious anything can happen with this team. If Degand can maintain the level of play he was at last night we should have a great finish this season. That will be the key in my opinion.

gjones1968
13th February 2009, 07:19
If the team can maintain the leve of intensity they showed against Wake from here on out, we can do some damage this year but, it's all about how bad the players want it. I saw the want to against Wake but, it needs to continue for the rest of the season and beyond.:cool:

They also have to be committed to playing defense. It doesn't matter what sport it is. Defense wins games and Championships. The players must learn and understand that, if they hope to finish the season on a high note.

Matt Nicholson
13th February 2009, 07:19
Out of the remaining 7, we *should* beat GaTech and UVA. I give us even chances against Maryland and Miami. The other we *should* lose (UNC, Wake, BC)

The Wake win at home was huge. If we get 6 wins, I think the NIT at least looks at us. Beat Tech, UVa, and either UM or Miami and we're there. I see no way of getting 6 wins without the Wake game.

avisocan
13th February 2009, 09:48
If the Pack can play two halves, they can compete with anyone. The problem is we seem to take the second half off most games.

gjones1968
13th February 2009, 10:54
Amen Drew!!!! You don't play 20 minutes, pack up and go home. You play 40 minutes, wire to wire, same intensity level no matter who the opponent is.

LSmith
16th February 2009, 12:14
I beleive after the win Saturday we are at least at the point of discussing the possibilities of playing our way into the NCAA field via the ACC tournament.

Here are the scenarios as I see it:

*Anything less than winning 3 out of our last 6 games: Win 2 and finish 16-13 an NIT bid is possible but would probably need at least 1 ACC tourney win for the NIT and certainly must win the ACC tournament to get into the NCAA.

*Win 3 out of our last 6 games: (finish 7-9, 17-12): Should solidify NIT but would probably need to at least make it to the ACC tourney finals for NCAA consideration.

*Win 4 more games (8-8, 18-11): NIT locked, One ACC tourney win could possibly put us in the NCAA but 2 should secure a bid.

*Win 5 more games (9-7, 19-10): Still may need an opening round win to put us in the NCAA.

*Win out (10-6, 20-9): We are dancing!!!!

Matt Nicholson
16th February 2009, 19:16
I beleive after the win Saturday we are at least at the point of discussing the possibilities of playing our way into the NCAA field via the ACC tournament.

Here are the scenarios as I see it:

*Anything less than winning 3 out of our last 6 games: Win 2 and finish 16-13 an NIT bid is possible but would probably need at least 1 ACC tourney win for the NIT and certainly must win the ACC tournament to get into the NCAA.

*Win 3 out of our last 6 games: (finish 7-9, 17-12): Should solidify NIT but would probably need to at least make it to the ACC tourney finals for NCAA consideration.

*Win 4 more games (8-8, 18-11): NIT locked, One ACC tourney win could possibly put us in the NCAA but 2 should secure a bid.

*Win 5 more games (9-7, 19-10): Still may need an opening round win to put us in the NCAA.

*Win out (10-6, 20-9): We are dancing!!!!

Nothing less than 10-6 will get us in (not counting a run through the ACC tourney). We have exactly zero impressive non-conf wins. The only teams worth a darm that we played were Davidson, Florida and Marquette, and they all beat us. 8-8 in conference will not do it no matter what we do in teh tourney. 9-7 probably won't either. Anything less than 10-6 is NIT material. Even at 10-6, I think we need a ACC tourney win just to be sure.

We don't have any bad losses (like ECU and UNO last year), and that helps, but only so much.

I personally will be stunned if we manage 7 wins. Sidney should get at least one vote for coach of the year if that happens....

Derreck
16th February 2009, 20:28
Nothing less than 10-6 will get us in (not counting a run through the ACC tourney). We have exactly zero impressive non-conf wins. The only teams worth a darm that we played were Davidson, Florida and Marquette, and they all beat us. 8-8 in conference will not do it no matter what we do in teh tourney. 9-7 probably won't either. Anything less than 10-6 is NIT material. Even at 10-6, I think we need a ACC tourney win just to be sure.

We don't have any bad losses (like ECU and UNO last year), and that helps, but only so much.

I personally will be stunned if we manage 7 wins. Sidney should get at least one vote for coach of the year if that happens....

Actually our record and RPI at this point is very similar to how it was the year we went 7-9 in the ACC and still went to the NCAA tourney, and then to the sweet 16. And we had some bad loses that season. The selection committee weighs heavily how you finish out the year. Going 6-2 over the final eight regular season games and picking up a game or two in the ACC tourney will get us in IMO.

LSmith
16th February 2009, 20:30
Even at 10-6, I think we need a ACC tourney win just to be sure.

If we finish 10-6 I will bet both my testicles that we are in regardless of what happens the 1rst round of the ACC tourney. The selection committee looks at how you finish the season. Win our last 8 conference games would be damn impressive. There has never been a 10-6 ACC team to be omitted since the current 64 team format. I beleive FSU is the only 9-7 ACC team not to make the dance and that was during a weak ACC year (I beleive only 4 teams made the dance that year). The ACC is strong this year and I would be very surprised if we finished 9-7 and did not make it in.

Matt Nicholson
17th February 2009, 08:42
If I'm wrong, I'll be here to eat my words.

The committee does indeed look at how you finish. I'll give you that. But, the days of a conference getting 7 or 8 teams in are long gone. The committee loves the mid-major (Dayton, Davidson, VCU, etc, etc.) and judging by George Mason's run to the final 4 a few years ago and Davidson's run last year, they have reason to. It makes a great story. And that means ratings.

I think ACC will get 5-6 in, probably 6. UNC, Duke, Wake, and Clemson are locks. BC has wins over UNC and Duke so barring a disaster, they're looking good. That leaves everyone else battling for the last one. Uva and Ga Tech are out (barring a UGA miracle run through conference tourney), so that leaves us, Miami, FSU, and Va Tech and Maryland to battle for the last one. And we've already lost to FSU and Va Tech.

I think NIT is realistic, and only requires 2 more wins, which I think we can do. Given the complete disaster of last season, I will consider NIT an improvement and therefore willing to grant a 5th year for Lowe.

LSmith
26th February 2009, 21:31
With the loss tonight at Wake we need to win our last 3 and at least win 1 and probably 2 ACC tournament games to make it in the dance. Another regular season loss and nothing short of the automatic bid via ACC tournament champions will get us in the dance.

We probably will need at least 2 more wins to get into the NIT.

Regardless of where we end up I feel if we play our last 3 games and however many tournament games we have like we have done the past 5 or six games we will have alot of positives going into next season.

LSmith
1st March 2009, 21:07
After tonight's loss against the Twerps it is all about building for next season from this point on.

A miracle run in the ACC tournament is not impossible but certainly unlikely.

Smith will be a great force next season. We just need to be some consistency with our perimeter play to compliment him.

Ken Stallings
1st March 2009, 23:11
Yep, that's about what we can take from this season. Extra practice time for the NIT is the big benefit from that, but not where we want to be.

Ken

gjones1968
3rd March 2009, 14:05
Agreed. The players have to come out and play with the same level of intensity night after night. Until they learn that we will continue to flounder behind the other big four members.

Matt Nicholson
3rd March 2009, 15:09
When are the BC and Miami games?

Eshack
3rd March 2009, 15:32
It will be our luck that T. Smith gets some bad advice and goes pro! :(

LSmith
3rd March 2009, 19:42
It will be our luck that T. Smith gets some bad advice and goes pro!

Now that is a depressing thought!!! I think if nothing else we have a coach who the players respect as far advice on the NBA draft and what is best for the player. Tracy ain't ready yet.

LSmith
3rd March 2009, 19:45
When are the BC and Miami games?

BC tomorrow night at 7:00 and Miami Saturday at noon.

gjones1968
4th March 2009, 14:36
Tracy has a huge upside but, if he stays in school and works on his game, he could go in the top ten or be a lottery lock. That's only if he stays in school and works on his game.

Derreck
4th March 2009, 15:09
People forget that Tracey was a top 50 player out of HS. He just did not get a lot of attention because of JJ. Tracey is a stud and will be a focal point next year when Ben moves on.

Stephen Sparks
4th March 2009, 18:25
People forget that Tracey was a top 50 player out of HS. He just did not get a lot of attention because of JJ. Tracey is a stud and will be a focal point next year when Ben moves on.

He's a much better post player than anyone we have now. He'll be 1st team All-ACC if he contiues to improve. Another player that's shown flashes of talent is CJ Williams, he's just having a typical freshman year.

Right now we need to secure the services of a good point guard. Think of getting Russell Wilson in the form of a point guard, doesn't kill you with unforced turnovers, gets the ball where it needs to be in the hands of the person it needs to go to. Right now we have the equivelent of Harrison Beck, Justin Burke and Daniel Evans at point guard. I'm not putting these guys down, they weren't cut out to be the qb's that O'brien could use to run his offense. Degand, Gonsalez and Mayes just don't seem to be able to run the team the Lowe wants it run.

LSmith
4th March 2009, 18:32
Right now we have the equivelent of Harrison Beck, Justin Burke and Daniel Evans at point guard.

Great analogy LOL. I just can't figure who's who. I would have to say Javi is more like "throw it up for grabs" Beck.

Matt Nicholson
4th March 2009, 18:45
It's about time Horner regains his form. He has 3 threes in the 1st half. Pack up 43-34 @ half. Looking good so far.

Game is on ESPNUnavailibleinyourarea...