PDA

View Full Version : ASU Tanking:

Derreck
6th March 2009, 18:59
I try not to bring up (coach that shall not be named) because I think we are both better off. However in light of the many articles that have been written about NCSU vs. ASU I figured I would vent a little. ASU is doing exactly what we had become all too use to while (coach that shall not be named) was here. Reading some of the ASU message boards. They are starting to understand what we tried to tell them...

Eshack
6th March 2009, 19:22
I watched the game last night against Stanford, who had not won a road game in the Pac-10, I couldn't but smile to myself.

Eshack
6th March 2009, 19:37
Good grief, I went to ASU's free Scout board and it is scary!
Sounds just like a repeat of ours a few years ago.

Ken Stallings
6th March 2009, 20:05
I know exactly how you feel about it Derreck! We went down that road so often. I don't want to see Herb fail, but too many tried to make a point about Herb this season to directly infer NC State forced him out and was wrong to do so. Revisionist history of the worst type!

He quit. He wasn't fired. He wasn't asked to leave, although many of us reached the painful conclusion he should have been asked to leave.

But this is the formula of Herb. Play well early, schedule to barely reach the dance, and then settle for one or two wins and call it a successful season. It was scientific in its approach and anticeptic in its sense of emotion and satisfaction.

Ken

Matt Nicholson
7th March 2009, 06:57
It only took them 3 years....

Ken Stallings
7th March 2009, 14:11
It only took them 3 years....

What part of "weaker conference" don't you understand?

Seriously!

Ken

Matt Nicholson
7th March 2009, 14:45
Not what I meant Ken. I should have been more clear. My bad.

It only took them 3 years to understand why we had enough. Great starts with a good record built off playing cupcakes and a down-the-stretch fade that turns a 2 or 3 NCAA seed into a 7 or 8.

Sounds kinda like season 10 here, doesn't it?

Ken Stallings
7th March 2009, 17:40
Ah, my mistake! Sorry about that! :o

Ken

Matt Nicholson
7th March 2009, 21:23
Nope, my bad. I should have been more specific. I'l try to do better in the future.

avisocan
8th March 2009, 11:14
I had been reading some of those ASU vs. NCSU commentaries that were out there... I and I thought a great deal about where we are with Sid right now.

Anyway, the conclusion that I came to was that Sid may or may not be the guy -- we really don't know. It is still too early. The one thing we did know was that Herb, though decent, was not taking us to the place we wanted to be with the program. Regardless of whether Sid works out or not is irrelevant, a change had to be made.

So, seeing what ASU is going through now --- well, that tells me that the right choice was made.

Matt Nicholson
8th March 2009, 18:31
^what he said^

Ken Stallings
8th March 2009, 20:05
I'd rather roll the dice and try for championships again than remain satisfied with perpetually backing into the NCAA in a 6-8 seed slot!

Ken

Derreck
8th March 2009, 23:05
Well Said Andrew, and that is what so many in the media and such fail to see (understand).

Prowling Woofie
9th March 2009, 15:21
Well Said Andrew, and that is what so many in the media and such fail to see (understand).

And what so many in the media fail to acknowledge is that IT WAS HERB'S CHOICE !!!!

He quit and walked away from NCSU...

Stephen Sparks
9th March 2009, 17:27
If he'd of stayed, Sendek would've probably been fired with the team he would've returned. Simmons was gone regardless and Brackman decided to focus on Baseball.

The only additions that we would've had was Werner and Davis. How have those guys done? Not really tearing up the NCAA's right now are they. Well Werner is playing good for UF, how would they have done in the old weave and heave?

Every game that Sendek coached would have ben a referendum on his job for the past 11 years. He made the right decision for him and we were able to move on.

Lowe may still not be the answer to where the fans and boosters want the program to go, but it was never going to go where the fans wanted it to go with Sendek, and that was what was so frustrating with him.

Ken Stallings
9th March 2009, 17:43
Chris Wright was already committed to NC State. We let him out of that commitment when Herb left. So, he might have done OK.

Ken

Mad Gene Vane
9th March 2009, 19:08
Wright never signed an LOI. He had given a verbal commitment, which he switched to Georgetown at the last minute.

Ken Stallings
9th March 2009, 20:00
Wright never signed an LOI. He had given a verbal commitment, which he switched to Georgetown at the last minute.

That is a good point. Until the LOI is signed, a verbal ultimately means nothing.

Cheers,

Ken

Stephen Sparks
9th March 2009, 21:01
Wright verbaled with the class that would've included him, Hickson, Smith and Thomas.

Herb's lasat official class was Larry Davis, Dan Werner and Dennis Horner.

Horner is the only recruit that elected to stay with Sid.

gjones1968
10th March 2009, 15:13
Anybody got a link to this website that talks about the former head coach?

Derreck
10th March 2009, 15:45
Anybody got a link to this website that talks about the former head coach?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=43&f=1681&t=4034772

Here ya go...

gjones1968
11th March 2009, 08:04
Some of that sounds very familiar. I don't care if Herb succeeds or fails. All I care about is us giving Lowe enough time, so we can see what we have in a team and a coach. The program will not be his for another two years. That will put us in year five of a six year deal.

packinjax
11th March 2009, 12:53
Being able to get people to buy into a system they weren't recruited for is a good indication of a good coach. That being said just because a coach isn't able to get his non-recruits to buy in doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad coach.

avisocan
11th March 2009, 13:02
From that Scout Thread:

Our offense just flat out sucks. I'm so f'n tired of seeing 3 players stand behind the three point line and pass it back and forth while Pendergraph moves around in the key and doesn't get position.

GJones was right on... Where have we heard that before?

gjones1968
11th March 2009, 15:14
To tell you the truth I am looking forward to the next few years!!! I think we will be a lot better than people think, and I dare say that we will make a run in the tourney that begins tomorrow.

I look for one of our players to step up and have a good game all the way around. Whether that happens remains to be seen but, I think it will happen.

Eshack
15th March 2009, 14:22
A typical loss by ASU, their fans better get used to it.
I don't know whether it is better to flat out suck, like NCSU, or think you have something when you really don't!

Duke wins another........think I'll go throw up now.........