PDA

View Full Version : Here is the way to help fix college BBall!

Derreck
2nd June 2009, 19:05
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/01/AR2009060102459.html

I gotta agree with this.

Mad Gene Vane
2nd June 2009, 19:34
It'd rid the game of one-and-dones, which are a real drag on college basketball. Those players can go to Europe or Australia and play a year and then go to the NBA.

Ken Stallings
2nd June 2009, 19:39
A very well written column! I am not sure that freshman ineligibility is the best answer, but I'm totally convinced it's better than the current one-and-done situation. After reading her column, she swayed me toward agreeing with bringing it back.

I've always been a purist that the degree comes first. I would like to see the focus remain a tight tie between successful degree pursuit and scholarship.

The NCAA made a nice statement when it tied graduation rate to preservation of the scholarship. I think that's where the rubber hits the road on that issue.

However, freshman ineligiblity, combined with the NBA's terrible rule on draft eligibility, would force those who don't desire a degree to leave for Europe and frankly I'd prefer to see that happen immediately. If a kid doesn't want to pursue a free college education, then pack off to Europe and make your living!

Ken

Matt Nicholson
3rd June 2009, 09:01
They can also go into the D-league (according to David Stern on ESPNRadio The Herd yesterday).

Stephen Sparks
3rd June 2009, 11:51
Why not make the 1st year a mandatory red-shirt year with 5 to play 4 and then give hardship cases for injuries, et al. It doesn't hurt the players that might take 4 years to develop into a professional athelete and injuries could then be taken on a case by case basis.

Ken Stallings
3rd June 2009, 13:23
They can also go into the D-league (according to David Stern on ESPNRadio The Herd yesterday).

That's true. However, the kids can make more money in Europe than in the D-League. Stern knows that. This is just another reason why people should really consider David Stern a villain in all this. Stern could immediately end this whole nonsense by making a simple rule. It would be the same as baseball.

Kid has one chance to enter the NBA draft out of high school. He gets drafted and knows his slot. Then he can negotiate his salary but if he doesn't like his position, then he can enter college on scholarship. But, he's ineligible for the NBA draft until completing his junior season.

What this does is restore the integrity of the college process. Why hasn't Stern done it? He claims the NBA would be sued. But that's funny considering the NFL is even more strict. The NFL doesn't draft anyone until completing three years of college ball. They haven't been sued. So Stern is full of it, which for him is normal.

Ken

Ken Stallings
3rd June 2009, 13:25
Why not make the 1st year a mandatory red-shirt year with 5 to play 4 and then give hardship cases for injuries, et al. It doesn't hurt the players that might take 4 years to develop into a professional athelete and injuries could then be taken on a case by case basis.

That's how it would work. In fact, I recall that's how it was originally. Still, David Thompson was the best argument against the freshman ineligibility. It cost NC State another conference championship. His freshman team actually outdrew the varsity team when DT played!

Ken

Prowling Woofie
3rd June 2009, 20:08
That's how it would work. In fact, I recall that's how it was originally. Still, David Thompson was the best argument against the freshman ineligibility. It cost NC State another conference championship. His freshman team actually outdrew the varsity team when DT played!

Ken

My dad and I would show up early just to watch the JV's play Thompson's freshman year. Always a great show !!! Reynolds was just full of people salivating for the next year :)