PDA

View Full Version : USC's Tim Floyd resigns

Eshack
9th June 2009, 21:10
Per ESPN......interesting/
The ghosts of OJ come back to haunt Tim?

Matt Nicholson
9th June 2009, 21:13
WOW! And yes.

Eshack
9th June 2009, 21:40
Strange time to resign from a basketball coaching job isn't it?
Must be the full moon!:rolleyes:

Derreck
9th June 2009, 21:45
WOW, I am speakless...

Ken Stallings
9th June 2009, 21:59
Good for USC!

OJ Mayo was a amateur in name only, really a professional in waiting. I am glad the USC had the courage to run Floyd out of town.

I am ready for the NCAA to get ruthless on coaches and restore integrity to the process. College basketball is tainted more today than perhaps at any time since the wave of betting scandals during the 1950's and early 60's.

A message must be sent. If as a coach, you find out that one of your players took money outside NCAA laws, the kid should be immediately benched pending investigation and if the allegations are proven true by reasonable standards, the kid should be immediately cut from the team and his scholarship revoked.

Any coach who fails to do this becomes as guilty as the agent who paid the kid and the kid who took the money. All these kids are briefed in detail on their obligations under NCAA rules as a condition of accepting their scholarships.

You or I breech essential terms of a contract worth $500,000 to $250,000 and getting fired would be the least of our worries. Civil court for return of contract value would be a very real possibility.

Ken

Ken Stallings
9th June 2009, 22:23
Here's the link to the ESPN story. This is the first I had heard of Floyd paying someone money to steer Mayo to his team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4246625

That's a very corrupt thing to do.

Again, I applaud USC for firing him. The official word is he offered his resignation to the AD. But common sense says he was told to do it, so he was fired.

I hope this is the tip of the iceberg. This crap of pseudo-agents with the AAU circuit must be crushed hard.

Ken

Eshack
10th June 2009, 05:59
There is a lot of funny stuff surrounding USC football program also, ala Reggie Bush.

Matt Nicholson
10th June 2009, 11:29
Tim Floyd will never coach a college team again. You simply CANNOT do that sort of thing and be OK. The NCAA has got to ban him, pretty much like they did Kelvin Sampson.

Mad Gene Vane
10th June 2009, 19:11
Eddie Sutton recovered from similar problems and had a nice coaching career, even after the pay-to-play stuff at Kentucky came to light.

I can see Floyd coaching somewhere in a year or two, may not be a big name program or in a big name conference, but someone will want to hire him.

avisocan
11th June 2009, 09:56
When I first heard about Floyd's resignation, I thought that Floyd was the sacrificial lamb for the USC athletics department. It's a way for USC to tell the NCAA how much they believe in compliance, standards, blah-blah-blah. All the while, the Reggie Bush matters and Pete Carrol get a free pass.

Eshack
11th June 2009, 13:07
When I first heard about Floyd's resignation, I thought that Floyd was the sacrificial lamb for the USC athletics department. It's a way for USC to tell the NCAA how much they believe in compliance, standards, blah-blah-blah. All the while, the Reggie Bush matters and Pete Carrol get a free pass.

This could very well be the case!
The NCAA and USC athletics don't want to mess with that cash cow that is USC football!
Kinda reminds you of UNC basketball doesn't it?