PDA

View Full Version : Coach K to the Lakers?

Derreck
18th June 2009, 16:54
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/blog/3572041/

I wonder...

packinjax
18th June 2009, 18:18
No surprise they would go after him again. He's further proven himself coaching a bunch of pros to a gold. The question is would he go.

Ken Stallings
19th June 2009, 04:16
If there's a pro job out there he would take, it would have to be the Lakers. It's not only the first or second most prestigious job in NBA history, but it's clearly the number one job right now.

Any other offer, I'd say no way! This one ... it could happen, and no one could blame him.

Ken

Matt Nicholson
19th June 2009, 04:17
He didn't leave when he was younger.

And lets face it, any NBA team can outspend any college team. If it is 100% about money, they can get him and there's not much Duke can do about it.

I say he stays becuase he wants a lasting legacy at Duke, and he doesn't want that legacy to be "take the money and run..."

Plus, there's no clear successor, although Capel is doing one hell of a job out at Oklahoma.

D Wolf
19th June 2009, 06:08
Am I the only one annoyed by that website's use of tarhole blue in all their headings. I couldn't take it for very long.

Derreck
19th June 2009, 08:04
He didn't leave when he was younger.

And lets face it, any NBA team can outspend any college team. If it is 100% about money, they can get him and there's not much Duke can do about it.

I say he stays becuase he wants a lasting legacy at Duke, and he doesn't want that legacy to be "take the money and run..."

Plus, there's no clear successor, although Capel is doing one hell of a job out at Oklahoma.

I am not so sure Matt. Roy told UNC no once too before taking the job the second time around. I think that Coach K might take it this time...

Derreck
19th June 2009, 08:05
Am I the only one annoyed by that website's use of tarhole blue in all their headings. I couldn't take it for very long.

No, It annoyed me too...

packinjax
19th June 2009, 11:43
I am not so sure Matt. Roy told UNC no once too before taking the job the second time around. I think that Coach K might take it this time...

I'm not saying he won't, but the Roy/UNC situation was much different. Unlike Roy, K has no ties to the Lakers other than them recruiting him before and him recruiting Kobe.

I would doubt that he would go. He's well entrenched at Duke beyond the basketball program. But if he feels he's done just about all he can do, maybe he would make the move.

Derreck
19th June 2009, 12:17
I'm not saying he won't, but the Roy/UNC situation was much different. Unlike Roy, K has no ties to the Lakers other than them recruiting him before and him recruiting Kobe.

I would doubt that he would go. He's well entrenched at Duke beyond the basketball program. But if he feels he's done just about all he can do, maybe he would make the move.

I agree that there is some differences between the two situations, but I was merely saying that just because you say no once, does not mean you will say no again. Also, to be quite frank, as long as Roy is at UNC, I see UNC owning Duke. That will not sit with coach K. There have been some rumblings of late that coach K is growing tired of the recruiting process also.

Now, I am not saying he would go or not, but I would not dismiss it.

DUKERULES14
19th June 2009, 15:26
I don't think money will be an issue here, like it wasn't the first time he was offered IMO.

I think it will come down to whether or not he thinks he can get Duke back to Final Four-status or not. At 62 he's getting on up there but still young enough to coach for at least 3-4 more years. If he takes the job it would pretty much say that he probably thinks he can't do it, and therefore wants to try his luck in the pro ranks, where recruiting is a non-factor.

As for potential successors, the only one with Duke connections that I would want at this point in time would be Capel, he's been a success everywhere he's been and he would also bring youth into the program. If he doesn't want it then I hope we look elsewhere.

It will be weird in the coming years watching Duke without K on the sidelines, but if he honestly thinks he can't lead us back to the FF, then I'll be fine if he takes the Lakers job in all honesty. We'll have to replace him eventually anyhow.

Anyway, there is just my take on the situation FWIW

D Wolf
22nd June 2009, 05:13
I have doubts that he would take the Lakers job just because the pro game has such a long and grueling schedule. At 62 does he really want to start that kind of lifestyle? The college game is grueling enough. I just don't see it happening.

Steve M
23rd June 2009, 08:07
K will leave if he feels UNC will be top dog for the next few years. Recruiting is an additional job requirment for college coaches. If he can get a ring with Lakers, he can hit the motivational speaker's circuit and retire as one of the best coaches in the history of the sport.

packinjax
23rd June 2009, 15:18
^^ He can already hit the circuit (and probably does). He already does leadership seminars with the business school at Duke. I'm sure each level of coaching has its high and low points.