PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition Game Tonight vs. St. Paul's College

D Wolf
5th November 2009, 09:10
Anyone besides me going tonight?

I'm interested to get a look at the new guys. I hope that they already have some maturity because I get the sense that we will need immediate contributions from nearly all of them, but especially the big guys.

I got a glimpse of Vandenberg on youtube with his dunk during the dunking contest surrounding the Red and White game. At least he looks somewhat athletic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adlspyxH-TE

Eshack
5th November 2009, 17:07
270 miles between here and there.....
I'm looking forward to your report.
I hope it is good!

LSmith
5th November 2009, 19:24
44-22 at the half according to the gametracker I am following. Must be playing some D even if it is St. Pauls College.

D Wolf
6th November 2009, 10:07
Not a bad crowd for an exhibition game. I'll be happy, though, when our program generates such excitement that we can fill the RBC center for an exhibition. As it was the upper level endzones of Reynolds were completely empty.

Its always a little hard to assess the team when playing such a weak opponent. However, here's my take:

Tracy Smith - Absolutely dominant over the smaller players. He could have scored 40+ if he had more minutes and they had kept feeding him. He was aggressive around the rim and would not be denied.

Dennis Horner - God bless him, he tried so hard to get the 3 to drop, but was 0 for 6. For a while it seemed that if he was behind the arc with the ball he was going to shoot. His shot looked much better inside from 18 feet and in. I just wish he would not spend so much time focusing on the 3 and maybe it will come to him.

CJ Williams - Pretty good role player, especially on the defensive end. Not a star...yet. As we know he can get hot. Let's hope he continues to develop.

Javi Gonzalez - Played well on both ends of the court, but especially on defense. He had 3 turnovers, but 6 assists and 4 steals to go with his 5 points.

Scott Wood - The brightest spot for the team the whole night. This kid has a beautiful stroke with a quick release. He was 4 for 4, all behind the arc. My only regret was that he didn't shoot more. I'm hoping that his coaches and his teammates will look for him to shoot a lot more.

Julius Mays - Played more minutes than anyone else, but not a lot to show for it. He didn't play poorly, he just didn't stand out.

Farnold Degand - Had a pretty good game with 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 1 turnover. He played pretty much under control.

DeShawn Painter - I was encouraged to see this guy play. He's going to need some time to get used to the college game, but I think he can be a real player at the ACC level. He has good athleticism and moves well to the ball and around the basket. He finished with 8 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 turnover.

Jordan Vandenberg - My expectations were low based on previous 7 footers that we've brought in, and Jordan far surpassed my expectations. He still has a lot of work to do to be ready for the ACC, but I definitely believe that he has the potential to be a real contributor, and not just off the bench. He's a good passer, but like many guys his size, has trouble handling the ball sometimes. He finished last night with 6 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, but with 5 turnovers.

Johnny Thomas - He's still not getting it for some reason. The only guys who played fewer minutes than him were the walk-ons. In his 9 minutes he had 3 turnovers to go along with his 4 points. I hope this guy connects the dots and learns to play to his physical ability.

Josh Davis - Since this guy was local and not very highly recruited, I frankly didn't have high expectations for him. However, he played aggressively but under control. He contributed on both ends of the court with 3 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 turnover. He was a pleasant surprise and I think that he will be able to contribute as well.

Of the three rotating point gaurds, Javi, Julius, and Farnold, Sid frequently had two on the court at a time, which seemed to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, Richard Howell's injury kept him out of action. Bummer.

My summary after this lengthy analysis is that the returning players do not look appreciably different than what we saw last year. The incoming guys played well enough (especially Wood) to give me hope for the future and even for this year. The key for this year, however, is how quickly they mature in the college game. I don't believe that we will end up last in the conference as predicted, but I'm not sure we can advance enough, quickly enough to make the big dance. Hopefully they will surprise me.

Mad Gene Vane
6th November 2009, 19:10
Wish Horner gets his three point shot going. He was supposed be a sweet shooting SF coming out of high school, but has not gotten his shot to go down in college. Must be frustrating for him to not knock down those shots during games because I bet he can make them in practice.

Ken Stallings
6th November 2009, 20:27
I think Scott Wood has a real chance to end the season as a force. If Jordan Vandenberg can fill in to a solid center, this team has a chance to surprise people.

Ken

Prowling Woofie
9th November 2009, 06:23
Thanks for the assessment, D Wolf -

This program building is just going to take a while, isn't it ?

As long as we're improving, I can be patient....

Matt Nicholson
10th November 2009, 20:27
Must. Be. Better. Than. Last. Two. Seasons.

MUST!

Another year of missing any postseason is simply unacceptable, no matter who is/is not here.