View Full Version : Pack vs. GS

Derreck
12th November 2009, 20:06
Pack wins 69 to 53.

It was not pretty, but it is a W.

LSmith
12th November 2009, 20:31
It was not pretty

Kind of expected 1rst game. Ga State looks to be pretty athletic with Marques Johnson and Joe Dukes both former ACC players and that 6-10 Hansbro kid that can pop from the perimeter. They are known for their D and especially on the prerimeter which was obvious tonight with the Pack going something like 3-16 from 3 point land. Looking at their schedule last season only 3-4 teams scored in the 80s on them including taking FSU to the wire losing 62-57.

I did not get to listen to the game but followed it on "live stats". I noticed Degand did not play. CJ Williams only scored 2 points in 27 minutes. Smith and Horner carried us with 18 and 15 points but Mays 16 points could be a springboard in to something good.

I would like to see the feedback of someone who saw the game but I would say with so many question marks going into this season losing our top 3 scorers from last season this was a very good win. Keep in mind the Holes struggled a bit in their opener with FIU. It is a long season and great to start it off with a "W".

Derreck
12th November 2009, 21:10
Degand was not playing due to a coaches decision...

Derreck
12th November 2009, 21:19
BTW, Javi 8 points, 8 assist, 8 rebounds, 0 turnovers.

LSmith
12th November 2009, 21:32
Degand was not playing due to a coaches decision...

That seem to happen a few times last season as well. :rolleyes:

BTW, Javi 8 points, 8 assist, 8 rebounds, 0 turnovers.

That is solid. I assume Mays was playing the 2 guard for much of the night with Javi playing 31 minutes. Hopefully we are seeing the making of a very good back court.

rmpackman
12th November 2009, 22:05
It is academics with degand. According to coach lowe he is not ineligible but has not met sids benchmarks for the team. Makes me proud to have sid as our coach. That's integrity- who thinks calipari would have done that?? Not a pretty win tonight but a lot of positives to go along with a few negatives. I like the grit and attitude of this team!!!!

Mad Gene Vane
12th November 2009, 22:14
Anyone know the extent of Howell's injury and when he is expected to play this year?

rmpackman
12th November 2009, 22:16
Last I heard it was a torn meniscus. The repair went well and he is ahead of schedule in rehab. Projected to be back mid december at about 80 percent.

Derreck
13th November 2009, 10:28
I am also hearing the same about Howell's return...

Derreck
13th November 2009, 10:40
One thing that I liked from last night. When GS tied the game at 37-37 with about 13 min left in the game the Pack closed the game out by out scoring GS 32 to 16. I truly believe that last years team would have crumbled under the pressure. We may not win a lot of games or be that talented but we do have some pieces and if we can keep the poise that we showed last night with the talent we have coming in next year, the future looks bright.

LSmith
13th November 2009, 11:56
Is Johnny Thomas also injured? Noticed he did not play.

Ken Stallings
14th November 2009, 21:08
Two things in this thread stand out positively for me.

Georgia State is not a weak sister basketball team. They are pretty good.

I really like that Sid is living by the integrity of emphasizing degree progress in the classroom.

Go Pack!

Ken