PDA

View Full Version : ACC/ Big 10 Challenge (Pack vs. NW Tuesday)

Derreck
30th November 2009, 11:05
This is the first year that I have been really concerned about the ACC winning the challenge.

However, we will find out a great deal about our team Tuesday night. NW is coming to Raleigh after recently knocking off #15 ND, is something like 5-1 with the one loss to Butler. If we can win this game, my prognostication for the season changes greatly.

Prowling Woofie
30th November 2009, 15:50
Hope Howell gets more time, more boards, more points ! We're going to need him to get up to speed in a hurry...

LSmith
30th November 2009, 21:33
Is the Virginia/Penn State game tonight part of the challenge? If so the ACC is 0-1 out of the gates.

Ken Stallings
1st December 2009, 02:50
Is the Virginia/Penn State game tonight part of the challenge? If so the ACC is 0-1 out of the gates.

It was and the conference is. :(

Ken

Prowling Woofie
1st December 2009, 08:02
This is the first year that I have been really concerned about the ACC winning the challenge.

Me, too, Derreck... hate to say it, but I might actually have to pull for UNX against MSU, just out of conference loyalty.

That's going to suck...

Steve M
1st December 2009, 12:21
The RBC will be rocking tonight!! Hopefully the crowd will motivate the players to step up their game. NW is a solid team and should test the Pack on both ends of the floor. Solid guard play from Javi and help off the bench will be critical to getting a win.

LSmith
1st December 2009, 19:11
The RBC will be rocking tonight!!

Not really rocking tonight. Looks about half empty. I guess when you only committ 2 fouls in a half kinda sez something about your lack of D. Of course the refs are not calling many fouls with NW only with 6 in the 1rst half and our bigs getting hacked everytime the ball goes in the paint. Looks like we are picking up the intensity to start the 2nd.

LSmith
1st December 2009, 19:16
And damn doesn't Tim Stoddard look old and fat???? Wandered what happened to him. I guess he could be doing alot worse than pitching coach at NW.

Mad Gene Vane
1st December 2009, 19:38
Cut it to 4 and my first thought is NW scores and sad to say...I guessed right...

Damn this team's frustrating. NW's unheralded freshman are hitting shots, our somewhat heralded freshman are building a house with bricks they're laying.

Derreck
1st December 2009, 19:54
Like I said, we may not win many games but this team will fight. We have shot like crap tonight but have managed to keep it close.

Mad Gene Vane
1st December 2009, 19:57
Derreck can you hit me with some optimism? We missed a ton of open shots tonight, but I don't know if that's a good excuse for losing a ball game.

Derreck
1st December 2009, 20:01
Derreck can you hit me with some optimism? We missed a ton of open shots tonight, but I don't know if that's a good excuse for losing a ball game.

Teams have nights that shots will not fall. It's still early and this was a big step up in competition from what we have been playing. NW is gonna be a team to reckon with in the Big 10. We have learned from every game and gotten better. Now that the players have a taste of this competition we will see what they have learned from tonight against Marquette. I, for one, think we will all be pleasantly surprised.

LSmith
1st December 2009, 20:14
PROBLEM #UNO: WE CANNOT THROW THE BALL IN THE OCEAN!!!!!!!!!

35% shooting and 2-18 from behind the arc. We had Wood who was money in HS go 0-6, Mays 0-3, and Williams 0-3.

Considering we could not hit outside shots and the refs swallowing their whistle in the paint most of the night (not blaming them, they were fairly consistent and I prefer the physical inside play when the refs are consistent on both ends) I thought Tracy did a hell of a job to score 23 points.

I like our hustle and fight but if we can at least shoot average from the perimeter to take some pressure off Smith we could be a good team.

Stephen Sparks
1st December 2009, 20:37
I watched the game as well. The only backcourt player that is ACC caliber right now is Javi. He has really improved. Tracy was the player I expected him to be. Horner looked good as well. The freshmen looked ok, nothing spectacular, but not bad at all considering this is their 5th collegiate game.

Effort was there for the most part all game. We generated some to's on D and that is a pleasant surprise. The offense generated plenty of open shots both in the paint and outside as well, they just didn't go in. Our guys couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle, but they were never hesitant in pulling the trigger and that's a positive. The only way to pull out of a shooting slump is to keep shooting. The O was executed properly, the shots wouldn't fall tonite.

You can't control if the shots gonna fall, you can't control how the refs are gonna call, but you can control your effort and desire. Effort and desire were there tonite. I'm proud of the fight in this team. GO PACK!!!!

LSmith
1st December 2009, 20:52
Our guys couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle

LOL! Have not heard that one.

We are certainly not the only ACC team struggling offensively tonight with Wake only scoring 58 in their 69-58 loss to Perdue.

On another note I was a little dissapointed in the intensity at the beginning of the game and the atmosphere in the RBC. Looking at the UNC game tonight you see a packed and very loud Dean Dome. Granted I am sitting at home on my butt tonight watching the games so I am as much to blame as anyone but the RBC needs to be packed and loud every game and especialy a National televised game like tonight.

Stephen Sparks
1st December 2009, 21:37
Smith, a friend of mine used to say it when he was struggling hitting a shot. It stuck with me over the years. Keep in mind though that this is our 2nd game in 3 days. Just 1 day to rest and prepare for this game.

The hole dome is packed, but this is a rematch of the nat. champ game from last year and a game between 2 top 15 teams. We're expected to finish dead last and Northwestern isn't exactly a household name either.

Wish the RBC Center was on campus just like Reynolds. Would be a lot bigge crowd in attendance I would bet. I loved games in the Old Barn, that atmosphere will be very hard to duplicate.

LSmith
1st December 2009, 22:04
The hole dome is packed, but this is a rematch of the nat. champ game from last year and a game between 2 top 15 teams. We're expected to finish dead last and Northwestern isn't exactly a household name either.

Wish the RBC Center was on campus just like Reynolds. Would be a lot bigge crowd in attendance I would bet. I loved games in the Old Barn, that atmosphere will be very hard to duplicate.

Good point.

Prowling Woofie
2nd December 2009, 07:21
Stephen, I may be wrong, but I think that line came from the movie 'Patton', with George C Scott...

I'm old enough to remember that... sigh...

Prowling Woofie
2nd December 2009, 07:25
Given the fact that NW plays Herb ball, and that our guys only had 1 day to prepare for it, I think they did OK - would've been nice to shoot the ball better, but some nights are like that.

Good hustle, good effort, no quitting and no one pouting on the court - I'll take it !!!

Mad Gene Vane
2nd December 2009, 07:58
LOL! Have not heard that one.

We are certainly not the only ACC team struggling offensively tonight with Wake only scoring 58 in their 69-58 loss to Perdue.

On another note I was a little dissapointed in the intensity at the beginning of the game and the atmosphere in the RBC. Looking at the UNC game tonight you see a packed and very loud Dean Dome. Granted I am sitting at home on my butt tonight watching the games so I am as much to blame as anyone but the RBC needs to be packed and loud every game and especialy a National televised game like tonight.

Carolina has won two national titles in the last 5 years. We've had a first round loss in the NCAA's and a third round loss in the NIT as the highlights of our program in the last five years.

If we'd won two national titles in the last 5 years, I know for a fact the RBC center would be packed, including the corporate LTR seats.

The fact people still show up to watch a bad team is all we can hope for.

Ken Stallings
2nd December 2009, 08:16
Stephen, I may be wrong, but I think that line came from the movie 'Patton', with George C Scott...

I'm old enough to remember that... sigh...

Actually it came from the movie "Midway" and was attributed in the movie to Admiral William Halsey as he watched his pilots trying to bomb a tow target tug behind a destroyer. When one of the attributed Lieutenants had his bomb miss, the character of Halsey said in the movie, "Well, you can tell Lt XYZ that he couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle!"

The Lieutenant's commander along side Halsey got a very uncomfortable look and muttered a "Yes, sir!" :D

Ken

Ken Stallings
2nd December 2009, 08:17
No one has yet asked and I had to work last night so didn't get to see the game on TV. What was up with all the layups we missed, especially Tracy Smith!?!

In the post game play-by-play I read, it seemed like we missed a ton of layups -- more than enough to have won the game if we hit them.

Ken

Derreck
2nd December 2009, 08:23
No one has yet asked and I had to work last night so didn't get to see the game on TV. What was up with all the layups we missed, especially Tracy Smith!?!

In the post game play-by-play I read, it seemed like we missed a ton of layups -- more than enough to have won the game if we hit them.

Ken

The ref's "let them play" last night in the paint. It was evenly called on both ends but the ref's allowed a LOT of contact in the paint.

Prowling Woofie
2nd December 2009, 08:27
Thanks for the correction, Ken - I knew it was from one of the old WWII classics...:)

Mad Gene Vane
2nd December 2009, 09:12
Anybody know if that 6'11" Serbian freshman NW had has a kid brother? We could use an immediate impact player like that. Kid hit shots in the low post and drilled a heart breaking three pointer, when he had first cut the lead to 4 pts.

We really could use immediate impact freshman like that ours aren't going to develop for another few years it seems.

rmpackman
2nd December 2009, 11:20
at the game last night. surprised as well at how empty the RBC was. The critical issue I saw was that we did not have a 2 guard that could hit shots. the offense looked disjointed at times (not alot of motion/ alot of standing around against the 1-3-1 especially). Our small guards had tons of trouble with the traps. We will see a lot of zone this year unless Wood/ CJ/ Mays start hitting with some consistency. Anybody know why Johnny Thomas/ Richard Howell did not play? JV only payed about 2 mins in the 1st half and never saw him again. Any ideas???

rmpackman
2nd December 2009, 11:23
p.s. all that said, NW is not a pushover. they have beat some good teams this year and i am glad to see that we put a fight when we could have wilted. i like the hustle and heart that this team is showing early. Just wish they could hit a jumper!

Mad Gene Vane
2nd December 2009, 19:00
rmpackman, what do you expect attendance to be after three years of 10th, 12th, and 10th place finishes in conference, and two years of no post-season play? I remember going to a Duke game, in 1993 or 1994, at Reynolds and the place was maybe 3/4th full, with a third of those attending being Duke fans.

Sucking should negatively effect attendance.

From a post Derreck made on another thread, he said Thomas is having knee problems. I'm guessing the same's the case with Howell or something relating to the fact he missed all of the practices the team had, until recently, recovering from his knee surgery. I think Howell will take some time to get into shape and learn what his role is.

rmpackman
3rd December 2009, 09:10
Mad Gene- defiantely see you point!! However, I guess I am an eternal optimist when it comes to this team. Would have liked to see at least a 2/3 full RBC for a nationally televised game. I know this team has a lot to prove, but there are some things to be excited about. The heart and hustle of this team is different from the last 2 years. They don't mope or quit! They play hard, if not always well. I can accept that as a sign of better days ahead!! We have a long way to go-thats for sure to be what we know we should be.

Matt Nicholson
3rd December 2009, 09:25
Well, they finally won a challenge. What are we now, eleventybillion-1 in this thing?

The Duke game was surprising....

Prowling Woofie
3rd December 2009, 10:58

Matt, not really surprising to me. Knowing the physical style of play that Wisconsin employs, and it was in their house, and the fact that Duke doesn't like being leaned on, I was expecting a Duke loss.

That they almost pulled off the win despite being outplayed all night was what amazed me ! Until the last minute, Duke still had an opportunity to salvage the game.

That Hughes kid was impressive for the Badgers - much too quick for anyone on the Dookies roster.

Ken Stallings
4th December 2009, 07:37
Well, they finally won a challenge. What are we now, eleventybillion-1 in this thing?

I think the ACC is 10-1. My view is that it was bound to finally happen, especially considering most years it came down to a single game margin.

Ken