PDA

View Full Version : Virginia at the RBC

Ken Stallings
6th January 2010, 21:27
Dedicated conference play now begins!

The Cavs come calling at the RBC with an 8-4 record. This will be their first conference game. Looking at their record so far, the Wahoos have defeated no team of consequence. Perhaps their best win so far is against Cleveland State. In terms of common opponents, the Cavs lost to Auburn on the road 68-67.

This is a must win conference game for the Pack. Virginia is not considered a strong team in the conference this season. A win puts the Pack at 1-1 in conference play. A loss puts the Pack squarely into the cellar of conference standings, and needing some upsets to emerge from it.

Go Pack!

Ken

Stephen Sparks
6th January 2010, 23:00
For this team to have a chance at having a winning conference record, they must win this game. Also this game will be a barometer of where this team stands in the conference. A win and we're atleast better than 12th in the ACC. jmo.

LSmith
7th January 2010, 22:10
Perhaps their best win so far is against Cleveland State. In terms of common opponents, the Cavs lost to Auburn on the road 68-67.

They also beat a very good 13-2 Alabama Birmingham team that has beaten Georgia, Cincinnati, Butler, and Arkansas.

I hate to see the phrase "must win" this early in the ACC season but I agree a loss certainly would put us at the bottom looking up. I really do think this is a year that anybody can beat anybody in the ACC. I don't buy into the theory that the ACC is weak this season because UNC's 1rst round draft choices are freshman instead of Jrs and Srs and we lost the ACC/Big Ten challenge for the 1rst time since it began even though it was by one game. The top dog may not be as strong but the rest of the pack looks to have plenty of bite.

I think this season will be fun to watch with most games being a dog fight and comming down to the wire. Duke certainly seems to be in the drivers seat and their win against Clemson was impressive. The teams that manage the end of the games the best and also have a bit of luck (hopefully not Florida luck unless we are the ones heaving up the prayer that goes in) will make the dance. There will be ACC teams that take Duke and Carolina to the wire that will not even make the NIT.

I will be dissapointed if our final game is in the ACC tournament. Until then I am taking it one game at a time. No loss ends the season and no win makes the season.

packinjax
8th January 2010, 14:28
Must win - the need to win this game and every other subsequent game through the end of the season to accomplish a specific goal...

Mad Gene Vane
9th January 2010, 12:58
We suck...blowing a ten point lead half way through the second half...

Then blowing a four point lead late in the game...

What are the odds for going 0-16 in conference play???

I'm very close to wanting to get Lowe fired right now...we were badly out coached today...

LSmith
9th January 2010, 13:30
From here on out it is all about managing the end of games and we are piss poor at it right now.

Matt Nicholson
9th January 2010, 13:47
I was really hoping with some early decent performances against some decent out-of-conference teams we might do something positive this year. Looks like I was wrong. You can NOT drop home conference games to weak opponents. This was a bottom-of-conference performance from bottom-of-conference team. Very disappointing....

I'm very close to wanting to get Lowe fired right now...we were badly out coached today...

There's a lot of ^this^ going around. Regardless of how this season plays out and whether Sidney deserves a 5th year or not, NOTHING will get better until Lee Fowler is removed from his position. No one of any significance will coach here as long as heads the department.

Eshack
9th January 2010, 15:27
Four years into Sid's term as coach, I see NO IMPROVEMENT AT ALL!

I'm sick of having to watch everybody else to see a good game, football or basketball.

Ga. T beating Duke was fun to watch. "Our team" makes me want to throw up.

Mad Gene Vane
9th January 2010, 15:47
Our only hope is our new Chancellor firing Lee.

Anyone know if Woodson has an e-mail ID up yet, so he understands his first order of business is to clean out the athletics department?

Mad Gene Vane
9th January 2010, 15:49
From here on out it is all about managing the end of games and we are piss poor at it right now.

When you're up ten, half way through the second half at home, the game shouldn't come down to end game management. You should be able to put the other team away.

Prowling Woofie
9th January 2010, 20:19
^ Especially against a bottom feeding team with a first year head coach. Hey, Bennett doesn't have HIS players playing for him yet...and yet they STILL came in OUR house and kicked our asses.

This was embarrassing. Again. I'm so tired of being embarrassed for pulling for NC State.

As someone who attended the games during the David Thompson years with my dad, and the Jim Valvano years on my own, it becomes increasingly hard to explain to my kids why exactly we pull for the Wolfpack. NC State has become completely irrelevant in athletics. It's been 20 years since our last Basketball title and 30 since our last Football title, or something like that, right ?

0-16 is definitely within our grasp. Absolutely no excuse for today's loss - nobody suspended, nobody sick. We just lost at home against a terrible team.

Prowling Woofie
9th January 2010, 21:03
Since Sid seems to do a decent job of recruiting, does anyone think it possible to keep him as an assistant for a good coach ? Not that I can think of one that would want to come to NCSU, but if we could get a decent coach, and keep Sid and Monte as recruiters...

Never mind. Stupid idea.

Derreck
9th January 2010, 21:57
I'm at a loss. We should not have lost today.

I am not advocating for Lowe to be fired, but Lee Fowler is still in place. Fowler was a major stumbling block in the last search. Not only the way he handled it but some good coaches would not work for him.

LSmith
9th January 2010, 22:33
It is what it is....

A devastating loss at home in ACC play. No way you let a team go on a 11-2 run while you are up by 4 with less than 5 minutes to go in the game in your house. We did not play well and we did not coach well and I think Lowe would be the 1rst to admit it.

This time of year it is still one game at a time. You regroup and move on. It is way too early to tell whether or not Virginia is a "bottom feeder" this year in the ACC and frankly I don't give a rats ass. I do know that we lost today to a more talanted team than UNC lost to in their last home game. I don't give a rats ass about that either.

Through the season kids develop and coaches develop. There will be teams that win conference championships this season that have losses at home that they should have won. I highly doubt we will be one of those teams but there is still alot of basketball to be played.

I was never on the "Fire Herb" bandwagon until it was obvious to me that the kids had quit playing for him. I don't see any quit in these kids yet. I always have said how teams perform in February is the key. Let the season play out. That is not being too positive. That is being realistic.

Ken Stallings
10th January 2010, 08:35
Realistic, yes. And perhaps the only way we can react to this loss.

However, I have nothing positive to say. I did not see the game on TV as it was not broadcast on a channel I receive. This is likely a good thing. I would have gotten my hopes up again until midway through the second half I would have seen a slow leak develop and the balloon go flat.

Looking at our conference schedule, it seems clear to me that Virginia at home was the most likely conference victory this season. Having blown a ten point lead mid way in the second half to lose by eight convinces me this team will likely finish dead last in the conference.

Two out of the last three seasons, that will be our fate. With Herb I felt we leveled out as a .500 conference team and 8-10 seed in an NCAA field. Four years later with Sid we haven't come close to that level.

Right now, we have a substandard football team and a substandard basketball team. We've managed to go through the entire era of cable sports coverage with a substandard basketball program overall. Our collective most noteworthy accomplishment is that too many of our most famous coaches died young of cancer!

Case, Valvano, and Yow and Norm Sloan died all too young also. When Valvano helped build the RBC, he wanted more seats. Now, we cannot fill the seats even for conference games! We are the largest university in the state and have been every single year since 1982!

The lone bright light is that Sid's class next season will by far be his more talented overall. I still believe the man can coach. He's just struggling with a young team. But it's well past time for our program to achieve something to be proud of and this appears another season of vexing troubles and frustrating losses.

For the program that literally built ACC basketball into a national powerhouse, NC State finds itself in a purgatory largely of its own making. I just wonder if the academia that destroyed Les Robinson's ability to recruit knew how lasting their damage would last? Two and a half decades of intense frustration seems a frightfully large price to pay for the purported sins that actually existed in V's last years. A few sneakers sold is a patently trivial situation dwarfed by recruiting violations other programs were actually guilty of. Yet, those programs never paid the harsh price we have paid.

It is time to step up. Perhaps more importantly, it is time we demand excellence or else from everyone in the athletic department. Clearly, what's happening now isn't acceptable.

Ken

Matt Nicholson
10th January 2010, 11:38
Agreed Ken. The condition of our athletic department, from an athletic standpoint, is completely unacceptable, and has been for quite some time. I can only hope the new chacellor sees it that way too, and decides to take action. He comes from Purdue, which is not a Big10 powerhouse, but isn't a doormat either.

Decock's N&O piece this morning is not encouraging to read: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/276946.html

A team that abandons what it did to build a 10 point lead smells like a poorly coached team. Duke doesn't do things like that. UNC doesn't do things like that. And looking at yesterday, Virginaia doesn't do things like that.

In the end, the final nail in Lowe's coffin could be not what can do, but what he can't. He cannot instill any confidence or mental toughness to his players. At all. I've not seen any in 4 years.

Stephen Sparks
10th January 2010, 20:52
Right now we're having to rely largly on the role players that Lowe has recruited when he first got here. Havi, Dennis, Farnold, Julius and C.J. were all guys that this staff took a gamble on. So far they've lived up to their role player status, I believe. No one has yet to stand out and take that next step to be a major leader on this time, a'la Jack McClinton at U of M.

Smith has lived up to his preseason hype. Horner is playing steady as a senior should. Gonsalez has also steped up his play. Aside from these three, no one else stands out to me. C.J. disappears completely when he's on the court, Degand has been in Lowe's doghouse and therefore hasn't had time to try to fit in with the team. Julius has appeared to play scared alot of the time. Scott has yet to find a consistent jump shot, he is a freshman though. Howell, well I haven't seen enough of him to make an opinion good or bad. Painter has raw talent but needs time to develop. Vandenburg is a space eater but needs to develop as well.

Write now our frontcourt is playing much better than our backcourt. Is it any surprise. We're sorely missing Lo Brown having to prep at Hargrave. He's gonna be one of the best guards in the ACC next year according to many analysts. Harrow will be tremendous as well. Cothron should be another solid post player and Leslie, if he signs will make this class possibly the best we've signed ever. I said all of that, but these dynamic high school players won't help a bit this year.

What should we do about this season? Step back from the ledge, take a deep breath, and watch this team develop. Once UVa took the lead late in the game, our guys panicked and started to rush their shots and get out of the offense, also we missed some layups and foulshots and that killed us. There is nothing that I can say that will take the sing away from yesterdays loss, however the team played hard, if not always smart, the whole game. I'm still pulling hard for them to get that first ACC victory, might as well come against the Noles.

GO PACK!!!

Mad Gene Vane
11th January 2010, 04:37
Step back from the ledge, take a deep breath, and watch this team develop.

My biggest concern is the lack of fundamentals our teams display, year in and year out and a lack of what type of team we are supposed to be.

We don't have a core or "trademark" thing we do well. Roy Williams teams push tempo. Oliver Prunell's teams trap and try to force turnovers. Mike Krczyweski's teams play tough half court defense. Tom Izzo's teams rebound well.

At some point, I would like to know what Sidney Lowe basketball will look like. Clearly we aren't an up tempo team and rarely run the fast break well. We aren't a good rebounding team, though we aren't as awful as in years past. We aren't a good defensive team. We can't run a full court press very well.

A coach can do one of two things: (1) put in a system and struggle until he gets players in, who can execute or (2) adept what he does to the players he has to maximize the talent on the court.

We seem to be doing neither, which has me worried about the future.

Prowling Woofie
11th January 2010, 07:16
MGV,

Our trademarks are 1) missing free throws, and 2) turning the ball over in crucial situations.

Mad Gene Vane
11th January 2010, 08:59
MGV,

Our trademarks are 1) missing free throws, and 2) turning the ball over in crucial situations.

Honestly, turnovers aren't as big a problem this year, in my opinion, not nearly as much as scoring droughts, which has been a hallmark of our program for as long as I can remember.

Prowling Woofie
11th January 2010, 09:35
True, the number of TO's is down, but they still seem to come at the WORST times - killing rallies, leading to scoring funks, also leading to silly frustration fouls at the other end, etc.

Scoring droughts will end when we get players in the program that can create their own shots. Right now, our only scoring threats are Tracy (who has to be fed down low) and Wood (who hasn't matured enough yet to consistently get an open look - it took Reddick three years to develop that skill at Duke).

If Harrow and Brown are the type of players that can take it from perimeter to rim and be legitimate threats to finish, we should see an end to the 7-minute droughts that killed us in the first half vs VA. They should open up more opportunities for the rest of the team to capitalize on - at least that's my fantasy...

Ken Stallings
11th January 2010, 10:44
Decock's N&O piece this morning is not encouraging to read: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/276946.html

Decock's piece was accurate.

Damningly accurate!

Ken

Derreck
13th January 2010, 20:03
OK, so UVa just beat #20 GT 82-75. The same GT who beat Duke!

LSmith
13th January 2010, 20:43
OK, so UVa just beat #20 GT 82-75. The same GT who beat Duke!

It's gonna be a CRAAAAZY season in the ACC this year!!!!

Derreck
13th January 2010, 20:59
It's gonna be a CRAAAAZY season in the ACC this year!!!!

Yep. Clemson is currently kicking the crap out of UNC.

Prowling Woofie
14th January 2010, 07:19
Impressive showing by Clem and his son tonight.

Absolutely demolished Roy's Boyz. UNC had 26 turnovers - had passes sailing into the stands, and Thompson and Davis were invisible all night.

Booker's gonna make a lot of money next year...

Ken Stallings
14th January 2010, 18:11
There is no way that UNC deserved to be ranked #9 in the nation. After they got beat by College of Charleston last week they should have dropped into the lower tier of the Top 25 rankings, at best.

In my view, this residual in the top 10 was due mainly to the accumulated prestige UNC has. They didn't earn it.

I don't think UNC is all that strong this season.

Ken

Eshack
15th January 2010, 06:18
UNC

Welcome to life without a great point guard!