PDA

View Full Version : C. J. Williams

Stephen Sparks
28th February 2010, 22:47
Man this young man is picking a fine time to come out of his slump. I saw some flashes during the Maryland game. His shots didn't fall but he took some shots, which was huge for him at this point. The thing I noticed was that all the shots were within the offense and weren't forced.

During the Wake game C. J. really came out of his shell and scored in double figures. Once again he had great shot selection and his production helped lift the Pack over Wake.

Now against Miami, C.J contributed greatly to our W. That hustle play on the Horner miss was huuuggge. Also a second game in which Williams scored in double figures.

What I really like about C.J. now is that he attacked the rim at times yesterday and is better at that than Wood. He doesn't have the outside shot that Wood has but he has the ability to create his own shot better. Overall Williams has pleased me with his play of late and he gives us a weapon on the wing that we haven't had the last few games. Hope he can keep it up.

Prowling Woofie
1st March 2010, 07:23
Congrats to CJ for continuing to work through the tough times. Having a weapon on the wing would be a HUGE surprise to our opponent(s) in the tourney. Especially one that attacks the rim !

Derreck
1st March 2010, 09:03
Well said SS and PW. I agree 100%

Matt Nicholson
1st March 2010, 12:51
They need to get Wood on the same strength program they put Gugs on...

Ken Stallings
1st March 2010, 19:21
Yes, but mostly the team needs to recognize that Wood is a lot like JJ Reddick. He needs to get the ball on his spot and open. If the team can make that happen, he can be deadly.

What the team needs worst of all is a slashing guard who can get his own shot off the dribble, either going around his defender, or shaking him off for a jump shot.

If CJ can become that sort of threat, then the Pack has the weapon it needs most of all.

With Wood on the three line waiting for the crisp pass, Smith on the block looking for the inlet pass, and Williams on the perimeter looking to make the defender overcommit one way or the other, the Pack has the needed offensive weapons.

Ken

Stephen Sparks
1st March 2010, 19:52
I stand corrected, CJ actually scored 7 points against Miami, but him scoring in double figures in both games really helped my argument :D. Nothing like using that UNC logic to justify my argument, whether the info was true or not.

Mad Gene Vane
1st March 2010, 21:17
Yes, but mostly the team needs to recognize that Wood is a lot like JJ Reddick.

So far Wood's shooting touch is no where near as consistent as Reddick's was as a freshman. Wood can get hot for a few stretches in games, but he has also had some awful shooting nights as well.

Matt Nicholson
2nd March 2010, 22:11
I have seen zero evidence that Woods is the next Reddick. When Scott can string together game after game like the one he had against Duke, then we can talk...

Prowling Woofie
3rd March 2010, 10:44
Duke/JJ utilized numerous screens and weaves and cuts to get JJ open looks.

Unfortunately, State has not shown anything near that type of creativity to provide Scott with the looks necessary to consistently generate any offensive production.

It's not like JJ stood in one spot and waited for the ball - he worked his tail off to create space and get 'open'. Difference between high school and ACC ball...

Stephen Sparks
7th March 2010, 19:04
Great game by CJ again. We're seeing the potential the Coaching staff felt you would have at the start of the season.