PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tourney

Stephen Sparks
7th March 2010, 19:13
We didn't finish dead last as was predicted (11th... yeaaaaa).

The good news, we've played the better teams in the ACC well this year so if we can make it to the 2nd day of the tournament, we stand a chance of making to the finals. Also this is the weakest ACC conference in years so any team could win it, why nit us this time.

The bad news, our guard play has been so inconsistent that when we've been bad, we really are the worst team in the ACC. Also, to win it all we have to play 4 straight days to win it all.

Anyway, go Pack, bring home a championship for an eager fanbase starved for a banner.

Prowling Woofie
7th March 2010, 19:31
Wake beats Clemson, so we get to start by beating the Tigers Thursday.

C'mon, Pack - give me a great birthday present...

LSmith
8th March 2010, 09:39
If we beat Clemson we have FSU on Friday so I think we have a good shot to make it to Saturday if we execute. I think we will at least need to be playing on Saturday to get a NIT bid.

Mad Gene Vane
9th March 2010, 07:26
I think we need to make it to Sunday to get an NIT bid. For example, College of Charleston was upset in their conference tourney, so if they don't get an NCAA at-large bid they will automatically get an NIT bid.

The NIT started handing out automatic bids for mid-majors, who won their conference in the regular season, but lose in their tournament.

Mid-major tourney upsets can crowd us out.

Also, we're 11th in the ACC and the ACC isn't going to get that many teams into the NCAA's this year. I think the Big East may set a record for teams invited from one conference, because the ACC and Pac-10 are down.

Basically we have to prove we're "better" than the 10th to 5th place teams in our conference, because I honestly don't see the ACC getting more than 4 team in this year, especially with the relatively poor showing our conference has had in the NCAA's the last few years and last year with pretty much no one, of 7 teams invited to the NCAA's, advancing beyond the opening weekend doesn't help state our conference's case for getting many at-large bids again this year.

On the bright side, we face the trapping Tigers with fresh legs. Hope that helps.

Prowling Woofie
9th March 2010, 14:29
And ODU beat William & Mary, so there's another NIT bid gone in all likelihood...

Matt Nicholson
10th March 2010, 12:39
why nit us this time

Don't know if this typo was accidental or intentional. Either way, its pretty funny...

Ken Stallings
10th March 2010, 18:23
I think we'll be in the NIT right now. I think the ACC will get seven in the NCAA tournament field. We are tied for ninth in the league. So, I think all three of the tied ACC teams will go to the NIT.

Ken

Steve M
10th March 2010, 18:57
State will have to win at least 1 game in tournament to get an NIT bid. Too many teams in other conferences with better RPI rankings. This team has the potential to play on Sat. Smith has been consistant inside all year. CJ has been a big surprise the last few games. If State can get some confidence on the outside and limit TOs, they have a chance to play on Sat.

Derreck
10th March 2010, 19:17
Crap on the NIT, we are going to win the ACC Tourney and go dancing!

Stephen Sparks
10th March 2010, 19:54
Don't know if this typo was accidental or intentional. Either way, its pretty funny...

Actually Matt it was a typo, but glad it was funny. I aim to please :D.

With ya 100% Derreck. Let's win the ACC Crown and go dancin. One time pigs would fly and elephants would win the Indy 500 before we'd win one championship. Might as well be this one.

LSmith
10th March 2010, 21:31
I think we'll be in the NIT right now.

I heard us projected as an 8th seed in the NIT on the "Primetime with Packman" (Mark Packer) radio show today. They projected the Holes as a 6th seed squaring off in the 1rst round against UConn in Carmicheal Auditorium.

Prowling Woofie
11th March 2010, 07:48
One game at a time...

C'mon Pack - Tame the Tigers !!!!

Matt Nicholson
11th March 2010, 11:37
Holes as a 6th seed squaring off in the 1rst round against UConn in Carmicheal Auditorium

So, an NIT game is not worthy of being played in the Smith Center?

LSmith
11th March 2010, 12:01
So, an NIT game is not worthy of being played in the Smith Center?

It is my understanding the Smith Center will be undergoing some reconstruction that was scheduled to start at the end of the season and they did not count on the Holes being in the NIT and needing a home court when they scheduled it.

Derreck
11th March 2010, 14:27
UVA takes game one defeating BC.

Derreck
11th March 2010, 15:31
Miami rolls, beats WF

Derreck
11th March 2010, 20:27
UNC headed home, GT sends them packing!

LSmith
11th March 2010, 20:46
UNC headed home, GT sends them packing!

And at 16-16 considered a lock for the NIT. :(

Ken Stallings
11th March 2010, 21:15
And at 16-16 considered a lock for the NIT. :(

Let's take care of business against Clemson and see just how tilted the situation can really be!

Ken

Ken Stallings
11th March 2010, 21:27
Pack leads at halftime, 25-21. It is essential that this team get off the snide and show more hustle, more organization, and more execution coming out to start the second half.

Ken

LSmith
11th March 2010, 21:36
Let's take care of business against Clemson and see just how tilted the situation can really be!

Ken

All I am concerned about right now. I like our hustle the 1rst half and Tracy is battling hard which is always a good sign. A couple of stupid turnovers and missed opportunities. Hopefully we can have a 2nd half like the 2nd half the last time we played Clemson this season.

Ken Stallings
11th March 2010, 22:28
Pack up 55-47 with 2:10 left in the game. If the Pack can make another stop, it forces Clemson to suspend their full court press and foul to get back into the game.

Ken

Ken Stallings
11th March 2010, 22:39
Clemson hung tough, but the Pack earns the victory, 59-57.

Up next is FSU.

Go Pack!

Ken

Matt Nicholson
11th March 2010, 22:41
I didn't watch. I've been sick and the kid has an ear infection. I just finished a midnight feeding and checked the score. Can't believe we won that one.

I wonder though, was Clemson an NCAA lock? If not, did we just knock ourselves out of the NIT if they drop down?

Derreck
11th March 2010, 22:44
"Survive and Advance"

Jimmy V

Ken Stallings
11th March 2010, 22:47
Relax Matt. I will guarantee that at 18-14 and with all the quality wins we have had we are a lock for the NIT.

UNC got bolted in round one of the tournament. Prestige, or not, UNC at 16-16 overall will not be selected ahead of NC State at 18-14.

Clemson at 21-10 will be selected for the NCAA and the ACC will get six to seven teams in the field. With Georgia Tech earning their 20th win against UNC, I feel confident the ACC will put seven teams in the NCAA. If true, that places NC State as the best conference team out of the NCAA selections with Miami a very close second. Even if Georgia Tech would become the most controversial bubble team not selected, that would still put Tech, Miami and State in the NIT field.

My prediction is that UNC gets a fourth selection just because of their name. But, Miami, NC State, and possible Ga Tech get selected ahead of them. This win put the Pack too far ahead to get passed over.

Ken

Prowling Woofie
11th March 2010, 22:48
Matt, Clemson's a lock - probably a 6 or 7 seed.

State wins

UNC loses

ASU (#2 seed) loses to Stanford (#7 seed) badly...

It's been a good day :D:D:D

Thanks for the birthday present, Pack !!!

Derreck
11th March 2010, 22:57
Don't look now but the Pack has won 4 of it's last 5 ACC games. I hope I don't regret typing this but maybe that 7 game losing streak was the bottom. We play a very beatable FSU squad, who the Pack beat on the road, next. The Tourney is wide open and the only team that we might would play that scares me is Maryland. Vasques and Maryland, for some reason, just have our number.

But, alas, one game at a time. Bring on FSU!

LSmith
11th March 2010, 22:59
Very good win!!!!!!! Smith was awesome tonight but Howell was the difference in my opinion. Hopefully Wood can "Jimmy Chitwood" FSU again tomorrow and drop about 30-40. Regardless I am really feelin good about next season with Tracy and Howell in the front court and I believe we will see Wood and CJ shine alot more offensively with better guard play.

On another note and I hate to say it but I hate Trevor Booker! He bitches and moans about every foul called on him which is few compared to what he deserves. Our 1rst game against Clemson he did not get a foul called on him until the last 3 minutes of the game.

Ken Stallings
11th March 2010, 23:04
The team that may have played its way onto the bubble is Wake. By losing to Miami the Deacons are standing at 19 wins. But, I believe being two games above .500 in conference means Wake will squeak in the Dance.

Locks for the NCAA are: Duke, Maryland, FSU, Va Tech, and Clemson.

Solid bubble is Georgia Tech.

Soft bubble is Wake Forest.

Wake obviously will go to the NIT if passed over for the NCAA.

Solid NIT selections are Miami and NC State.

I believe Virginia and BC are non-selected for the NIT. Virginia might get themselves into the NIT with a win in round two of the tournament.

UNC ought to be non-selected for the NIT and any other ACC school with their record would be. Perhaps for once UNC gets the lack of respect they have earned this season.

Ken

LSmith
11th March 2010, 23:14
UNC ought to be non-selected for the NIT and any other ACC school with their record would be. Perhaps for once UNC gets the lack of respect they have earned this season.

I agree but you have to believe the NIT is salivatng over the prospects of having the defending national champions in thier tournament this year. From all the reports I have heard they are a lock if they accept.

Prowling Woofie
As much as I'd love to see UNC passed over, I doubt the powers-that-be would allow it to happen. Roy was absolutely BEGGING for a bid in the postgame...

LSmith, I agree - for a thug, Booker sure does whine like a Tarheel ;)

Stephen Sparks
We won. Don't care how ugly and physical this game was at times, we still won. Great that the refs maintained the sorta free play all game. It may have made the game more physical than it should have been, but the players new how to play all game and it led to a better overall game.

Now on to FSU. A win here and we're in the semi's against the Ga. Tech/Merryland game. Pullin for the Jackets in that one. I just hate Vasoline and the rest of the twerp team.

Prowling Woofie
11th March 2010, 23:20
I can't believe the Miami/WFU result. Holy Smoke !!! A 21-point beat down ???

They ought to vote for 'Worst Coaching Job of the Year' in the conference.

Might be interesting...

Derreck
12th March 2010, 14:59
Duke had a fight on their hand, but got past UVA.

Derreck
12th March 2010, 15:52
Miami takes out VT. DFL is doing something in this Tourney.

Ken Stallings
12th March 2010, 16:02
This loss drops VT to 52 in the RPI. This places them last among likely NCAA Tournament at large selections. Despite the relative records, Duke, Maryland, Wake, Georgia Tech, FSU and Clemson all are in better shape relative the RPI. Va Tech played an extremely weak non-conference schedule.

In looking at the latest RPI, it lists UNC three positions ahead of NC State. It lists Miami as dead last, but Miami has won its way into NIT consideration.

Ken

Mad Gene Vane
12th March 2010, 16:17
I wonder what all the upsets in the ACC Tourney will do for the NCAA / NIT selections. Our conference wasn't that strong this year to be begin with and with all the upsets, it doesn't make the case for some of the teams in the upper half of the conference, who were on the NCAA bubble and doesn't help our NIT chances, if they don't make the NCAA's.

Ken Stallings
12th March 2010, 17:02
Generally, all teams in the RPI top 40 get in. Of our top seven teams, only Va Tech slipped out of the top 40. Since Va Tech is at 52, they have a bit of a sweat, but will likely make it in.

These are the latest RPI for the ACC schools likely to make the dance:

Duke: 2
Maryland: 19
Clemson: 33
FSU: 34
Wake: 37
Ga Tech: 40
Va Tech: 52

This is why I am so confident six to seven ACC teams get selected, and believe it will be seven.

Here is the latest CBS RPI 1-65:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/polls/rpi/index1?tag=pageContainer;final

Here is 66-347:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/polls/rpi/index2?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

From this listing, here are the remaining ACC teams:

UNC: 92
NC State: 96
Miami: 107
BC: 117
Virginia: 126

So, from perspective of the RPI, UNC and NC State are both locks for the NIT unless NC State win the ACC Tournament. Miami is also likely in given their run in the tournament. BC and Virginia are likely out based strictly upon the RPI.

Cheers,

Ken

Derreck
12th March 2010, 17:03
I wonder what all the upsets in the ACC Tourney will do for the NCAA / NIT selections. Our conference wasn't that strong this year to be begin with and with all the upsets, it doesn't make the case for some of the teams in the upper half of the conference, who were on the NCAA bubble and doesn't help our NIT chances, if they don't make the NCAA's.

Dude, don't worry about the NIT, we are winning the Tourney and going Dancing!

LSmith
12th March 2010, 17:08
I did hear today on the radio from a so called "brackotology expert" that right now we maybe on the outside looking in as far as the NIT but a win tonight would probably put us in.

Right now I am just happy we are playing on Friday of the ACC tournament for the 1rst time in 3 years.

GO PACK!!!!!!

Ken Stallings
12th March 2010, 20:22
Well folks .... the upsets continue!

Maryland just got stuffed by Ga Tech!

This thing is teed up for the Pack to win tonight and have a shot to get into the finals. Just as true is that Duke has been handed an opportunity on a silver platter. Yet, the way this tournament has gone, don't be shocked if Duke gets upended by Miami!

Ken

Derreck
12th March 2010, 20:47
That game made me smile, if we get past FSU I would much rather play GT than UMd.

Ken Stallings
12th March 2010, 21:40
Very physical and grinding first half.

Lots of turnovers by both teams and not many shots taken.

Ken

LSmith
12th March 2010, 21:57
We were clearly outclassed athletically. I would venture to say we are the most unathletic team in the ACC as far as speed and leaping. Fortunately FSU does not have anyone who can really light it up. The thing we did well in Tallhasee that we are not doing tonight is matching and exceeding their intensity on D. If we keep it close we have a shot here. Got to have extreme intensity the 2nd half.

Prowling Woofie
12th March 2010, 22:15
Wood is doing it again - 6 of 9 from 3-pt range. Pack up 5 with 12:25 to go.

LSmith
12th March 2010, 22:26
We are fighting and scrapping and Jimmy Chitwood has dressed in Scott Wood's uniform again for the 2nd time this season to nail some threes. Like our chances. Keep it up for 8 more minutes baby!!!!

Derreck
12th March 2010, 22:52
"Survive and Advance"

Jimmy V

Prowling Woofie
12th March 2010, 22:56
Done And Doing, Derreck !!!

Go Pack :D

LSmith
12th March 2010, 22:58
Yea baby!!!! Lock for the NIT now but as Derreck mentioned we have bigger and better fish to fry. The great thing is everyone is stepping up. Tonight it was Wood and Javi. Last night it was Smith and Howell. Wood was money tonight but Javi brought us home. This team is showing alot of character. Keep it up Pack!!!!

Derreck
12th March 2010, 23:06
Two things:

1) We have now won 5 of the last 6, three against NCAA tourney teams.

2) Sid has to figure out a way to convince Wood that he is playing FSU every night.

Prowling Woofie
12th March 2010, 23:13
^ Great point !!! (#2)

FYI, we had 4 turnovers in the second half, after committing 12 in the first.

Matt Nicholson
13th March 2010, 04:42
OK. Clearly the secret is that I don't watch. I tried watching the first half and we looked like crap so I turned it off.

I will continue to do so for the rest of the games....

Eshack
13th March 2010, 05:14
A good run at the end of the season can't be anything but good for next year! It might even swing Leslie back to the Pack.

Let's go swat some Yellow Jackets!

Ken Stallings
13th March 2010, 08:54
Two things:

1) We have now won 5 of the last 6, three against NCAA tourney teams.

2) Sid has to figure out a way to convince Wood that he is playing FSU every night.

.... or Duke!

Ken Stallings
13th March 2010, 08:55
OK. Clearly the secret is that I don't watch. I tried watching the first half and we looked like crap so I turned it off.

I will continue to do so for the rest of the games....

Recommend Tivo, Matt! :D

LSmith
13th March 2010, 16:00
Shooting 30% and only 8% from behind the arc, being out rebounded 24-11 and fortunate enough to only be down by 10 at the half. GT is a team that can blow a lead in a hurry. Need to find our legs and our shot and press the heck out of them comming out the 2nd half.

Ken Stallings
13th March 2010, 16:13
We have to score more and play better defense.

Ken

Ken Stallings
13th March 2010, 16:28
1. Score more: CHECK

2. Play better defense: CHECK

Result is we now lead at the 14 minute mark, 36-33!

The team is playing well. Hopefully they can keep Georgia Tech off balance. Truthfully, this is the one team we have more experience over. Therefore, we might be able to really demoralize these guys. But, don't count on it.

Got to keep playing very well.

Ken

Matt Nicholson
13th March 2010, 16:41
Bajeebus. When Javi is on, he is flippin' ON!

Ken Stallings
13th March 2010, 17:15
However, most important for this game, his gross immaturity just cost us this game. I saw the play, and he got picked with perhaps a slight foul. But, such a call would have been controversial.

However, to then grab the jersey, hold it tight, and twist the player into the ground is grossly uncalled for. He got off light with just an intentional foul.

But, that play cost us this game.

Javi needs to frankly grow up! He's a junior and it's time he act like it!

Ken

Ken Stallings
13th March 2010, 17:28
Well, we got a shot off to tie the game but Javi missed it. It wasn't a bad shot -- a bit long, but he was clear of his man.

I go back to the intentional foul. That gave Ga Tech four points plus the initial steal was another case of Javi being unable to protect the ball one-versus-one with the other team's point guard. Potentially that's a six point swing if we could have continued the good run we were on. That foul turned the momentum of the game totally around. Javi hit a big three to put the Pack within shooting distance at the end, but I don't think it made up for his immature reaction on the foul.

Javi has moments of brilliance. But, frankly, he was a stop-gap when he was recruited and I think he's reached his full potential.

This team needs greatly improved guard play, particularly point guard. Next season I think we finally get it.

As much as Javi's experience matters, I do not believe he will start next season. I certainly don't think he'll be starting by mid-season when the incoming freshmen get their initial seasoning.

I believe the Pack will go to the NIT.

Ken

LSmith
13th March 2010, 17:34
Yea Javi is a loose cannon. We need someone alot more level headed at the point. On the bright side it does look as if we will get to extend the season in the NIT and well deserved for Horner and Degand.

Matt Nicholson
14th March 2010, 08:20
My bad guys. I watched the 2nd half, so we lost.

Won't happen again...

Mad Gene Vane
14th March 2010, 13:12
Well if it makes you feel better Matt, I watched the first two games, but had other commitments Saturday afternoon and didn't watch the Ga. Tech game. Maybe it was me...:confused:

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 18:39
Well, Duke eaked out a 65-61 victory over Ga Tech to win another ACC title. To be honest, I suspect if we had pulled out the win, having to play a fourth game in four days would have been too much for the team.

You could see it mid-way in the second half that our perimeter defense wasn't as solid and our free throw shooting started to suffer. Both of those are pure signs of leg fatigue.

The tournament format is heavily favored for the four seeded teams now, which is reasonable. But, the pattern happens time after time, the lower seeded teams run out of steam in the semi-finals or final. Ga Tech ran out of steam against Duke.

We not only have 19 wins, which is good, but a great number of quality wins, more than most NCAA teams. We've beaten Clemson, FSU twice, Duke, Marquette, and Wake Forest -- all top 50 RPI teams. Six such victories would have put us into the NCAA as an at-large team if we had beaten UNC as we could have and won that Florida game.

In my view, this year's team was inconsistent due to youth and lack of talent at point guard. Next year our best players return and we have an infusion of talent at point guard. Retain the quality wins from this year and take care of business better against the weaker teams, we would have recorded 21 or more wins prior to the ACC tournament, and earned a seed in the NCAA tournament.

Next season I think we have valid reason for optimism.

This season isn't over and we have a chance to build additional momentum in the NIT.

Ken

Steve M
15th March 2010, 08:27
No, it was me! Flew back from the left coast Friday. Watched the entire game Sat. Too bad Horner and Javi had off games from the outside 5-25? I'm happy this team didn't pack it in at the end of the season. Looking forward to watching a few extra games.

Stephen Sparks
15th March 2010, 17:21
Boneheaded play by Gonzo cost us the game. If he'd have let Favors score we probably have been able to pull out the win. Have to agree with everybody, we were running out of gas by the Ga. Tech game. Would've been crushed by Duke.

Derreck
16th March 2010, 18:59
A sign seen at the ACC finals on Sunday read---Dress code at NCAA tournament==NO Heels, I loved it!!