PDA

View Full Version : NCAA/NIT Selection results

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 18:54
NC State is very much up for a selection to the NIT. Factoring into that is the fate of the at-large ACC teams in the NCAA. Duke did their part to help NC State by beating Ga Tech to earn the automatic berth. Duke also earned a number one seed.

The NIT selection show airs on ESPNU at 2000L EST.

The NCAA selections are set and here are the fates for the ACC teams:

Duke: #1 in the South

Maryland: #4 in the Midwest

Clemson: #7 in the East

Wake: #9 in the East

FSU: #9 in the West

Ga Tech: #10 in the Midwest

Only six ACC teams were selected, which to me is a travesty to Va Tech. But, Seth Greenberg needs to upgrade Va Tech's non-conference schedule. Their conference wins were enough. But when you look at their non-conference opponents, they absolutely played no one of any quality.

Therefore, the first NIT selection will certainly be Va Tech. After than I think comes NC State and UNC which by RPI would determine the order of NIT selections. I also believe Miami earns a selection because of their run in the ACC tournament.

We shall soon see if I am right.

Cheers,

Ken

LSmith
14th March 2010, 19:46
Wake will lose by at least 30 to Texas.

VT is by far the best team left out.

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 20:09
Selection show on as I type this.

Ken

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 20:11
Half the field announced and so far no ACC teams selected.

Ken

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 20:14
Va Tech is a number one seed in the upper right bracket.

Only eight slots left and so far no UNC and no NC State.

Hmmm ....

Derreck
14th March 2010, 20:19
We will be in, on the road. UNC will host.

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 20:21
NC State selected as the number six seed and will face off against three seeded South Florida.

The game will be televised nationally on ESPN-U.

UNC was selected also.

Miami was left out, which I don't have a major issue with.

The Pack has earned post-season play.

Go Pack!

Ken

LSmith
14th March 2010, 20:22
Both of us are in. We could play the Holes again by the 3rd game but I don't see them getting past Bill and Mary the 1rst round. South Florida will not be easy for us the 1rst round either.

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 20:22
ESPN analyst on the selection show, Mike Kelley, calls NC State a "scary" team and notes, with their improved play late in the season, they are "happy" to be in the NIT and looking to win a championship.

Ken

Derreck
14th March 2010, 20:24
LOL, the selection show host said he did not think UNC was a tourney team.

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 20:30
Yeah, I saw that also, and I agree with him! I don't think UNC's head is in the game any more. William & Mary is a tough team and I think they will knock off UNC in round one.

Ken

Derreck
14th March 2010, 21:37
Yeah, I saw that also, and I agree with him! I don't think UNC's head is in the game any more. William & Mary is a tough team and I think they will knock off UNC in round one.

Ken

If UNC loses in the first round they will finish the season at 16-17...

Ken Stallings
14th March 2010, 22:56
Been doing some research.

The last time UNC had an overall losing record was in 2002, when they finished with an 8-20 overall record, 4-12 in conference. UNC also finished the season below .500 overall in 1962 and 1955.

Before this season, the last time they finished the ACC conference season below .500 was in 2003 when they finished the conference 6-10 but eaked out a 16-14 overall record. They also finished in the conference sub .500 in 1964 when they finished 6-8.

UNC fired Matt Doherty after the 2003 season -- the only time UNC finished back-to-back years sub .500 overall in the conference.

Ken

Matt Nicholson
15th March 2010, 05:04
Arizona State+22wins=NIT.

Just hate it for their truly obnoxious fans...

packinjax
15th March 2010, 06:43
Not sure why they would let UNC host and put us on the road. You'd assume we'd sell more tickets because of our lack of post season play and UNC's less with their underwhelming play coming off a championship year and preseason projection. Anything else is TV related and UNC will draw whatever viewership they will at home or away.

Ah well, here's to a run through the NIT that includes a beatdown of UNC, cheers! (A little early for a real drink, so I'll toast with coffee).

Stephen Sparks
15th March 2010, 17:16
Glad we made. We really played our way into the NIT. Great to hear. More practice and a chance to maybe hang another banner. Go PACK!!!!

Steve M
16th March 2010, 11:21
Who is going to guard Jones tonight? I think he averages 22pts a game.

Derreck
16th March 2010, 11:28
Who is going to guard Jones tonight? I think he averages 22pts a game.

I think We will see the return of Josh Davis to put on him in spots. Also I would say maybe Scott Wood.