The 2018-19 athletic season has concluded for NC State. Football starts in two months! See you then!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD Update

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    I still don't know what to make of the Gottfried hire. He was solid his 1st 4 years with 2 sweet 16s. And then it was like he just didn't care anymore. Something happened to him, personally, that greatly the affected his coaching. Not positive I place all the blame on Yow in that situation.

She certainly seems to have hit a homerun with Keatts.
    I said it before but Gottfried was exactly what he was advertised to be. A good recruiter, soft on defense, trouble managing egos, and had personal baggage. He made 5 straight NCAA appearances including an elite 8 appearance at Alabama and then personal issues hit and the program spiraled downward ending up with his resignation in the middle of a season. I think the fact that Yow hired him out of the announcers booth after an embarrassing lengthy coaching search was more a reflection of the state of our basketball program at the time after the Lowe fiasco than Yow's ability as an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    I still don't know what to make of the Gottfried hire. He was solid his 1st 4 years with 2 sweet 16s. And then it was like he just didn't care anymore. Something happened to him, personally, that greatly the affected his coaching. Not positive I place all the blame on Yow in that situation.

She certainly seems to have hit a homerun with Keatts.
    He chased skirts around campus, ended up causing his marriage to come crashing down. And that was one of the things that led to his dismissal from Bama.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    I said it before but Gottfried was exactly what he was advertised to be. A good recruiter, soft on defense, trouble managing egos, and had personal baggage. He made 5 straight NCAA appearances including an elite 8 appearance at Alabama and then personal issues hit and the program spiraled downward ending up with his resignation in the middle of a season. I think the fact that Yow hired him out of the announcers booth after an embarrassing lengthy coaching search was more a reflection of the state of our basketball program at the time after the Lowe fiasco than Yow's ability as an AD.
    Very true! Gottfried was NOT our first or second choice, and Gary Williams displayed his lack of character in transferring his personal animus outside of Maryland by trying to sabotage our coaching search that year. Kevin Keatts is the first time in a very long time that NC State men's basketball hired their first choice in a new coach. And one wonders what the outcome would have been had Williams not played ugly and we got our first choice in that previous search. One really would have expected that Gott would have learned from his experience at Alabama, but it is clear he did not. This is why I was so shocked that another school hired him so quickly. Sadly, I think Gott's tenure at NC State isn't really yet over, as we may face issues due to the way Gott's staff recruited Dennis Smith, Jr. But, that's another issue to be decided.

Yow's coaching hires have been outstanding for women's basketball, swimming and diving, men's and women's soccer, and wrestling. I think her second hire in men's basketball is also a home run that is going to pay off huge in the near future.

Ken

Thread Information