NC State wins a home shootout to take the season opener against Wake Forest.

Thread: Tressel resigns

Default Tressel resigns

Reported on ESPN 9am this morning...

Wow!

Story is developing. Something is going on....

WOW just WOW!!!
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

I'm not really surprised by this. Ohio State is a stern school where coaches are held to high standards of personal conduct.

What you see here is the very vivid difference between Ohio State and UNC. UNC talks that they are a disciplined school, but the reality is that OSU just illustrated who walks that path, and you can easily see the difference between OSU and UNC with this action.

Tressel's violations were minor compared to what has happened at UNC. Yet, despite being a vastly more successful coach than Butch Davis, OSU's staff put their moral compass ahead of Tressel's accomplishments.

We have already heard of revolts among influential UNC boosters who together deterred the UNC chanceller and athletic director from firing Davis long after more than enough facts emerged to justify his termination due to clear "loss of institutional control." UNC is being run by Butch Davis more than by Baddour or Holden Thorp! The only disciplne UNC recieves is what the NCAA hands down and historically, when the NCAA sees an abandonment of institutional accountability, it tends to strengthen its punishments.

If the UNC boosters had any sense at all, they would have worked to fire Davis while they had the chance to demonstrate to the NCAA they care about control. Now, this will likely lead to harsher punishment, and the result is the weak Baddour and Thorp will be sacked as well as Davis.

Ken

I think something major is coming out about the program Ken. Internet rumor is point shaving. 2 weeks ago, he had the support of the AD and university president. Suddenly he leaves his family on vacation in Florida to fly back to resign at 9am on the morning of a major national holiday.

The timing is a huge red flag. Something bad is about to drop...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    I think something major is coming out about the program Ken. Internet rumor is point shaving. 2 weeks ago, he had the support of the AD and university president. Suddenly he leaves his family on vacation in Florida to fly back to resign at 9am on the morning of a major national holiday.

The timing is a huge red flag. Something bad is about to drop...
    That is the first I have heard of that, so good information digging!

Yes, I cannot imagine anything worse than that for a program!

Ken

The SI article is supposed to be put up at SI.com sometime tonight.

OK the article is out. No mention of point shaving. The Cliff Notes are:
    - 28, not 5, players have traded jerseys for tatoos.
    - They also traded jerseys for drugs
    - It goes back to 2002, which means the NCAA just might relieve them of their 2002 national title.

Pryor is also under investigation for illegal benefits concerning cars. I don't think that is new. I do think Pryor will never play another snap of college football...

Prowling Woofie

Apparently, Pryor has had 6 cars during his 3 years at OSU...

Up to 40 players are said to have received choice deals on cars - and I'm sure that number could be multiplied if they dug deep enough.

The lid may be ready to come off the myth of big time sports dynasties... They aren't earned, they are bought.

Roy better beware !

Pryor and his cars have been an issue from the day he set foot on campus. I think the severity of the situation is the "new" information here.

On ESPNRadio yesterday, I heard someone flat out say you could NOT win a national title in football without living in the grey areas of the rules.

Prowling Woofie

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    On ESPNRadio yesterday, I heard someone flat out say you could NOT win a national title in football without living in the grey areas of the rules.
    I think this is true in college football and basketball, Matt.

Unfortunately, the era of AAU BB and 'handlers' of top talent in football has fostered the notion that prostitution is allowed...encouraged...expected among the top athletes and programs, and those schools that are 'only' promising a free top-notch education and tremendous facilities and coaching will be fighting for the scraps.

I'd rather do the best we can with the scraps until the NCAA grows a set big enough to level the playing field.

Integrity > Trophies. Anyday. Anytime.

Hope all our coaches understand this.

Thread Information