NC State got smacked on the road 44-27 at West Virginia to fall to 2-1.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Wolfpacher

Default Future Wolfpacher

This Saturday my son finally got his acceptance letter from NC State. Although I am not an alum (A Pack fan my whole life but I went elsewhere to play football ) you that are Wolfpack Alum should be very proud of the standards set and how competitive it is to go to NC State. My son has a solid A average in high school, top 10% of his class, and has a high SAT and very high ACT score and he has been deferred twice before finally getting his acceptance letter this Saturday.

Last year this time my son was looking forward to follow in my footsteps and playing college football at probably the D2 level and possibly FCS at best. Went on several recruiting visits and was receiving letters and phone calls from coaches frequently. He found out the day before his 1rst scrimmage that he had a stress fracture in his lower back and was out for his Sr. season. Since then he has pretty much given up on football (even though we still get calls from D3 coaches) and had planned to go to ECU next year. The Lord works in mysterious ways!!!

It has certainly been a year of disappointments.. Trust me as father one of the worst things you can go through is sitting in a exam room and hearing a doctor tell your son that he cannot do the one thing he has worked his whole life for. (granted I realize it could be worse and extremely thankful it is not. ) My son has been a State fan his whole life and if he could not play football somewhere (of course he dreamed as a kid to play for the Pack but a 5-10 QB that can barely run under a 5 flat 40 is not realistic on the FBC level) he wanted to go to NC State. After getting deferred twice I finally got to see the first joy in my son's eyes since August when he got his acceptance letter this weekend. As a father I have felt a little robbed not getting to see my son play his Sr year of football and possibly in college but I realize now the Lord has bigger plans for him. A degree at State carries a lot more weight than any D2 or D3 school he could have played football at. And of course I cannot wait to tailgate and cheer on the Pack with him next fall!!!!

Things have certainly changed since I went to school! Those kind of credentials in my era wouldn't have gotten any deferments, but instead an immediate acceptance!

Congrats to your son. Hope he earns his degree!

Ken

That's awesome, but what is a Wolfpacher?
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    That's awesome, but what is a Wolfpacher?
    Those are the athletic trainers.

Congrats, LSmith, to your son. As Ken said, I'm glad it was as tough to get in back in our day or I may not have made it in myself.

My son is only 9 and dreams of playing basketball for the Pack. Since he inherited my speed and jumping ability, his only shot at it is developing a deadly 3 point stroke, which he now works on every day.

A very happy young man who is now officially a NC State student. Very proud of how he rose from a lot of adversity this past year and now living his dream. Cannot see from this photo but latest x-ray a few weeks ago still shows a clear fracture in his back. He told me he would like to try to walk on in football this spring, I will not discourage him from trying but I am convinced regardless he is where he needs and wants to be for his education and professional development.

danny grad 2.jpg

Well after 5 and half years I was at the Hunt Library today to see Danny get his degree in Biological and Environmental Engineering. Been a long road with a switch in major after year 2 but he finally did it. Cannot be more proud. We ate at Amedeos after the graduation and then we released him to celebrate his achievement with his friends. He has mostly texted me the past couple hours concerning the State vs Auburn game like he usually does. I hope he is celebrating now. He has earned it.

Dont know if you can see the image that I tried to download but if you can you will see that I have gained a lot more gray hairs and a lot more weight over the past 5 and a half years. Mostly form my daughter lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    danny grad 2.jpg

Well after 5 and half years I was at the Hunt Library today to see Danny get his degree in Biological and Environmental Engineering. Been a long road with a switch in major after year 2 but he finally did it. Cannot be more proud. We ate at Amedeos after the graduation and then we released him to celebrate his achievement with his friends. He has mostly texted me the past couple hours concerning the State vs Auburn game like he usually does. I hope he is celebrating now. He has earned it.
    Fantastic! And since you paid for that degree, you’re officially an alumnus now too!

Ken

LOL!! The paying for the degree part has also added to the gray hairs. I appreciate that Ken and I have always felt part of the Wolfpack family being a fan since my uncle who passed away just this past September used to carry my brother and me to games in the early 70s but super proud of my son getting a engineering degree from one of the best engineering schools in the country. The educational part with my son has given me a new perspective on NC State that I cannot claim. This has been challenging and hard on him. His professors and advisers has been especially hard on him like a good coach does. They have made him a better person. They pushed him academically as much or more than any of my college football coaches did for me athletically. He already has a great paying job lined up. I will always claim to be a part of the Pack family as a fan but I cannot claim a part of what NC State means academically like my son, you and many of the other posters in this forum has.

Awesome stuff, and yes you are part of the Family!
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Thread Information