NC State defeats Syracuse 16-10 at home to improve to 4-2 (1-1 ACC).
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

Default Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

Well my daughter is now old enough where she is playing 8U fastpitch softball. Technically she was supposed to have played T-Ball this year but the recreation league director allowed me to move her up (She was supposed to have turned 7 by 12/31/12 to play 8U and did not turn 7 until 4/14/13). To put into perspective the age difference, my daughter is in the 1st grade (1 of only 2 girls in the first grade on her team) where as the majority of the girls on her team are either in the 3rd or 2nd grade. We have 13 girls on our team, which is quite a bit for a rec team, and only 9 play in the field. Well I thought Mckenzie had been doing really well, especially hitting the ball, considering she played t-ball last year and this year they are hitting off a pitching machine where the ball is traveling 32 MPH. However due to her age and inexperience, I did not expect for her to play a lot this year and prepared her for that. Her coach told me that Mckenzie would be starting this year in right field, and batting 3rd in his lineup. He said that his wife tracks every hit and throw during practice, and that over the last 2.5 weeks of practice, Mckenzie was easily one of the most consistent hitters on the team during that span. He also said that she was one of the better catchers on the team and needed her in right field since that position backs up the first baseman.

Her coach told me that he has been coaching rec ball for 10 years now and the Mckenzie was easily one of the most coach-able kids he has ever had. She does everything he ask, does not complain, and picks up the information quickly. I know I am biased so even though I help coach the team, I do not coach Mckenzie (only help her practice at home), I leave that up to Greg (and to brag on Greg, he is one of the best rec coaches I have ever been around. He is simply awesome. He know his stuff and is really good with the kids on the team. He has been great for Mckenzie this year).

Just had to brag a little. And yes, she wants to play ball for State. If you mention UNC-CH around her she will tell you that is an ugly word.
    Last edited by Derreck; 12th May 2013 at 19:56.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

She's raised right!

Ken

No doubt...

I know this is only rec ball but had to share...
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

I can't believe she's that old already. Seems like only yesterday......

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    I can't believe she's that old already. Seems like only yesterday......

Yea, me either. Played their first game tonight and won 10-3. She was 0-2 at the plate, but accounted for a couple of outs. Before the game she was so nervous she was about to throw up. She has to get used to 3 strikes and your out.

Coach Avent

An update. Mckenzie's team is 5-2 on the year and Mckenzie has been playing really well. Here is a pic from a recent game. Look at that concentration...

Coach Avent

When we started this website, I remember you posted a photo of a baby! Now, the baby is holding a bat like she knows what to do with it!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    When we started this website, I remember you posted a photo of a baby! Now, the baby is holding a bat like she knows what to do with it!

Ken
    Yep, cannot believe it. Mckenzie was little when this website was started.

Coach Avent

An update.

The season is over, Mckenzie missed out on the All-Stars by one pick. The all-star coach told me if he had one more slot he would have picked Mckenzie. Not too shabby considering she was supposed to have been in TBall this year. Mckenzie finished the year batting a pretty darn good .572. The best hitter in the league batted .915 for the year for perspective (only one who batted in the .900 range, most were .600 to .750 that were on the all star team). Mckenzie was batting a little over .700 but her coach and I tweaked her swing a little during mid-season trying to add a little bit more power. She struggled with that for about 6 games but once she figured it out she was absolutely smashing the ball the last few games. She is now consistently hitting the ball too the outfield and for 8U that is darn impressive. I have been approached by several coaches wanting Mckenzie to play on their travel ball team. I am honored, but not going to allow her to do that just yet.

I was honored to be asked to help coach the all-star team and we have done well, finishing 2nd in two different tournaments with one more tournament left prior to the start of the state tournament. Mckenzie has been out practicing with the all-star team even though she is not on the team. She has proven to herself that she belongs with those girls as she is more than holding her own. Her coach and I already new she belonged but she needed to know. What has been great about this for Mckenzie is that she is filling in at different spots as needed for BP or when a girl is out for whatever reason. She is learning a ton about the different positions right now and that will be a huge benefit for her next year. Several of the parents have told me that they thing Mckenzie should have been on the all-star team and that means a lot to me but her time will come next year.

Coach Avent

Very cool Derreck. I really love the personalized batting helmet.

Thread Information