In the most shocking development in NCAA history, the 2020 basketball tournaments (men and women) are cancelled. In addition, the ACC has suspended all sports operations, including practices, games, and even recruiting events.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

Time for an update:

We are in the middle of volleyball season. With the number of girls this year we had to expand middle school to have enough players to field a middle school team. Mckenzie is the only 8th grader, I have two 7th, graders, a 6th grader, and 5 5th graders. So I am starting (I am the middle school coach) 2 or 3 5th graders each game. Mckenzie is the only player who has ever played school ball and only two others have ever played volleyball at all. We have had an up and down year but are getting better.

Mckenzie has been a great leader for the younger girls. Encouraging, positive, etc, as a team captain should be. Mckenzie also leads the team in service points, digs, aces, and hits. Mckenzie also plays with the JV team so she is doing double duty.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

You have a heck of a challenge ahead of you coach!

A Challenge, but has been rewarding. We are at the point of our schedule where we are playing teams for a second time. In middle school volleyball you play best out of 3 and you play to 25. We played the best team in the league last week for the second time. The first time we lost in straight sets 25-12 and 25-14. Last week we lost 25-21, 22-25, and 15-12 (3rd set is only to 15). We we went from getting blown off of the court to giving the best team in the league all they could handle. Their coach said I am sure glad we dont play you again this year after the game. We have also picked up a few other victories along the way.

I am not normally a morals victory guy, but with this team I am having to be. We are a first year middle school and the teams we play have had established middle school teams for years. So we are playing catch-up. We are setting goals and exceeding them. I am super proud of how they play.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

So Mckenzie got a new toy for Christmas and it is awesome. Its through a company called Diamond Kinetics. and it is a softball that tracks her pitches during a bullpen session. I am able to look at her pitch speed, spin rate, extension, spin direction, time to plate (calculated pitch speed), delivery, reach back to release, and pitch location. I can also video her pitches (pitch by pitch) that allows us to break down her pitching motion while comparing everything to the matrix we are developing on her pitches. So instead of forcing her into a box and saying pitch this way we are able to break it down and develop a pitching style that best fits her.

So, she got it Christmas day and the first time we used it was December 28th. That day the "fastest" she threw (we focused on fastballs) was 53-54 MPH. Which for a 13 year old is just above average speed (45-52 is the listed average speed). After breaking down the stats, we were able to tweak her pitch from the data and this past Saturday she hit 59 MPH. That is the average speeds of a pitcher who is 16. So in just over a weeks time and 2 bull pen sessions her fastball went up 5 MPH. Her pitching coach could not believe it. We all felt that there was more in her pitches that we just were not getting from her and the data really helped us figure it out. All in her stride. The quicker she got her plant foot down the faster the pitch. Which kinda goes against what a softball pitcher is taught. You are taught to stride out as far as you can. With this, we were able to find a happy medium to stride length to release point. The pitching coach as now ordered one for her other lessons to use.

Now we are going to focus on here change-up and breaking balls and see what improvements we can make there.
    Last edited by Derreck; 7th January 2020 at 05:43.

Coach Avent

Wow! Amazed at how technology has not only developed, but has become widely available.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Wow! Amazed at how technology has not only developed, but has become widely available.

Ken
    Yep, they also have a swing tracker as well. Might be Mckenzie's birthday present in April.

Coach Avent

Well, as I am sure everyone knows sports are on hiatus. Mckenzie and I continue to do drills and such at the house in preparation for when we are able to get back to the field. There will be no school ball this year (obviously) so Mckenzie hopes to get on a travel team for the summer since she missed her 8th grade year which will be the first time she wants to play full time travel in a couple of years. Hate that she missed her 8th grade year as we had enough for a middle school team this year and Mckenzie was slated as the starting pitcher and cleanup hitter. We also had the makup of being a pretty good team. The short stop we have is one of the best leadoff hitters at her age I have seen. Mckenzie has guest played on the sort stops travel team.

In other news Mckenzie applied to, and was accepted into Early College High School. I am sure every state has some variation of this, but in our area Mckenzie will attend high school at the local community college. When she graduates high school she will have 2 years of transferable college credits so she will start out college as a Jr. Because of this, Mckenzie must declare her college major her freshman year of high school. After talking with her, she believes she would like to major in Biomedical Engineering. She is not sure what concentration of Biomedical Engineering yet, but she dosent have to declare that this early on anyway. The one challenge, ECHS does not offer sports. So we are not sure what we will do there. We have requested permission to continue to play for the school she attends now, waiting on that. The one other option is to play for the local home school group team. We will see how this goes.

Coach Avent

That's awesome about the early college. They have that in Florida also, same thing you graduate with an associates. Our 8th grader is not focused enough to be on that path (2 years of free tuition... bah). They do part time at the high school and part time at the community college, so they are still able to play sports at the high school.

Quote Originally Posted by packinjax View Post
    That's awesome about the early college. They have that in Florida also, same thing you graduate with an associates. Our 8th grader is not focused enough to be on that path (2 years of free tuition... bah). They do part time at the high school and part time at the community college, so they are still able to play sports at the high school.

Yea, out other option was the dual enrollment where you take courses at the community college but still attend the same high school. The problem with that is here she would not have been able to start until her Jr yer of HS so we were loosing out on almost a year and a half of college w/ free tuition. The decision to accept the early college is just as you stated, 2 years of free tuition and Mckenzie is just as driven academically as she is with sports.

Coach Avent

I retain these dreams where your daughter signs an offer letter to play for NC State and you can sign her up here to be our first (and perhaps only) forum member who's an active student-athlete!

Ken

Thread Information