NC State will face Arizona State in the Sun Bowl, 29 Dec @ 15:00 eastern, broadcast on CBS. Go Pack!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

It's so less complicated to have boys!

Ken

We played the first game of the season this past Tuesday and won in straight sets. While Mckenzie did not start, she did see a lot of time on the floor. The whole team did really well and Mckenzie was her usual self.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Mckenzie's team is currently 3-0. Mckenzie has been seeing more and more time on the floor. I am really enjoying being able to watch and not coach! Its a refreshing change of pace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Mckenzie started her first ever school game yesterday as a 6th grader and it was a road game. The team lost, but they played great. It came down to the final set against the best team in the league traditionally. It was a match of unbeaten teams.

Coach Avent

The season has come to a close, so proud of Mckenzie. The team did great, finished with a record of 12-3 I think. I know the 3 loss is accurate, but cannot remember if it is 10 or 12 wins. Anyway, Mckenzie got a lot of PT the remainder of the season and started all but a few games after her first start. No too shabby.

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    The season has come to a close, so proud of Mckenzie. The team did great, finished with a record of 12-3 I think. I know the 3 loss is accurate, but cannot remember if it is 10 or 12 wins. Anyway, Mckenzie got a lot of PT the remainder of the season and started all but a few games after her first start. No too shabby.
    Enjoy these times brother because they go by way too fast and yes be Proud!!! My son is a Sr at NC State and my daughter is a Freshman at App State. I look back at all the years I spent coaching, taking them to practices, and always being there to encourage them and those were the best years of my life. I can remember one specific day in which I was an assistant coach on my son's Little League baseball team and he had a game and my daughter who was 8 at the time had her gymnastic award ceremony the same day. My son's team was undefeated and playing the other undefeated team in the league that day. My wife and I argued about who was going to take Hope to her awards ceremony because we both wanted to see Danny her older brother play baseball. I remember looking into my little girls eyes as I was warming up my son who was pitching that day and went to my wife and told her to keep me posted on Danny because Hope and I were going to gymnastics. Never regretted that decision and Danny was fine with it because I rarely missed his games. I developed a special bond with Hope that day and a year later we were taking her to Gardner Webb for the State gymnastics championships in which she won 1rst place on the vault in her age group.

What I am saying is soak in every moment of these years because you will never get them back and Mckenzie will always remember and appreciated all the time you have invested.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Enjoy these times brother because they go by way too fast and yes be Proud!!! My son is a Sr at NC State and my daughter is a Freshman at App State. I look back at all the years I spent coaching, taking them to practices, and always being there to encourage them and those were the best years of my life. I can remember one specific day in which I was an assistant coach on my son's Little League baseball team and he had a game and my daughter who was 8 at the time had her gymnastic award ceremony the same day. My son's team was undefeated and playing the other undefeated team in the league that day. My wife and I argued about who was going to take Hope to her awards ceremony because we both wanted to see Danny her older brother play baseball. I remember looking into my little girls eyes as I was warming up my son who was pitching that day and went to my wife and told her to keep me posted on Danny because Hope and I were going to gymnastics. Never regretted that decision and Danny was fine with it because I rarely missed his games. I developed a special bond with Hope that day and a year later we were taking her to Gardner Webb for the State gymnastics championships in which she won 1rst place on the vault in her age group.

What I am saying is soak in every moment of these years because you will never get them back and Mckenzie will always remember and appreciated all the time you have invested.
    That's grade A advice there if I've ever heard it!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post

Absolutely great advice. And I know what you mean about the bond. Mckenzie and I have developed that special bond as well (and it drives my wife crazy, lol). My neice was raised by my parents and I look at her and think of all the things her mom missed out on. Mckenzie will never have to worry about that. I have turned down 3 promotions due to the increased travel. Spending this time on the field/court/home with her means more to me than any promotion.

Coach Avent

Time for a softball update.

I have really enjoyed seeing the fire to play this game return for Mckenzie. The school she attends has started winter workouts for all girls planning on trying out for softball in the spring. Which I am loving because Mckenzie elected to not try out for basketball to focus on pitching this winter. Anyway, she has always played up as anyone who follows this thread knows and a few girls that are older on the team are some of the girls that were on teams Mckenzie has guest played for during travel so on Monday she was throwing/catching/ and doing the drills with the girls she knew that were older and she missed (ignored I think, lol) the instructions to group with kids in the same grade during the drills. This way coach can start gauging who he will move up to varsity and who he will leave down. Not that that decision is made now, but he can start getting an idea of his team. So apparently Mckenzie was running drills with the 8th and 9th graders. So yesterday I come a little early so I can catch the end of practice and by this time the pitchers/ catchers have broken off to work on drills and such. When I come in I see the coach standing directly behind Mckenzie while she was pitching to the varsity Sr. catcher (who has a D1 scholarship to Marist in NY, BTW). So I watch for a bit, speak to the parents i know and introduce myself to those I dont while I wait for practice to end. Mckenzie comes up to me, I give her a hug and start helping get her stuff together when I get a tap on my shoulder from the coach. Coach introduced himself to me and then said "I know Mckenzie is a little younger, but would you be OK with me pulling her up to varsity this year? She is a decent pitcher and has a big bat, but I really need her for pitching relief if my main pitcher is struggling." I said "You want to pull a 6th grader up to Varsity?" Yall, his jaw hit the floor. He then tells me that Mckenzie has worked with the 8th and 9th graders since Monday and he thought she was a 9th grader. I laughed, I said no Sir she is a 6th grader. We talked and he said, well I guess I need to figure something else out, shook my hand and walked off.

Anyway. I get a text from him this morning about her pitching for varsity. My initial reaction is no. Not that I dont think she can handle it, she can. But I would much prefer her to be the JV pitcher and get more mound time than sitting on the bench as a backup. In NC the way the rules work is that you can play 3 games a week max. So if there is only one JV game scheduled that week but 3 Varsity games she can play the JV game and be eligible for 2 Varsity games. Or if the JV has 2 but the varsity has one, she is eligible for the Varsity. So I think I am going to tell him he can pull her up when the JV doesnt have 3 games and there is not a schedule conflict. However I have not discussed with my wife yet, so who knows. LOL

Coach Avent

Thread Information