NC State survives six turnovers to beat Boston College 28-23. The Pack has a bye week to ready for the road game at Clemson.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Sadly, it reports video unavailable.

Ken
    How about now?
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

"You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Yep, that worked!

I also got your email. So, do I still need to do anything with that clip?

Ken

Yep, that worked!

I also got your email. So, do I still need to do anything with that clip?

Ken
    An, Iím good. Posted that a page back

Coach Avent

Time for an update. School softball season is winding down with only a few games left. We are 11-1 on the season and having a great year.

There has been a little drama with the middle school coach and varsity coach about pulling girls up and playing them. Unfortunately, my daughter got caught in the cross hair of that as the middle school coach won out and none of the middle school girls got pulled up to varsity. And because of that, Mckenzie has seen very little mound time. The Middle school HC is old school in that he goes with experience first. So the majority of the pitching has come from the 8th grade pitcher. Another challenge is that we have won every game by mercy rule but 1 so there have been limited innings to go around for the 4 pitchers he has. She has done well in the limited mound time. She has faced 12 batters, struck out 7 and allowed 3 hits only issued one walk. Not too shabby for a now 12 year old (turned 12 on April 14th) facing predominately 13 and 14 years old kids.

The attached video is from our game yesterday. We played one of the better teams in the area who has one of the best pitchers. Avery is on the mound, is 14 years old and you can see the size difference between Mckenzie, Avery and the catcher. While she has not see a lot of mound time, he does use her in situations for pinch hitting. In the video, it is the 5th inning and Mckenzie hits a solid single to center field driving in the tying and go ahead run. The video actually does not do it justice, from the angle it looks more like a pop fly because I was zoomed in, but it was actually a line drive shot.

https://youtu.be/WVXYTI6YeTo

Just a detail note about this hit. As you have seen from other videos I have posted, Mckenzie is good at going oppo for solid base hits. The other coach knows that and had the shift on in the outfield. Our coach saw it and called for Mckenzie to pull. The pitcher also pitched her outside trying to get her to hit to the defensive shift and Mckenzie did a great job of adjusting and pulling to the open hole in the defensive outfield. Watch Mckenzie's feet and hands on her swing adjusting to what the pitcher gave her. I think that what she is doing is darn impressive for a just turned 12 year old the grader.

Coach Avent

A nice scouting report from a justifiably proud father!

Ken

A nice scouting report from a justifiably proud father!

Ken
    Defiantly proud, a bases loaded single, driving in 2 runs.

Coach Avent

Well we stumbled across the finish going 1-2 over the last 3 games giving us a final record of 12-3. Ironically Mckenzie did not play in the last 3 games. Dont know why, did not get an explanation. My guess it was over a disagreement over batting practice I had with the coach. When we have bad weather we go over to the batting cages. I despise pitching machines, especially softball pitching machines. So Mckenzie knows she is not supposed to go into the batting cage with the pitching machine. So she goes to the T cage and the front toss cage multiple times to make sure she is getting the work in and not have the appearance she is not working like the other girls. She actually ends up getting in more swings than the other girls. Anyway, batting practice was winding up and Mckenzie was getting her stuff together (most girls had already left), the head coach called her and said to hit off of the pitching machine. She, politely I might add, said she is not supposed to. He proceeded to raise his voice at her and told her to get in the cage, that he was the HC and she would do as he said.

Well, that sent me into orbit, I was already on my way over to see him to discuss why I dont want her hitting off of a pitching machine. So I come around the corner and told him under no circumstance would Mckenzie be getting in that cage to hit off of the machine. Lets just say he did not like that one bit. Frankly, I did not care if he did or did not. I have spent years working on her swing getting it where it is at and I am not going to mess it up now. And yes I believe hitting off of a machine messes up a hitter (if anyone is curious, I can explain why). And honestly, she had not hit off of the machine all year so why all of a sudden was it such a big deal?

Anyway, the season is over. Now on to travel softball.

Coach Avent

I hope you get her far away from that coach.

Hitting machines are rarely used and professional hitters do not use them at all. They use tees in order to practice precise swings at balls in given locations. Hitting is all about watching the motion of a pitcher and gauging that motion to pick up time cues, and zeroing in on the release point of the pitcher's arm and hand. Once that is figured out, the rest is pitch recognition. This recognition is about predicting the trajectory of the pitch, and its speed, so that the hitter then puts the barrel of the bat where he anticipates the ball will go, and keeping his eye on the ball all the way to bat contact so that the eye-hand coordination takes over to make subtle corrections as the pitch enters the hitting zone. Normally, that comes from recognition of ball rotation, using the seams as the guide, and that's why excellent eye sight is so often a requirement for excellent hitting. In some instances, a pitcher will expose the ball while still in his hand, and savvy hitters can recognize the pitch coming merely by recognizing how the pitcher is holding the ball.

Pitching machines hide all of those human nuances, and that makes it very difficult to register what kind of pitch is being thrown. It also can make it nearly impossible to gauge the timeframe of the release, and even if artificial nuances like bells and mechanical arm swings are eventually used, those signals become meaningless in a game against a human pitcher. So, it is what is referred to as negative reinforcement, training to excel against something you never face in the actual game.

The coach had a choice here, to either agree to what you wanted your daughter to do, or to tell you (not her) that if she did not follow his instructions that he would have to kick her off the team, and then allow you to make the final decision. Without those cues, the approach at the plate is altered to something that doesn't fit well with the ability of a human to throw a pitch. The coach has either never had this explained to him, or he's simply too stubborn to accept the logic of it.

For him to raise his voice at her was wrong, given he knew the underlying reasons. He was trying to force your daughter to choose between his direction and your's. In that regard, no man of moral foundation would ever try to assert his judgment ahead of a father's, insofar as a true child is concerned. Moreover, the coach elevated his technique above the needs of his team, likely causing two of their three losses to root itself in benching one of the better players on the team.

Professional hitting instructors use tees and soft toss as a method to hone in perfecting a swing pattern to hit a pitch in a given zone of the plate. Timing comes from live pitching. Even that is acknowledged though to fail to meet the demands of live in-game hitting. I don't know of any college or professional baseball teams that use hitting machines. Those fell out of favor many years ago. I doubt many, if any, high school coaches are using hitting machines any longer, and for the reasons I stated. And this coach ought seriously and immediately to talk to these true hitting coaches at the college and professional levels to figure this out for himself!

Sad situation, Derreck. It appears a coach let his ego become more important than his obligations to the team.

Ken

As I stated above, the coach is old school, this is how it was done so this is how he thinks it should be done. He just does not comprehend that pitching machines hurt batters and it has been proven over and over.

He called my Friday afternoon and we had about a 2 hour conversation. He knows I was not happy and wanted to "smooth things over." He claims he honestly did not realize he raised his voice at her, and to his credit, apologized to her directly. He actually believes that pitching machines help with timing, not hurt it. I tried to explain why, even mentioned all you stated above. He just disagrees. Which is fine, but I again politely reiterated to him under no circumstance would Mckenzie ever go hit off of a pitching machine. We live within 20 minutes of ECU. I told him to ride over and take a tour of the facility, neither the baseball or softball facilities have a pitching machine. When we were in Florida for the World Series a few years ago we toured the Florida Gators softball facilities (the Gators are the National Power in softball) and they dont have a pitching machine either. He also claims that him not playing her had nothing to do with that, though could not really give me a great reason as to why she did not play.

Anyway, he said that with his daughter being on varsity next year he would not be coaching the middle school team and that if I was interested that either myself or Donnie (was the assistant this year) would be the coach. I told him I would do it so I am now waiting on what the board decides to do.

Coach Avent

Thread Information