The 2018-19 athletic season has concluded for NC State. Football starts in two months! See you then!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

An update.

Mckenzie has been playing travel softball and doing well. Her reputation has spread as a power hitter and now when she comes up to bat the other teams automatically back up their outfield. Volleyball has started for school and our first game is this afternoon, however school does not start until Next Monday.

Now the bad news. Mckenzie is having a issue with her left foot. She cannot put any pressure on her heel without being in a lot of pain. We took her to the Dr yesterday and they took ex-rays. The ex-rays were negative so the Dr. has referred her to an orthopedic Dr. We cannot even get into the orthopedic dr until the 29th. So she will miss her first 4 volleyball games and the next travel ball tournament before we can even see the dr. However, we are not going to risk anything at this point so she will sit out and wait to see exactly what is going on. So in the mean time she is going to support her teammates from the sideline, which is an adjustment for her.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Smart move from smart parents.

Quote Originally Posted by packinjax View Post
    Smart move from smart parents.
    Thanks. It was hard on her yesterday. We lost or first volleyball game, Mckenzie was set to be a starter until she got hurt. Yesterday was a very close match and the girls almost pulled it off. Mckenzie being the competitor she is hates to lose and felt like being on the court she could have helped. The coach had to use a first time player more than she wanted because Mckenzie was not available and she made some mistakes. Nothing bad, just inexperience. But as a parent I was proud, Mckenzie cheered the girls on, gave words of encouragement, and per the coach, during timeouts as well as before and after sets she was talking with the girls, giving advice, and being "a great teammate" encouraging the more inexperienced player. In fact the coach told me that Mckenzie ought to think about going into coaching after her playing days are done. In her words she is "a natural." Said she did not have to say a whole lot because of Mckenzie. And Mckenzie did it in a way that was positive. She also said that she is becoming the leader of this team through her words and actions. The girls are responding to her very well.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Update. We were able to get Mckenzie into the Orthopedic Dr on Friday, a few days sooner that scheduled due to a cancellation. Mckenzie has been diagnosed with Sever's Disease, which is basically an inflammation of the growth plate in the heel. It is fairly common in active children around Mckenzie's age. The good news is that it is self limiting, meaning that Mckenzie cannot do any damage to anything its just about how much pain can she tolerate. The bad news is the Dr said it could take several months for it to heal since she is active but wants her to remain active and not stop and just manage the pain as best she can.

So yesterday Mckenzie returned to the volleyball court. She played well, especially the first set. The second set her foot was bothering her and she was having a bit of trouble moving so the coach had to take her out. The team did win and Mckenzie contributed to the win. Coach told me afterwards she let Mckenzie stay longer on the floor then she should have, but it is what it is.

Coach Avent

Time for another update. For the first time since Mckenzie was 6 years old she is not playing softball this year. The school did not have enough girls to have a middle school team so we are sitting out the season. Could not convince her to play rec either so other than a handful of weekends where she is guest playing for a travel team, no softball. She is in 7th grade so the new conference we are in this year would not allow 7th graders to be pulled to varsity.

We talked and we are taking this opportunity to have some fun and do some different things. She is still working (we had a pitching lesson yesterday) and will be ready come next year. This might be the beginning of the end though. Mckenzie has expressed interest in going to early college. Early college, for those not aware, is a high school that is attended at the local community college. It is 9-12th grade. So Mckenzie will have to apply for admittance. If she gets in, she will be getting college credits while attending high school. Most early college graduates, depending on college majors, will transfer a full 2 years of college to a university. However, early college does not have sports. So that would be a sacrifice for her, but she has a desire to get a jump start on college if she can get in. the local home school group does field sports teams and she can play for them, but the teams the field are hit or miss from year to year.

Coach Avent

Never heard of no softball team. Thatís the prime summer sport for girls.

Ken

She attends a small school. She is one of only 12 kids in her grade. Fielding a softball team for us is difficult some years depending on the size of girls in groups. Last years eight graders were half of the middle school team so when they moved up we lost 6 girls. We only have a couple of 6 graders interested in playing so we ended up with 8 girls show up to first practice and could not convince 2 or 3 more to play.

Also, to be frank Softball is dying in Eastern NC. This travel competition cheerleading crap is taking over around here. Its not just hurting softball, its hurting all girls sports because that is year round and they travel a lot.

Coach Avent

Sounds to me like the schools in the area need to form joint school athletics.

Ken

Its a private Christian school. If we were at the public school there would be no issue.

Another update. While sitting out the year Mckenzie's foot healed up nicely and she is able to move around on it. However, she was injured horse playing around the house and broke the index finger on her left hand and tore the ligament between the index and middle finger. She has been in recovery and was cleared yesterday to resume normal activity. This has been quite the year for her but she is refreshed and ready. First thing she wanted to do yesterday was hit then pitch. Getting ready to start summer workouts in a couple of weeks.

Coach Avent

Cool -- the part about healing up and getting ready! The rest, not so much! LOL!!!

Ken

Thread Information