In the most shocking development in NCAA history, the 2020 basketball tournaments (men and women) are cancelled. In addition, the ACC has suspended all sports operations, including practices, games, and even recruiting events.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

That's really cool stuff, Derreck! Can't think of anything better than seeing your child do well!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    Very cool Derreck. I really love the personalized batting helmet.
    Thanks. She has had that one for two years now. Most likely it will not fit next year so it will be time for a new one so we get to go through the whole decorate the helmet thing. For some reason it is really popular in the softball world.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

We did a combo practice between the 8U all-star team and the 10U all-star team last night, running a semi-scrimmage. Mckenzie had not been allowed to hit during practice because she is not on the actual all-star team and we wanted to save the BP for the girls who would be playing in the actual game. Coach told Mckenzie to get her helmet and get at the plate last night. He wanted to allow the pitcher for the 10U team to face some batters since we had only allowed the 8U girls to hit off of the pitching machine so we do not mess them up. So Mckenzie and the few reserve 10U girls got to hit off the pitcher.

So Mckenzie goes to the plate and Coach told her to just do her best. First pitch she hit a double to left center. Of course I was beaming with pride. She had never seen a live pitch like that, had only hit off the pitching machine or when I soft tossed to her. Of course her 8U teammates went nuts when she hit it and she was grinning from ear to ear. My wife was watching and did not really understand what all the fuss was about. She said "she has been hitting the ball to the outfield for the last part of the season, what is everyone so excited about?" I had to explain to her the difference in hitting a double off of a pitching machine and a double off of a pitcher. LOL. We let Mckenzie have three at bats last night in the scrimmage hitting off of the 10U pitcher, she went 3-3, a double and two singles. One of the singles should have been a double but the idiot first base coach (me) did not send her.

To put this into perspective, the 10U pitcher is one of the better pitchers in our region. She is actually 11 years old now and is on a 12U travel ball team that wins a lot of tournaments and she is the starting pitcher. She did not take it easy on Mckenzie either, we told her when Mckenzie went to the plate to pitch like she should so she did not mess up her form or anything. She only gave up 5 hits last night, 3 to Mckenzie. We let her face 15 batters.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

I hope the Wolfpack coaching staff is paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    I hope the Wolfpack coaching staff is paying attention.
    It's funny you should say that. I actually have my wife record Mckenzie during practice and during games. When I need some advice I will send the video to my buddy at State and he will show it to one of the softball assistants for some advice on what I can do to correct said issue. So they see a video of here once or twice every few months. One of the assistants emailed me and told me they will need to keep an eye on her as she has some natural talent, I am sure he was being nice but still pretty cool.
    Last edited by Derreck; 13th August 2013 at 13:54.

Coach Avent

Another brief update on Mckenzie.

She has been playing really well as of late. She really seems to be finding her groove. She has been on a 8U travel ball team so we have been in a few tournaments recently. Well the latest is that the 10U coach asked me to let Mckenzie play for him for a tournament. So my daughter, who is 7 years old, is currently playing on a 10U travel team. She will play the next tournament in the middle of October for the 10U team.

Coach Avent

Well, we just completed the Trunk-or-Treat tournament this past weekend. Mckenzie did really well at the plate. She went 4-7 at the plate with 3 RBI and a double. This was coming off the bench as a pinch hitter. Not too shabby for a 7 year old girl playing against 10 and 11 year old girls. (you can play in 10U until January if you are 11). We clocked one pitcher she hit the double off of at 59 MPH. Lets just say I am one proud Dad today.

She has to work on her fielding to to get more PT as she is still a little behind the 10U girls at this stage. She gets a little better at fielding she will be starting for this team based off of her batting ability. Heck, the coach even said he may have to sacrifice the fielding to get her bat into the lineup.

Now I have a big decision to make. Keep her at 10U with the higher level of competition or bring her back down to 8U so she will be a starter and get more PT? Not sure what to do.

Coach Avent

I'm loving these updates! Maybe in 10 years we'll see her sign an LOI to play at NC State!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    I'm loving these updates! Maybe in 10 years we'll see her sign an LOI to play at NC State!

Ken
    That is my dream. Maybe in 8 or so years I will be able to come here and post that she received a recruitment letter from State.

Mckenzie has said she would like to be a vet too so it would be a good fit. Of course she will probably change her mind 100 times before then.

Coach Avent

Still torn about what to do with keeping her in 10U or dropping her back to 8U. If Mckenzie had her way she would stay on the 10U team, she likes that team a lot better than the 8U team she has been playing for.

Coach Avent

Thread Information