NC State got smacked on the road 44-27 at West Virginia to fall to 2-1.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got to brag on my little girl (who is not so little anymore)

Well, it has been decided. Mckenzie will remain on the 10U team. After talking to every coach I can think of, they all agreed that she would be better off on the 10U team.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

I am very hesitant to provide any suggestions to you given this is your daughter. But, I recall the numbers of successful athletes who say they think they benefited from playing against older kids who forced them to endure the hardships and become better for it. No matter how good one is in high school, college is always a challenge so I suspect those who were challenged early are better prepared.

I would think the best inputs would come from college coaches.

Having said all that, I strongly suspect you've already thought of all of this so again who the heck am I to even provide any suggestions to you!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    I am very hesitant to provide any suggestions to you given this is your daughter. But, I recall the numbers of successful athletes who say they think they benefited from playing against older kids who forced them to endure the hardships and become better for it. No matter how good one is in high school, college is always a challenge so I suspect those who were challenged early are better prepared.

I would think the best inputs would come from college coaches.

Having said all that, I strongly suspect you've already thought of all of this so again who the heck am I to even provide any suggestions to you!

Ken
    Hey, I have no issue at all with the suggestions.

In the end the decision to keep her on the 10U team instead of dropping her back down to 8U is exactly as you suggested. The level of competition is higher and it pushes her. I spoke with both the ECU coaching staff (Mckenzie goes to quite a few of their camps) as well as the State staff via my buddy. They both suggested to keep her at 10U if she is willing too and is capable, which she is.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Time for a new update. We have started our rec ball season tonight. This should have been Mckenzie's first year playing fast pitch ball as posted earlier I moved her up early. She is still only 7 (turns 8 on the 14th), based off of tonight's results we made the right decision to move her up early. She went 2-3 at the plate, a bouble and and 3 RBI. She is also my first baseman. She made several nice snags and recorded several outs.

She is really turning out to be one heck of a player. I hope she continues to love it because I love spending so much time at the ball field with her. My niece, who played jr. College softball, helps me with her. Even she says Mckenzie has the potential to be better than she ever thought about being. I will post some pice of her at the field as son as I can. I did not get any tonight as I am the head coach this year so I was kind of busy.

Coach Avent

Somehow, I have this feeling that we may see her play softball for NC State and make daddy a really happy father!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Somehow, I have this feeling that we may see her play softball for NC State and make daddy a really happy father!

Ken
    I truly hope so. So far that is her dream too... She want to play ball for NC State and Team USA.

Coach Avent

Don't blink Derreck, Enjoy these years. I really miss those Little League years with my son and working with him in football from LL through high school. My daughter is a freshman in HS and although I am extremely proud of her she has always been in the cheer and dance scene which unfortunately is not my thing.

I have a couple of nieces who plays for the Apex Sting in the Raleigh area. Don't know if you have run in to them doing the travel ball thing. They are a little older than your daughter with one being a HS freshman and the other a senior. My brother has been involved in coaching the Sting over the years. I have another niece (my brother in law's daughter) who is a sophomore in HS up here in Stokes county and has been on recruiting trips to several schools including South Carolina. She is really good but softball has been a year round deal for her since she was very little. I am kind of glad my son never got in to the travel thing when he was playing baseball. He was an All Star through little league but did not play beyond to concentrate on football. I hear travel ball can get expensive but in baseball and softball it really is the pathway to playing in college.

Best of luck and like I said enjoy every minute of it. The years fly by way to dang fast!!!

Thanks...

I know the APEX team, I have seen them at tournaments. When my daughter is not playing a game we take in other games and the Apex team is one we have watched. You are correct, travel ball gets expensive real quick. But I am loving every second of it and you are also correct on this is how the girls get found for college ball.

To see my daughter have the drive and desire to be a great player is awesome for me. I walk through the door when I get home from work the first thing out of Mckenzie's mouth is "can we practice?" She truly loves it and to have a 7 year old hang with 9 and 10 year old players is impressive to me. I just hope she sticks with it.

Coach Avent

We are now 3 games into the season and Mckenzie has continued to do well. She is an amazing 6 of 7 from the plate, 2 doubles and 5 RBI.

As a team we have struggled, but that is what you get when you coach 7 and 8 year old girls. We play again tonight and hope the girls break out of the funk they have been in the last two games.

Coach Avent

You know, this thread is quickly becoming the highlight of this website!

Ken

Thread Information