NC State makes it two wins on the road in a row, beating Wake Forest 90-84!

Thread: #8 Virginia

Default #8 Virginia

Everyone wants to focus on UNC and Duke, but frankly, the best looking team in the ACC may well be #8 Virginia, who took UNC to the woodshed at home today, beating the Heels 61-49. Virginia has always played stifling defense, and when you limit UNC to just 49 points for an entire game, what more does one really need to say about the quality of your defense!

Ken

Virginia just held #18 Clemson to 36 points. 13 in the second half.

Oh my....

Yeah! They are #2 in the nation now and it might be only a matter of time before they grab the top spot!

Ken

Clemson hit a three point shot at 10:11 of the first half to go up 16-14.

They scored 20 points over the remaining 30 minutes of play.

Makes me almost giddy that the Pack got 51 against ‘em !

There is a contingent of the Virginia fan base that are not fans of Bennett because they feel his style of play is not attractive to the top recruits and he will never have the quality players to win championships. I understand why an offensive minded kid would not want to play there but the guy has over a 70% win percentage in 7 years at UVA that includes 2 ACC regular season championships and 5 dance births that include a Sweet 16 and Elite 8. I would be firmly on board with Bennett if I were a Hoos fan.

Just looked at the Hoos’ schedule and results for the season thus far.

They have a 19-1 record, only losing to WVU in Morgantown.

In their 20 games, they have held 10 opponents UNDER 50 points.

Only 4 teams have scored 60 or more points against them, and Syracuse is the only ACC team to do so, with a whopping 61 (the other three are VCU, Davidson, and WVU).

The Pack at least broke 50 (51) against them 😊

That’s just outstanding, even if it is boring....

Well, I find their brand of basketball quite enjoyable to watch! But, then again, I enjoyed watching the Army football running game this year!

Right now, they are having their way at Cameron Indoor, and how often does one ever say that!

There may well be a changing of the coaching guard happening in the ACC. K and Roy aren't getting any younger and Tony Bennett at Virginia and Kevin Keatts at NC State are two younger men who's coaching acumen appear well proven.

And a validation on that point is that UNC lost to the Pack and Duke lost to Virginia 65-63, and both UNC and Duke lost at home.

Back to just Virginia, I realize there is a built in bias that a team ranked #1 doesn't lose that perch unless they get beat, but looking at #1 Villanova's record, it really isn't close to what Virginia has played. Nova lost by nine on the road to unranked Butler. That's their only loss. UVa''s only loss is 68-61 to #18 West Virginia. Nova has just one win against a ranked team, at home to #10 Xavier 89-65. Meanwhile, Virginia has knocked off #4 Duke on the road, plus beaten UNC and Clemson at home when they were both ranked. Xavier's schedule has been more challenging than has Villanova's. The Big East isn't anywhere close to the conference it used to be.

Ken

I agree, Ken.

There is beauty in their precision and tenacity. And I certainly think they are a more worthy #1 than Villanova, given the SOS. Big East can’t hold a candle to the ACC this year.

Also reinforces my old-fashioned feeling that “Good” players that stay and develop for four years are preferable to “Great” players who are only around a semester...

In a dog eat dog ACC season, the only team that had avoided getting scratched was #2 Virginia. Emphasis on past tense!

The Hokies traveled to Charlottesville and beat the Hoos in overtime 61-60!

Ken

Thread Information