NC State makes it two wins on the road in a row, beating Wake Forest 90-84!

Thread: Wake

Default Wake

State shares the ball and builds a solid 7 point lead, then starts jacking up threes and allows Wake to score 15 straight points.

They donít listen to Keats very well yet, obviously. On more than one occasion heís told them they suck when they go one on one, but can be special when they share the ball...

So now they trail an abysmal Wake team by 5 at the half. Hope Keats reams them out in the locker room.

State trails by two with 3:29 to go.

Yurtseven is keeping the Pack alive...

Managed to pull this one out, despite shaky free throw shooting down the stretch.

Gotta fix that, but good to hold serve at home vs a bottom-half team.

Whew !

Did not get to see the game because of work but did listen to most of the 2nd half. Looking at the box score is Yert the only dang "big" that dressed out tonight?? Apparently not because now I see Abu and Freeman scored 2 points each behind Yerts 22. Freeman did grab 6 rebounds and added a block with his 2 points but Abu wtf??? No rebounds in 13 minutes. He did jack up an unsuccessful 3 pointer which may explain why he only played 13 minutes. Yert has finally started to become the 5 star he was recruited for. If we can just get the Abu and Freeman contributing like like they did during the 2015 sweet sixteen run we would have the best front court in the ACC. Not taking anything away from the young men, both are recovering from injuries and Freeman has done a lot of things well so far this season but dang

Off my soap box now but way to take care of business tonight. Wake is a very talented team that has been in every ball game and they did beat UNCG at home like we did not. Great to have Markell being Markell back with 13 points, 4 assist, and 2 steals. Beverly was one assist from a double/double with 9 assist an 10 points.

We only shot 26% from behind the arc tonight but great effort on D tonight holding Wake who is averaging 42% from behind the arc against ACC play to only 23%.

The past 4 games including the loss at Virginia has shown me that if we can get all 3 bigs (Freeman, Abu, and Yert) playing together at the level they are capable of and just shoot from behind the arc at a percentage we are capable of (at least 35% per game) we will contend and make some noise in post season. The effort is there. Just hit some dang shots!!!!

The final score was by no means indicative of how close a contest this game really was. Wake started off in the first half shooting the lights out, but we were shooting well also. Then, as PW said, we started throwing up too many long range jumpers and not going inside enough. We fell flat offensively, and Wake kept shooting well.

Wake came back to earth in the second half!

After we initially got the game tied, it stayed tight until the last two minutes, when we went on a run to secure the final margin.

Wake has experienced this several times before, yielding very late runs to take tight games into apparently wide losses.

I don't think we would have won this game without Markell Johnson, as both he and Braxton Beverly complimented each other, and with Yertseven on the court, we had our best quality of play. In terms of Abu and Freeman, either both are still suffering from their injuries, or something is missing in their games that Keatts has picked up on. Neither are getting much court time, as Keatts is now featuring a four guard/small forward lineup with Yert in the post. I earlier said that I think Yert's game is reminding me of Frank Kaminski, and that remains true, but in terms of foreign born players, he reminds me of Dirk Nowiski.

This is the portion of the conference schedule where the Pack needs to make hay and they made hay tonight!

Ken

I think we can safely say this was one of those classic State/Wake games that were nip and tuck the whole way. Iím glad we came out in top of this one. On to da U this Sunday and another chance to build our NCAA Tounrney resume.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Thread Information