NC State makes it two wins on the road in a row, beating Wake Forest 90-84!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitt

Default Pitt

Hate to use the term "must win" with this team but Pitt is 0-7 in conference play and has not been within double digits of any ACC team at home or away. There will not be a better opp for a ACC road win the rest of the season. Got to get this one.

ItĒs hard for me to term any ACC road game as must win, simply because I donít care what an ACC teamís record is, they have talent on the roster!

But, for the Pack to earn the 20 wins that are likely need for the Big Dance, this is one they need to get.

Ken

Pack, a 10 point favorite, finds themselves down by 10 near halftime.

Abu has zero points, zero rebounds, and two fouls. Why am I not surprised ?

Shooting 26% from the floor for the half?? Not from behind the arc but the FLOOR!!! And down by 10 at the half to a 0-7 team that has not been remotely competitive in the ACC so far.

Whew. Pulled that one out. About the only thing that looked good on the stat sheet was our free throw shooting at 100%.

Grrrrrrr.....😡

Quote Originally Posted by Prowling Woofie View Post
    Grrrrrrr.....
    Really?

You're angry with victory?

What emoji would you have used if we had lost?

Here's the deal from my standpoint ... the Wolfpack pulled victory from the jaws of defeat, overcoming a ten minute scoring doldrum midway in the first half, and putting a late run on the Panthers with about five minutes remaining in the game to overcome a ten point deficit to win by four.

Yeah, Pitt's record coming into the game was 8-12 (0-7 ACC). You know what that means? I means they were 8-5 against everyone else!

All ACC teams have talent and pride, and tend to play well at home with the energy of the home crowd. No ACC win should to be treated with disdain in my view.

Ken

Watched the game on DVR after work.

State couldnít get anything to drop in the first half - Al Freeman was 1-9, Dorn was 1-7 (several of those were point-blank shots) - while everything Pitt threw at the rim went in. It wasnít like State was taking bad shots; the shots they normally make just werenít dropping !

Abu and Yurtseven both picked up two quick fouls, so neither played much in the first half. Significantly changed the game, as Stateís defense in the paint was non-existent.

Second half, the world righted itself, as State started hitting shots they normally hit, and Pitt started missing shots they usually miss. Stateís defense was much improved, and their pressure clearly impacted Pitt.

In summation, if the two teams played again, in exactly the same fashion, Iím guessing State would win by 25. The first half was an aberration for both teams, in opposite directions.

I humbly retract my angry face ! ☺️

This win was actually impressive to me for exactly the reasons PW just mentioned. Last year they would have quit, they did not. They put it together and got it done.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

I agree. The biggest thing about this win is that they didn't pack it in. The gutted it out and pulled it out in the end. It is never bad to have an experience you can look back that you had to fight through crap to come out ahead in the end.

Thread Information