Football season gears up in late August. Till then, enjoy the summer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith subpoena received by NC State

Default Smith subpoena received by NC State

The corrupt loan issued by agents to Dennis Smith is part of a federal criminal investigation against the agency behind the multiple payouts and loans. Dennis Smith represents the link between that investigation and NC State. The subpoena seeks all records of conversations and communications between Smith and his family with the coaching staff of Mark Gottfried and any member of the university's athletic department.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ennis-smith-jr

In a total shock for me, Cal-State Northridge just hired Gottfried to be their next head coach. After flaming out at Alabama and NC State, I really did not expect to see Gottfried given a third chance.

It is possible that Smith and the agency never informed anyone at NC State about this loan. However, if there are any discoveries of communication with officials at NC State, then the university could be on the hook for sanctions. At minimum, it would appear that NC State used the services of a player who forfeited his amateur status by accepting this money, and therefore would likely vacate all wins with Smith on the roster.

Ken

"At minimum, it would appear that NC State used the services of a player who forfeited his amateur status by accepting this money, and therefore would likely vacate all wins with Smith on the roster."

Both of them?

WRAL reported that the court had advised NC State not to release the details of this subpoena. I thought it was an interesting contrast between this situation and the one over in Chapel Hill. Rather than being forced by the courts to provide information, which was then delayed, redacted, and delay some more, State provided all the details available even when the court said that it wasn't necessary or advisable.

I believe this is wise to show transparency and it prevents competing schools from negative recruiting against the Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    "At minimum, it would appear that NC State used the services of a player who forfeited his amateur status by accepting this money, and therefore would likely vacate all wins with Smith on the roster."

Both of them?
    Well, I did say "minimum!" LOL!!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    WRAL reported that the court had advised NC State not to release the details of this subpoena. I thought it was an interesting contrast between this situation and the one over in Chapel Hill. Rather than being forced by the courts to provide information, which was then delayed, redacted, and delay some more, State provided all the details available even when the court said that it wasn't necessary or advisable.

I believe this is wise to show transparency and it prevents competing schools from negative recruiting against the Pack.
    Indeed, nice to see, and I agree entirely with full cooperation with the federal investigation.

Ken

A second and parallel running investigation target is emerging, including now an Adidais executive who worked to funnel cash payments to several Kansas players, plus a previously unnamed former NC State player, whom is now confirmed to have been Dennis Smith. This after Smith himself confirmed he is that player.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...sketball-probe

Information indicates there was a plan to funnel $40,000 to Smith through a member of the NC State basketball coaching staff, but reports indicate that plan fell apart. This coincided with Smith’s timeline of backing away from his commitment to NC State, which of course was reversed again with his decision to sign and play his freshman year.

NC State is reported to be fully cooperating with federal investigators, plus also has contacted numerous coaches to determine if any had knowledge of this payment scheme. All coaches so far contacted have denied any such knowledge.

Ken

Only saving grace for us is that Gottfried and all his staff are gone. Hopefully will mitigate any damage done, if the NCAA gets involved.

I think it comes down to whether anyone on the staff (or players other than Smith) knew about this. There is an obligation to report. Spinning around in my cranium is the strong sense that it's just not worth recruiting these sort of players who regard college as a rental location.

I remember what the immortal Bobby Jones told a group of reporters regarding the future of golf. He told them that amateur was a derivative of the Latin word amor, which meant love. An amateur sportsman is one who plays the sport simply for the love of it. He added that "money will be the ruin of this sport."

Smith wanted some cherries on the side of his scholarship, and I don't suspect he will return to NC State to earn his degree. I'd rather see players like him go pro as early as possible. I just wonder how early that would become should there be no limits at all -- high school eligibility anyone?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post
    Only saving grace for us is that Gottfried and all his staff are gone. Hopefully will mitigate any damage done, if the NCAA gets involved.
    We are reporting and working with the NCAA fully on this. Not hiding anything from them. The feeling is we will likely have to vacate the wins from DSJ's season, but nothing much more than that. But with the NCAA, who knows.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    I think it comes down to whether anyone on the staff (or players other than Smith) knew about this. There is an obligation to report. Spinning around in my cranium is the strong sense that it's just not worth recruiting these sort of players who regard college as a rental location.

I remember what the immortal Bobby Jones told a group of reporters regarding the future of golf. He told them that amateur was a derivative of the Latin word amor, which meant love. An amateur sportsman is one who plays the sport simply for the love of it. He added that "money will be the ruin of this sport."

Smith wanted some cherries on the side of his scholarship, and I don't suspect he will return to NC State to earn his degree. I'd rather see players like him go pro as early as possible. I just wonder how early that would become should there be no limits at all -- high school eligibility anyone?

Ken
    How early is a really good question. We kind of assume, as a default, the NBA won't go after kids until they graduate high school, but we also assumed they wouldn't be in a rush to draft out of high school. I mean they did this 40+ years ago with Moses Malone and Darryl Dawkins, but then cooled their heels on it because they found the high school kids weren't NBA ready and let them mature in college.

But 20+ years ago Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant jumped from high school, turned into Hall of Famers, and the NBA decided they didn't want to miss out on the next KG or Kobe, so they aggressively started drafting out of high school. The one-and-done rule is a brake on the NBA drafting process, to force GM's to not grab kids out of high school, as much as anything else.

So, if there is no age limit, and a team drafts a 16 year old, who turns into a super star, will that cause other teams to start drafting younger than high school graduates? I don't know, but I think that's a real possibility.

Thread Information