Football season gears up in late August. Till then, enjoy the summer!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yertseven

Default Yertseven

I have heard that Keatts will meet with Omer today to discuss Omer's futue plans. An announcement could come later today, but I would expect it to come out over the next day or so.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

For us this is a deal where no news is good news meaning Yert will test the waters and wait to make his decision. Any announcement in the next couple of days I bet will mean Yert is hiring an agent and is 100% in the draft. I believe Keatts will advise Yert on what is best for Yert. I have seen him a 27 on 1 mock draft going to the Celtics and 28 on another going to Brooklyn. I have seen a couple where he does not make the 1rst round. I cannot speculate in what is best for Yert. He is on the borderline where there could possibly be a lot of money. No guarantee that he will improve his position coming back. He certainly needs work on defense but his skill set and potential could possibly be a million dollar plus payout. Would love to see him back next season but I hope he does what is best for him whatever that means and I feel Keatts will unselfishly provide him great advice.

In all truth, if you are not a lottery pick, the odds of you cracking an NBA roster in your first year is much below 50%. An increasing number of NBA teams do not carry a rookie from the amateur draft on its roster. The turnover now in the NBA is quite low and more players are signed to short term or long term NBA contracts out of any of the Euro leagues or the D-League as are signed out of the draft.

The teams that select in the bottom quarter of the first round are generally the playoff teams, which means their rosters are well stacked. For these teams, the draft is nothing more than an exercise to stock your development talent.

What it therefore comes down to is three options:

1. Lottery pick -- no brainer, go pro and hire the agent.
    2. Low first round pick -- difficult choice based primarily on what avenue a player thinks best prepares him to crack an NBA roster (college or lower level professional ranks).
    3. Outside the first round -- best to return to school based upon the known history of players who take this route and forego their last years of college eligibility.

I studied this last year and learned that many years less than half of NBA teams carry a true rookie on their roster. There are only 30 NBA teams. So, if year-to-year only 15-10 carry a true rookie on their roster in a given season, it means there are thousands of elite international players competing for one of those coveted roster positions open to the world! Most teams waive their second round picks by the end of the first season they drafted the player, and most teams put their first round picks in a development program.

In terms of development in college, what I saw from Yertseven this year was nothing short of an epiphany. This tells me that he benefited tremendously from the Keatts coaching staff for his development. If one additional year could yield a similar level of development in his senior year, then he could put himself into the lottery grouping for 2019.

That's my take!

Ken

At this point Yertseven is likely a first round pick (not lottery) but would be a "draft and stash" meaning a team would draft him, send him to Europe for a few years for development and then bring him back. If I understand it correctly the NBA team would maintain the rights to Yertseven while overseas for a period of years before having to bring him back or give up the rights to him.

So the question is, does Yertseven want to play pro ball and get paid or come back to college on more year and improve his draft stock? We know he does value education so it would not surprise me with whatever he decision he makes.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Yertseven has been granted a full release by State to either peruse a professional career or transfer.

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    Yertseven has been granted a full release by State to either peruse a professional career or transfer.
    That's an unanticipated outcome!

I figured either go pro or remain for his senior season. I did not think transfer was on table from either party.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    That's an unanticipated outcome!

I figured either go pro or remain for his senior season. I did not think transfer was on table from either party.

Ken
    Yertseven is a sophomore currently, I am trying to get the details as best I can from the conversation.

Coach Avent

Copy, that only adds to the surprise in all this.

Ken

Yea I don't understand the transfer being on the table. In other words if he decides to not hire and agent an enter the draft he would transfer to another school and sit out all of the 2018-2019 season? Does not make much sense for someone who is a potential 1rst rounder this season to sit out next season.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Yea I don't understand the transfer being on the table. In other words if he decides to not hire and agent an enter the draft he would transfer to another school and sit out all of the 2018-2019 season? Does not make much sense for someone who is a potential 1rst rounder this season to sit out next season.
    The NCAA has a rule on the table that is about to get voted on that if you have a 3.0 or higher you can transfer without sitting. It is expected to pass.

What I did hear, Keatts was blindsided by the transfer option but going pro was not a surprise as we all know. Apparently Yertseven, his family, and advisers, felt that getting 23 min per game was not enough. I did hear that if the rule change does not pass transferring would not be an option because he is unwilling to sit a year.

Currently we are at 12 Scholarships:

Guard: Dorn, Bryce, Johnson, Daniels, Beverly, Batts, Harris

Wing: Funderburk, Hellems, Bey

Forward/ Center: Steere, Bates

State may look at transfers and JuCo players to get some experience at the forward/center position since both players are freshman.

Coach Avent

Thread Information