#2 NC State beats #3 Duke on the road in games one and two to clinch series, and can go for the sweep Sunday! Go Pack!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yertseven

I was disappointed by this. I think that Yurt7 showed at the end of the season that he needs to develop more strength and willingness to play a physical style of basketball. That coupled with the great strides that he made this year would put in position to be a lottery pick next summer. I don't think there is a better place for him to do that than here. However, that no longer appears to be an option.

I think sitting out a year would hurt him, so hopefully the rule change that Derreck mentioned goes through. Jumping into the G league or Europe grind makes it difficult to secure that big contract that only seems to be available to the lottery guys.

I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    I was disappointed by this. I think that Yurt7 showed at the end of the season that he needs to develop more strength and willingness to play a physical style of basketball. That coupled with the great strides that he made this year would put in position to be a lottery pick next summer. I don't think there is a better place for him to do that than here. However, that no longer appears to be an option.

I think sitting out a year would hurt him, so hopefully the rule change that Derreck mentioned goes through. Jumping into the G league or Europe grind makes it difficult to secure that big contract that only seems to be available to the lottery guys.

I wish him the best.
    From all information, Yert was the one who presented the "transfer or go pro" options to Keatts. I really think Keatts would have done all possible to work to get Yert a best possible draft stock feedback and present it to him. The issue of playing time had to have been a shock to Keatts because it was abundantly clear that in games where Yert was not in foul trouble, he played a lot. This actually meant a sharp reduction in the playing time for Lennard Freeman over what most people expected would be the case, but I never heard a peep of protest from Freeman.

There is just this obsessive notion that of the ten odd truly open draft slots to crack an NBA roster each year, thousands of kids are somehow convinced that they are one of those lucky few. This is primarily due to agents, who have long ago calculated that they can make more money negotiating thirty professional contracts at any level than mentoring a truly elite lottery pick type player. Financially, this is true, but the real effect is that thousands of kids every year forego college eligibility and have an agent negotiate a middling contract that gives them a year or two in the D-League or a Euro league. After that, the player's career ends, he might have tens of thousands of dollars in a bank account, and likely no degree with which to earn a lifetime of meaningful employment.

Meanwhile, the agent just rounds up the next batch of clients to restart the string.

The agent makes the long term big money.

Ken

Yert will be given a guaranteed contract even as a 2nd round pick (I still think he goes round one) because he has Europe as an option. Guaranteed money in the 2nd round is becoming more and more popular for teams to sign players. I think that Yert will be a draft and stash, meaning he will be drafted for his rights and the team that takes him will send him to Europe to develop for a few years.

And Ken is correct, Yert could have come back if he wanted, this decision came from Yert and his "camp."
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was Coach Keatts decision. I just think it's not the best decision for him. He has the skills, but I think he needs to get stronger and tougher. I believe we have a good S & C program that could get him ready for the next level. With a year of proving it on the court in the toughest conference in college basketball I think he could have put himself in the running for a lottery pick. All speculation and water under the bridge at this point.

Yertseven has signed scholarship papers with the Georgetown.

As I understand it, he will be still going through the draft process and not hire an agent, but if that does not work out he will be transferring to Georgetown.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

And for reasons that continue to make zero sense!

Ken

I saw one quote from him that said essentially while he appreciated Keatts and staff he needed a "big man coach" to get his game to where it needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    I saw one quote from him that said essentially while he appreciated Keatts and staff he needed a "big man coach" to get his game to where it needed to be.

Unfortunately, Yertseven's adviser is who the family is listening too right now.

Coach Avent

I would really like to know who that adviser is. Because Yertseven cited the belief that he wanted a better coach to develop big men and he thought Patrick Ewing would be that coach.

Well, Ewing is a hall of fame player, but not a hall of fame coach at any level.

In looking at his resume, Ewing was an assistant coach for the Houston Rockets, then the Orlando Magic, and then finally the Charlotte Bobcats. During that time, I don't recall reading a lot of press about his being instrumental in developing big man play in the NBA. He was hired as a head coach for the first time at his alma mater Georgetown in April 2017 and coached the Hoyas to a 15-15 record (5-13 Big East). Two of his players made the conference all-rookie team, but one was a small forward and the other a two guard.

Yertseven was the lone Wolfpack players named to the All-ACC team, and as a center.

So, when I read his comments from the ESPN article, my BS light illuminated. Ewing was an outstanding pro player, but his coaching resume is severely limited.

Yao Ming was drafted by the Rockets in 2002 and struggled his rookie season. His second season in 2003 was much better, but the credit for that goes to the hire of Jeff Van Gundy, who focused on Ming as the offensive focus. I have never read anywhere where Ewing was considered instrument to Ming's development as a center. The same can be said for the Magic. By the time he was hired there for the 2007 season, Dwight Howard was already a proven All Star and was playing his fourth season with the Magic (drafted in 2004). Brian Hill is the coach credited for Howard's breakout season in the 2005-06 season, where he worked with Howard on a conditioning program that turned him into the physical force he became known for.

Ewing left the Magic in 2013 to go to the Bobcats and the Bobcats was one of the worst teams in NBA history while he was an assistant coach for them, and even after in 2014 they became the Hornets again. Veteran big man Al Jefferson didn't need any coaching, as he was already one of the finest pure centers in the NBA, and was the only bright spot on the roster. Cody Zeller languished and Bismack Biyombo was widely considered a draft bust, who ironically went to Orlando and experienced a slight improvement as a player there.

Ewing certainly tells the world that he groomed Yao Ming and Dwight Howard, but I have not read where either player says that was the case. And, I have read where Howard speaks glowingly of the development he achieved with Brian Hill, and where Yao Ming credits Jeff Van Gundy.

But, its his life, and I appreciate what Yertseven achieved for NC State and wish him all the best.

Ken

IMO its an excuse for him to leave the Pack. Yertseven plays soft. His time on the court (which was one of the issues) was minimized because of his soft play in the post. Even in the games where he was not in foul trouble, his PT was not much more than the games here he was in FT.
    Last edited by Derreck; 19th April 2018 at 11:43.

Coach Avent

Thread Information