NC State survives six turnovers to beat Boston College 28-23. The Pack has a bye week to ready for the road game at Clemson.

Thread: Lavar Batts to Transfer

Default Lavar Batts to Transfer

Batts has decided to transfer. Not surprising as he has been mentioned as a possible transfer since before the season ended. Just a little surprised he waited this late to announce it.

My comments are not directed to Lavar Batts so much as to the general negative trends in college athletics, particularly men's basketball.

Transfers are already at epic levels and there are people in the NCAA who truly want to see the scholarship mean nothing long term, and instead turn college athletics into a one-year, year-by-year, convention. As Condi Rice well said, we have to get the college back into college basketball. One's first and foremost consideration in signing an LOI needs to be the school and the degree of intended study. Just because this notion gets openly laughed at now doesn't diminish one bit it's core truth. The vast majority of the now unacceptable trends that now openly threaten the college athletics landscape are rooted in the wholesale abandonment of this core truth -- the academics come first and the athletics come second!

If academics are returned to preeminent value, then the idea of a full ride scholarship is restored as a treasured opportunity, which it really is. The idea that an athletically gifted young person can earn a meaningful college degree with hardly any expenses paid by his family, remains to most folks a princely prize. Only those truly rare exceptions who actually go on to play professional sports long term, plus sadly the vastly higher number of deluded dreamers, have become jaded to the value of the academic scholarship. But, their voices seem to be the only ones the mass media care to consider!

In my lifetime, and really only in the last thirty years, the full ride scholarship has gone from treasured opportunity, to some ludicrous notion of indentured servitude. Just read the pathetic and delusional remarks of a recently turned-pro Duke basketball player's mom!

My solution to this mess is simple, and would work. Anyone who doesn't value academics over athletics, thanks but no thanks -- we don't want you! Go turn semi-pro, and see how far you can go in life on a high school education!

Harsh, but truth!

Ken

I agree with everything you said Ken and appreciate your comments were not directed at Batts. Of course at this level being the ACC most rosters are made up of kids who were great and highly ranked in high school and only desire to attend college is to prepare to be drafted in the NBA and I agree with your assessment of how to fix the problem. I do believe there are kids who just want to play college ball and that has been their dream and all that they have worked for since they were kids. They believe education is important and being able to participate in the sport you love and have that education paid for is a huge bonus. With that said they do want to play. I believe Batts saw the writing on the wall with him sitting the bench and watching Johnson and Beverly most of the season. Now add Blake Harris, another very talented and extremely athletic point guard that Batts had to practice with this past semester and I am sure he saw his potential playing time for next season even worse than this past. The kid just wants to play ball and by all indications is a good student. He can get his degree and play a lot more basketball else where. This transfer does not bother me much. What transfer does bother me?????? A 5 star big man who transfers because he wants to be developed by someone who can develop big men. He chose a school with a head coach who has been a coach for only one season who finished that season at barely .500 and has no tract record of developing any player let alone developing a post player. Yes the coach was a very successful "big man" in college and in the NBA but there is no proof that this coach could teach a squirrel to eat a nut but he left anyway. That bothers me!!!!!!

Bobby Jones the great golfer kept getting asked by reporters why he would not turn pro. Finally, I guess in exasperation more than anything, he took one scribe to task a bit by saying to him words to the effect of, "the word amateur derives from the Latin word "amare" means "to love." His point continued that he plays golf because he loves the sport, and that money would be the ruin of golf.

The movie, "Stroke of Genuis" related this encounter, which the Atlanta Journal editor O.B. Keeler put in his authorized but postmortem Jones' biography.

This is what we have lost, and we are all the poorer for it. There are things in life far more valuable than money, and we have allowed crass people who don't comprehend this to dominate the discussion, and having abandoned the stage to them, they are destroying college basketball in particular and risking the destruction of college sports in general.

There is never going to be the special relationship between college athletes and the school they played for within the professional ranks. The joy of youth to storm the court and the players interacting with it -- that's the special spark of college sports folks! And we have people who lawyered up wanting to ban that practice, and even criticized one student wheeling out someone in a wheelchair onto the NC State court years back, when the kids, including the one in the wheelchair were having the time of their young lives!

I mean what the hell has happened to us! When did we collectively lose the meaning of life here!

Ken

Thread Information