#9 NC State dropped both of their games in pool play in the ACC Tournament to get an early heave ho!

Thread: Basketball Update

Default Basketball Update

OK, I have been really busy at work recently and there has been a lot of moving and shaking with basketball. I am going to try my best to sum up the last few days.

We had one scholarship left and we were in heavy pursuit of Kentucky forward transfer Sacha Killeya-Jones. Then out of the blue we get a commit from FIU wing transfer Erik Lockett. No one knew about our pursuit of Lockett and it kind of turn things upside down scholarship wise if SKJ wanted to come and we are depth heavy at wing already and we need post players. So obviously something was up. Anyway, I found out earlier today and its starting to leak out that wing Saddiq Bey will not enroll at State.

From what I gather Bey used the NCAA thing as an excuse but sources to the program stated that Bey was actually concerned about the depth we had at wing and did not want to compete for PT.

And today SJK has committed to the Pack as well so we are back to having all 13 scholarships filled. Next years roster will be vastly different and you might want to purchase a program when you attend games. LOL. SJK will sit out next year and have 2 years left. Lockett is a grad transfer with one year left.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Wow. SKJ is a huge pick up. So if I have this right after the 3 transfers out Yert, Batt's and Hicks, and the 3 recent transfers in Walker, Lockett, and SKJ the 2013 roster will be:

Post: Bates, Steer, Walker, Funderburk, (Killeya-Jones red shirt for 18/19)
    Wings: Dorn, Daniels, Hellems, Lockett
    Guards: Johnson, Beverly, Bryce, Harris

Only 3 players (Dorn, Johnson, Beverly) who saw action last season so I can see Keatt's reasoning for another one and done transfer in Lockett. Fortunately Daniels, Bryce, and Harris practiced with the team last season and should fit right in the system. Walker and Funderburk also come with a lot of college playing experience. It will be interesting to see who will start and what the rotation will be. Obviously 3 and maybe 4 scholarship players will see limited playing time by the time ACC play starts depending on how deep Keatts goes with his rotation each game. The biggest question mark to me will be the post. Although he is 6-9 Funderburk is not a true physical post. It takes young "bigs" longer to develop so Walker may be the key inside initially. Plenty of talent to have a good season but just have to wait to see how the parts fit.

Killeya-Jones is a huge pick up, just huge! He will have to sit out a year, but his talent is five-star level. When he played for Kentucky, he contributed big time. So, of all the developments this off season, this is a definite highlight!

Ken

Remember that Harris won't be available until after the first semester.

I hope this doesn't come across as bashing a kid who decided to play elsewhere, but I was never really impressed with Bey's athleticism. At best he reminded me of an Ernie Myers type of player (no offense Ernie). With Devon Daniels and CJ Bryce plus the new guys I can understand his concern with seeing the court. I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    Remember that Harris won't be available until after the first semester.

I hope this doesn't come across as bashing a kid who decided to play elsewhere, but I was never really impressed with Bey's athleticism. At best he reminded me of an Ernie Myers type of player (no offense Ernie). With Devon Daniels and CJ Bryce plus the new guys I can understand his concern with seeing the court. I wish him the best.
    Man I would take a Ernie Myers type of player. When I coached little league football years ago I kid you not I would use Ernie Myers as an example of how to find your role on a team (my son who will graduate this December from NC State with an engineering degree would verify this) and especially when I was deciding on who would start.

Ernie is best remembered for filling the role during the 1983 season when Whit went out with his injury. We needed to fill the scoring void and Ernie stepped up and led the team in scoring with averaging almost 18 points a game during the time Whit was out. Most people don't remember Ernie even playing in the championship game but a did, a little less than a minute and he made the box score grabbing a rebound. Back then V went with basically a 6 man rotation and Gannon was that 6th man during the championship run.

The reason I said I would take a Ernie Meyers type of player is because there are way to few of them now. You said "no offense to Ernie" and I really believe you meant that but he had a lot of athleticism. He was a 5 star recruit who played in the 1983 McDonalds All American game. Jim Valvano brought a ton of elite talent to NC State and especially while Ernie was there. These days a 5 star MD All American who only started during the absence of the teams leading scorer and then relegated to very minimal minutes when the started came back would transfer as soon as the final whistle blew on the season if not before. Ernie stayed with the Pack and in 4 seasons made the National Championship game as a freshman and made 2 elite 8
    appearances as a Jr and Sr.

This coming season we will have 12 scholarship players competing for playing time. At least a few of them will not get a lot of playing time this upcoming season. Wouldn't it be nice to see the incoming freshman (Bates, Steere, Kellems) who may not see a lot of PT this season with all the transfers with experience, some who have been practicing with the team since last season, but will buy into their roles and contribute and see their playing time increase each year as their role increases. I believe that is the type program Keatts is trying to build. I believe Tony Bennett at UVA has that now. Villanova always has that under Jay Wright. He always has "old" players. They win Championships despite the way the landscape of college basketball has progressed with "one and done" players. I am kind of glad our "one and done" players so far under Keatts has been graduate transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Man I would take a Ernie Myers type of player. When I coached little league football years ago I kid you not I would use Ernie Myers as an example of how to find your role on a team (my son who will graduate this December from NC State with an engineering degree would verify this) and especially when I was deciding on who would start.

Ernie is best remembered for filling the role during the 1983 season when Whit went out with his injury. We needed to fill the scoring void and Ernie stepped up and led the team in scoring with averaging almost 18 points a game during the time Whit was out. Most people don't remember Ernie even playing in the championship game but a did, a little less than a minute and he made the box score grabbing a rebound. Back then V went with basically a 6 man rotation and Gannon was that 6th man during the championship run.

The reason I said I would take a Ernie Meyers type of player is because there are way to few of them now. You said "no offense to Ernie" and I really believe you meant that but he had a lot of athleticism. He was a 5 star recruit who played in the 1983 McDonalds All American game. Jim Valvano brought a ton of elite talent to NC State and especially while Ernie was there. These days a 5 star MD All American who only started during the absence of the teams leading scorer and then relegated to very minimal minutes when the started came back would transfer as soon as the final whistle blew on the season if not before. Ernie stayed with the Pack and in 4 seasons made the National Championship game as a freshman and made 2 elite 8
    appearances as a Jr and Sr.

This coming season we will have 12 scholarship players competing for playing time. At least a few of them will not get a lot of playing time this upcoming season. Wouldn't it be nice to see the incoming freshman (Bates, Steere, Kellems) who may not see a lot of PT this season with all the transfers with experience, some who have been practicing with the team since last season, but will buy into their roles and contribute and see their playing time increase each year as their role increases. I believe that is the type program Keatts is trying to build. I believe Tony Bennett at UVA has that now. Villanova always has that under Jay Wright. He always has "old" players. They win Championships despite the way the landscape of college basketball has progressed with "one and done" players. I am kind of glad our "one and done" players so far under Keatts has been graduate transfers.
    Can I get an AMEN from the congregation!!

Ken

Don't get me wrong, I love Ernie. He did indeed help shore up the team during the loss of Whit in the middle of the '83 season. As a freshman he did not shrink from stepping into those big shoes. Ernie was a crafty scorer, not one that would overwhelm you with athleticism. It amazed me that he could be such an effective scorer when he played so flat footed most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love Ernie. He did indeed help shore up the team during the loss of Whit in the middle of the '83 season. As a freshman he did not shrink from stepping into those big shoes. Ernie was a crafty scorer, not one that would overwhelm you with athleticism. It amazed me that he could be such an effective scorer when he played so flat footed most of the time.
    There was nothing at all wrong with what you wrote, not now, not ever.

I just think ultimately, Ernie's career was a bit overshadowed by the extreme elite talent level in the ACC at that time. In hindsight, though at the time we did not fully appreciate it, the talent on those ACC teams back then during the 1980's represented a high point in college basketball. A lot of that reality was rooted in the desire of these men to play for the same team their entire careers, and accept their roles for the good of the team. I mean at the time, there was actually a great deal of doubt as to whether Michael Jordan would return for his senior season! It was newsworthy that he turned pro AFTER his junior season!

I don't think we're ever going to see an era like that again. Kids today are raised to believe in their individual supremacy and imbued with an almost limitless sense that any failure is someone else's fault and all glory belongs to them entirely! So, the transfer option is on full bore now, and so everyone is chasing minutes on the court.

When Ernie got his starting opportunity, he played great.

Ken

Thread Information