http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...ting-wife.html

Erik Kramer was a transfer who played two high-quality seasons for NC State. He was a centerpiece of the resurgence that the team enjoyed under then new head coach Dick Sheridan.

Kramer led NC State to an 8-3-1 record, a tremendous turnaround from the last year under Tom Reed's regime. That senior season of Kramer's culminated in the 1986 Peach Bowl, which the Wolfpack lost by a single point under controversial circumstances. Kramer went to the CFL initially, but also enjoyed a long career in the NFL.

Kramer's life after professional football seemed serene and just as successful as his collegiate and professional careers. His ex-wife, Marshawn Kramer, speaks in stark terms for what football concussions have done to Kramer once he reached 45 plus years of age. She says, "He was an amazing man, a beautiful soul, but he has suffered depression since he was with the Bears. I can promise you he is not the same man I married." They wed in 1985 during Kramer's first season with NC State, and were high school sweethearts. They remained married until 2010.

Another tragedy befell the Kramers when their son Griffen died in 2011 from a heroin overdose, for which four teens were charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Marshawn reported to police injuries she received when Erik attacked her. Kramer's suicide attempt came this last Wednesday, months after he was charged with domestic assault and battery. In conclusion on her association with head trauma suffered in NFL play, she also says, "I know Erik and I would still be together if not for his football injury. He's such a good dad and he would not do this to his son (attempted suicide). This is brain injury."

It is a very sad situation. The lone bright spot is that police report that the gunshot wounds are not life-threatening. But, Kramer's sister reports that the injuries are more serious than police are reporting and that Kramer remains in a medically induced coma.

Ken