#8 NC State women improves to 17-0 with a win at Virginia, 66-38!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @ Syracuse

Default @ Syracuse

Syracuse is always a tough team in the Carrier Dome. But, last week, the Heels coughed up a big lead late and lost in double overtime. So, the Cuse are on a hot streak.

We need to honestly address the miscues that have plagued our offense in the last two games. We barely beat Boston College at home and Clemson showed the team what an elite squad will do with such self-inflicted damage. The good news is that we just have to stop hurting ourselves and get back to the kind of offense we have been.

Ken

Oh great! My least favorite TV announcer is doing this game. Beth Mowins and her grating squeaky voice! Worse, she's the number one PC hire choice by ESPN as she started in women's college basketball, and has practically zero experience in football.

Ken

I'm so angry right now one could fry a match on my forehead!

The defense was totally inept tonight, and just because Syracuse's defense was almost equally inept, it doesn't make the situation any better. Our secondary simply put failed throughout the game. Hard to pick the most egregious example, but the third and 25 in the third quarter, converted on a Syracuse crossing route over the middle, might stand out.

Beyond just the defense, our situation at right tackle was equally suspect with an injury forcing a reserve to make the start. In a crucial late possession on third down, he must have confused the snap count or lost track of where the count was, because he remained in his down stance for a full second after the snap and allowed the Syracuse left DE to make an unimpeded dash to Finley. Finley forced the football and it was intercepted. This resulted in a Syracuse touchdown to pretty much seal the game.

Three weeks ago, this team was riding high, and now, they better get their act together and get back on the winning track!

Ken

We do not seem to be turning whatever corner we were hoping to turn this season. I think we will make a bowl game, but I doubt it will be significantly better than the other bowl games we have played in the past.

Well it was nice to be ranked for a couple of weeks. Finley has a record setting performance at 473 yards but our secondary gave up 480 yards passing. A lot of key players did not play tonight due to injuries from the Clemson game. Offense responded well from the dismal performance against Clemson. Knew the rushing yards would be down without Person but we had over 500 total yards. Defense still proved we can stop the run allowing only 81 yards rushing but GOD our secondary got torched again. Don't know if we have the talent in the secondary to stop the bleeding. Gonna have to win some track meets going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Oh great! My least favorite TV announcer is doing this game. Beth Mowins and her grating squeaky voice! Worse, she's the number one PC hire choice by ESPN as she started in women's college basketball, and has practically zero experience in football.

Ken
    Both announcers were awful. Becht gave no insight into anything. And they just kept on and on about yardage.

Really nothing about this game that makes me happy.

The defensive staff needs to be fired on the way back from the game. No excuse for that $&!? show in Syracuse tonite.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sparks View Post
    The defensive staff needs to be fired on the way back from the game. No excuse for that $&!? show in Syracuse tonite.
    Don't know about the whole staff. We are still ranked #9 in the Nation in rushing defense and only allowed 81 yards on the ground tonight. I believe we have a huge lack of talent in our secondary right now. As far as our front 7, they are great at stopping the run but they are nowhere near where we were last year as far as pressuring the QB which puts added pressure on a young secondary that obviously needs a ton of development. The past 2 weeks they have been torched by quality QBs. I don't think the best defensive back coaches in college football can improve what we have to work with right now. Like I mentioned above I believe Finley and our offense will have to out score opponents offenses going forward to make a quality bowl. I believe a healthy Person will help a lot by running the ball and eating clock and keeping opponents offenses off the field. It is what it is. Our defensive secondary is very bad right now. From what I have observed I don't think it is a fixable problem during the 2018 football season.

The deterioration of our secondary has me VERY concerned. We've been exposed, and there isn't a team left on our schedule with a passing game worse than the one Syracuse had. And if Syracuse can torch us to that extent, then LSmith's verdict and prediction is correct. The only chance we have to win now is to score 45 to 55 points a game, and that's way too much to expect from any offense.

As goofy as it sounds, if we really think that's our lot in life, then I would advocate that after we score, we onsides kick every single time! I mean, what difference would the extra 20-30 yards have made in the course of our defense's performance had we done that throughout the second half of the Syracuse game!

And the sad thing is I'm not really sure just how good our linebackers and DL are against the run, because with teams able to throw the ball with reckless abandon, what incentive do they have to even run a lot! Our last two games have shown the winning formula is to literally send your receivers on go routes and pick the most open guy to chuck it to!

Ken

Its amazing how different people can see different things.

I see a team that got down 24-7 early and could have quit and instead rallied to make it a game. This was a toss up game from the beginning of the season, Cuse is a very good team. I think we can win out personally.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Thread Information