NC State women's soccer beat Northwestern 1-0 in round one of the NCAA Tournament, earning the 50th victory for head coach Tim Santoro! Men's and Women's Cross Country teams both win the NCAA Southeast Regionals!

Thread: Pre-season All ACC

Default Pre-season All ACC

Media shows no love for the Pack with not a single player on either the 1rst of 2nd team. IMO a huge slap in the face to Markell who not just led but blew away the rest of the conference in assist last season and finished top 3 in the Nation. I hope this puts a huge chip on his shoulder.

Honestly, I don't think we have a player at that level. The best hope for NC State is that the sum of our players exceeds the individual talent each one has. Torin Dorn may well be the closest player on the current roster with professional skills. The rest of the current roster may well develop into those kind of elite NBA players. The ACC has several teams with rosters with one or two players who are likely lottery picks in the upcoming NBA draft.

What we should hope for is that Kevin Keatts can develop a veteran roster like Virginia, where the total of the team is the elite influence, vice the individuals on the roster.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Honestly, I don't think we have a player at that level. The best hope for NC State is that the sum of our players exceeds the individual talent each one has. Torin Dorn may well be the closest player on the current roster with professional skills. The rest of the current roster may well develop into those kind of elite NBA players. The ACC has several teams with rosters with one or two players who are likely lottery picks in the upcoming NBA draft.

What we should hope for is that Kevin Keatts can develop a veteran roster like Virginia, where the total of the team is the elite influence, vice the individuals on the roster.

Ken
    I agree with you on our talent level but I still feel the leagues returning assist leader deserves at least 2nd team not to mention all the other good things Markell did. Although he did not put up great numbers in scoring he shot the ball at a high percentage and scored when his team needed him.

Yeah, I'm sure some might read my comments and think I'm insulting the players, but that's not the case at all. The skill set required to crack an NBA roster is truly extraordinary. The world now plays basketball on an organized level. Think about Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The guy was a dominating single man player at Kentucky, and a lottery pick. Today, he's effectively a role player for the Charlotte Hornets!

Markell Johnson is a quality player, and precisely the kind of player who can develop his talent into a veteran leader of an ACC team that plays at an elite level without one single player the NBA will be interested in putting on its next year roster. Now, that may well be as much an indictment of the NBA as anything else. Kemba Walker was considered a controversial draft selection due to his supposed lack of size. But, for my money, I'd take him over John Wall any day! The character and heart to sell out for the team, and work relentlessly to improve, are skills that I don't think the NBA focuses on enough. But, those are precisely the intangibles that makes the difference between a team that struggles vice one that achieves extraordinary results.

Ken

Thread Information