NC State improves to 9-1 by defeating Penn State 89-78 in the Boardwalk Classic.

Thread: NCAA investigation cleared to start

Default NCAA investigation cleared to start

The NCAA was in a holding pattern awaiting the outcome of the federal trial. The feds have now given the NCAA the green light to proceed with those investigations.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...orruption-case

In addition to NC State, the investigations will likely include:

Arizona
    Creighton
    Kansas,
    Louisville
    LSU
    Oklahoma State
    Oregon
    Alabama
    Cincinnati
    Kentucky
    Miami
    Mississippi State
    USC
    Xavier
    Clemson

These are just the programs identified in convicted felon Christopher Dawkins' email, which identified specific illegal payment plans. Others convicted on felony wire fraud are Adidas executive James Gatto and a former Adidas consultant Merl Code. Other schools not immediately identified in the trial are also said to be included. As the article indicates, there may well be over three dozen schools investigated. By the widest margin imaginable, this is the largest single NCAA scandal ever.

More ominous is that the feds are still pursuing criminal charges against other defendants, and therefore the number of schools involved isn't known yet by the NCAA.

Of course, the issue immediately affecting NC State is a $40,000 payment plan to the family of Dennis Smith, which according to some materials introduced in the trial linked former NC State assistant coach Orlando Early to the payment scheme. Beyond the payment are also allegations regarding unauthorized recruiting trips by both Mark Gottfried and Orlando Early, plus the use of a helicopter to support that recruiting trip. The latest information, not included in the linked article, also implicates former NC State football player Eric Leak, who was an "agent runner," and had previously been disassociated from NC State.

That additional information is contained in this News & Observer article:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...219762275.html

This article shows a significant deviation in normal coordination between Gottfried and NC State compliance officer Carrie Doyle.

Ken

The question for me is not whether or why Dennis Smith's father was paid. He was a AAU coach who's team was sponsored by Adidas. Of course he was. My question is why in the HELL would Orlando Early be involved in distributing that money??? Shoe company sponsors funnel millions through AAU programs every year and the families of athletes are paid like it or not. Marvin Bagley's family bought them selves out of bankruptcy using such funds. Duke was in no way involved in that wink wink. There is no reason for Early to be involved in such transaction because it happens anyway and if he was he should go to jail. I mean think about it. Early says "Dennis, I am going to personally hand your Dad the 40k cash from Adidas that your Dad would get anyway if you play for NC State. Stupid!!!! And the NCAA will hammer us if Early's hands was involved in distributing that filthy cash. They do not have a history of forgiving that sort of thing regardless how the schools athletic department cooperates and fires the whole staff. Stupid!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    The question for me is not whether or why Dennis Smith's father was paid. He was a AAU coach who's team was sponsored by Adidas. Of course he was. My question is why in the HELL would Orlando Early be involved in distributing that money??? Shoe company sponsors funnel millions through AAU programs every year and the families of athletes are paid like it or not. Marvin Bagley's family bought them selves out of bankruptcy using such funds. Duke was in no way involved in that wink wink. There is no reason for Early to be involved in such transaction because it happens anyway and if he was he should go to jail. I mean think about it. Early says "Dennis, I am going to personally hand your Dad the 40k cash from Adidas that your Dad would get anyway if you play for NC State. Stupid!!!! And the NCAA will hammer us if Early's hands was involved in distributing that filthy cash. They do not have a history of forgiving that sort of thing regardless how the schools athletic department cooperates and fires the whole staff. Stupid!!!
    Strong points. The AAU circuit is the real culpable agent in all this, along with the apparel and agent money also.

The AAU has turned into a semi-pro league for teenagers. I don't think that's the sort of stuff our children should be involved in. These sort of summer leagues have become a corrupt influence peddling operation. State legislation that would require AAU coaches to be non-paid volunteers would eliminate the money racket, and stiff felony sentences for taking money payments would do the trick.

The irony of this is that I was a member of the AAU swimming sport in North Carolina, and my coach was the same Brooks Teal who eventually became the head swimming and diving coach at NC State. We weren't chased by agents and apparel companies and the thing is that AAU stands for Amateur Athletic Union. There is noting whatsoever amateur about coaches getting huge wads of money!

Ken

And I am not saying with my above post that it is ok as far as what is happening between shoe companies and AAU programs. That is why there is an FBI investigation. I am saying that there is nothing in this deal that could hurt us as far as Smith's family receiving money from Adidas through his AAU participation unless someone employed by NC State or a booster of NC State was directly involved. The shoe companies are more concerned about getting their return on their investments when the player is drafted by the NBA. Not where they play in college. There is no reason for Early to get his greasy hands in this transaction unless the money was coming from NC State or a booster.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    And I am not saying with my above post that it is ok as far as what is happening between shoe companies and AAU programs. That is why there is an FBI investigation. I am saying that there is nothing in this deal that could hurt us as far as Smith's family receiving money from Adidas through his AAU participation unless someone employed by NC State or a booster of NC State was directly involved. The shoe companies are more concerned about getting their return on their investments when the player is drafted by the NBA. Not where they play in college. There is no reason for Early to get his greasy hands in this transaction unless the money was coming from NC State or a booster.
    I'm not sure that's entirely correct. I think even if we did not know, playing an ineligible athlete would at least cause us to vacate wins and titles. Of course, the season that Smith played ended up the bitter swan song for Gottfried, and given what we are learning, that end isn't merely poetic justice, but in a real sense a logical fallout from abandoning so many good principles just to get one player for one season.

Again, I agree with your points regarding Early. Why would he be involved? But, the principles in the federal case are the ones who say he was. One reason would be that our coaching staff was working with our apparel company (Adidas) to gain control of that money to entice Smith to sign his LOI. I admit that I'm speculating, but we do know that there was a point in the recruiting of Smith that he became squishy on signing with NC State. Then, everything seemed to regain solidity.

What you are also entirely correct about is that if the reports of Early's involvement are true, then the sanctions against NC State become much more severe, and as is so often the case, the athletes and coaches who are punished are the ones who had nothing at all to do with the crime!

Perhaps the lesson here is the evils of selling your soul to the devil.

Ken

The thing to remember, that early on the FBI insulated that Early was involved. However, of all the coaches that were arrested, Early was not one. Also to add, during the actual trial, no evidence was put forth that Early was involved. In fact, I believe the bag man said he paid Smith's father directly. No mention of Early at all.

Hopefully, I believe we will have to vacate the wins from the DSJ season, and maybe be given the "probation" tag but that is all I expect. We have been up front and cooperative with the NCAA since this has come out. Also the fact that the coaching staff that DSJ played for is gone helps us.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post

Hopefully, I believe we will have to vacate the wins from the DSJ season,.....
    both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    both of them?
    You see, there was a silver lining in all this! LOL!!!

Ken

Thread Information