NC State improves to 9-1 by defeating Penn State 89-78 in the Boardwalk Classic.

Thread: Reynolds to be named for Jimmy V

Default Reynolds to be named for Jimmy V

https://gopack.com/news/2018/11/14/a...m-valvano.aspx

Naming Gift in Support of Iconic University Venue Creates James T. Valvano Arena at William Neal Reynolds Coliseum

Historic William Neal Reynolds Coliseum will now share its name with another icon of NC State Athletics, as former men's basketball head coach Jim Valvano will join Hall of Fame women's basketball coach Kay Yow in being recognized at the famed venue. At a ceremony on December 5 prior to NC State's Heritage Game, James. T. Valvano Arena will be formally dedicated to the legendary coach who guided the Wolfpack to the 1983 national championship.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Seems a little cumbersome to me: Kay Yow Court in James T. Valvano Arena at William Neal Reynolds Coliseum.

Don't get me wrong. I like the recognition of Coach V. To me it just seems to start resembling a VW covered in bumper stickers.

btw, get off my lawn..........

Humbug

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    Seems a little cumbersome to me: Kay Yow Court in James T. Valvano Arena at William Neal Reynolds Coliseum.

Don't get me wrong. I like the recognition of Coach V. To me it just seems to start resembling a VW covered in bumper stickers.
    Thatís actually what I was going to write. Personally, the ESA is literally the building that Valvano built, but by the time it was finished, folks started to realize there was huge money in corporate naming rights, and money talked over naming what is now our primary arena.

This was the best opportunity to answer a long overdue earned legacy for Valvano, and Iím thrilled that the university has belatedly done this.

Ken

They wanted to do something at PNC arena, but naming rights and such are difficult on a building that we dont own. So this was the best scenario that could be done logistically.
    Last edited by Derreck; 16th November 2018 at 14:44.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

That would have been the most appropriate venue. It's a larger stage and a more befitting honor.

Quote Originally Posted by D Wolf View Post
    That would have been the most appropriate venue. It's a larger stage and a more befitting honor.
    No doubt, but in the larger picture, Valvano's legacy is as much the financial windfall that the building has provided to both NC State and the entire state of North Carolina. So, in a real sense, the money income is something that Valvano would have supported going after. I see PNC Arena as Valvano's lasting legacy as athletic director. He championed for it. But, I know he coached every game of his career at Reynolds, and just as with Kay Yow, his heart remained there.

Ken

Tonight is the night,

The dedication ceremony for James T. Valvano Arena will be streamed live this evening prior to our game on Watch ESPN/ ACC Network at 7:00.

Coach Avent

Thread Information