NC State improves to 9-1 by defeating Penn State 89-78 in the Boardwalk Classic.

Thread: St. Peters 11/20

Default St. Peters 11/20

Pack continues it's tour of "I did not know they had a team" with St. Peters on 11/20.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Actually our 1rst opponent with a win over another D1 opponent (Lafayette). UNCA had a win over a NAIA opponent. Not knocking the schedule. November is a great time for a team with a lot of new faces to work the kinks out. Still plenty of opps before our conference play to get quality wins with #25 Wisconsin, #8 Auburn, Vandy and Penn State.

To be honest, LSmith, this non-conference schedule can be criticized. To quote Dick Vitale, it's got enough cupcakes on it to promote diabetes!

Now, with the transition we are making this year, this early schedule may well make strategic sense.

Personally, if Keatts takes this team to the Big Dance, then he's truly a master! Only a few of these players played together last season in game conditions, and that makes a huge difference. We needed a multitude of tune up games where different combinations could be tested out in a game type condition.

Ken

Pack wins 85-57 but got outscored 30-26 the 2nd half. The difference was the Pack had to play a lot more half court offense the 2nd half because St Peters took better care of the ball. Certainly a weakness exposed and something to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Pack wins 85-57 but got outscored 30-26 the 2nd half. The difference was the Pack had to play a lot more half court offense the 2nd half because St Peters took better care of the ball. Certainly a weakness exposed and something to work on.
    Half court is a problem. And I think better competition isn't going to get as flustered by the full court press as the cupcake buffet has been.

Also wonder how we are going to be able to handke P5 schools that have legit size and big men. Our bigs are very thin and will likely get pushed around.

For whatever reason we backed off the press in the 2nd half. When we did, we just seemed out of sync. Maybe Keatts was using this game as a chance to evaluate the half court better and wanted to see what bugs need to be worked out.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

With an over 30 point lead I think that's exactly what the deal was. Keatts used the second half to make evaluations on how the team executes other styles of play, with different personnel combinations.

Ken

Thread Information