NC State improves to 9-1 by defeating Penn State 89-78 in the Boardwalk Classic.

Thread: Mercer 11/24

Default Mercer 11/24

The last chance for a tuneup prior to Wisconsin.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Mercer will be the best team we have played so far this year. They beat MES by almost the same margin as we did. Not a team we should have trouble beating but not quite the cupcake that our other opponents have been so far.

Mercer went down by 22 at the 13 minute mark in the second half and we looked unstoppable. Then, we lost our mojo and went stone cold and Mercer went off. They have a guard that had everything he threw up go in. He became unstoppable the rest of the second half. Mercer got it down to two points near the end, but a couple of late free throws sealed it.

If Keatts wanted to see how his team would perform if things got close late, then he got his wish!

Pack wins 78-74, and I would say they had control of the game, in the sense of had we shot the ball even adequately, this would have remained a blowout.

Ken

Did not get to see this game but listened to it on the way back from the beach (which I endured a Noréaster with 50 plus mile per hour wind gust and several inches of sideways rain and satellite coverage of the State/holes football game in and out part of which I was glad for because it came back on as Gillepspy ran in the OT TD and the brawl broke out) but from what I gathered it sounded like when we got the 22 point lead Mercer went to a zone which obviously disrupted our offensive flow. To make matters worse we fouled about every defensive possession for the next 10 minutes putting them on the line with double bonus with 10 plus minutes left in the game. In all Mercer shot 34 free throws in our house and made about all the ones in that 10 minute stretch. There was a ref the announcers mentioned who made at least 90% of those foul calls during that stretch. His name is JAIMIE F_ING LUCKY. Like I said I did not actually see the game and Mr F_ing Lucky may have called the most accurate game of his life but damn...34 free throws in our house????

Like I mentioned in a post above. Mercer is the best team we have played so far this year. They are very well coached (Hoffman has over 600 wins), and Mercer is the most successful program in the state of Georgia as far as wins the past decade. Hoffman led Mercer in an upset of Duke as a 15th seed in the 1rst round of the dance 4 years ago. I knew they would present problems for us. We overcame. We obviously have a long ways to go and especially with half court O against zone but November is way to early to press the panic button.

Thread Information