NC State improves to 9-1 by defeating Penn State 89-78 in the Boardwalk Classic.

Thread: @ Wisconsin

Default @ Wisconsin

Well, the Pack now faces the stiff competition portion of their non-conference schedule. Hopefully, the tune up games (with Mercer being a nice transition) has allowed Keatts to figure out the optimal combinations. Wisconsin will show us where our team really is.

Game time is 27 Nov @ 21:00 eastern. Broadcast will be on ESPN2 as part of the ACC-Big 10 Challenge.

Go Pack!

Ken

Just angry after this game

The announcers were B1G Homerís and Pasch is a die hard Badgers dan and didnít bother to hide it

Plus the refs sucked. Called a very uneven game, though I guess this is good practice for facing the blues

Late in the game the two Big-10 officials served up some serious home cooking! Very questionable charging call on Markell Johnson at the 19 second mark, because it looked clear to me that the Wisconsin player stepped in front of Johnson as Johnson was going diagonally and never had his feet set. That is a rule book block, not a charge. But, the real outrage came shortly after on the phantom foul when the Pack had the Wisconsin player trapped. That was just brutally bad. The ESPN announcers completely ignored that call and acted like we intentionally fouled the Wisconsin player. Both announcers betrayed either an ignorance of the game, or a fundamental lack of objectivity. We had exactly what we wanted. The Wisconsin player was three seconds into a five second call and with his team out of time outs. It should have either forced him to make a desperation pass out, or get the turnover and we would have had the ball down two points with 5-6 seconds remaining in the game.

Keatts made it clear what he thought of that call when he waved his hand in disgust at the official and yelled out, "Bullsh*t!"

Considering the hostile environment, and how we handled everything and played this team to the wire, I say this showed me that our team is an NCAA worthy group right now.

This sort of performance will win this team a lot of games this year.

Ken

Very encouraged with the effort last night. We have mastered the concept of playing hard under Keatts. Now it is time to master the concept of playing smart. Too many times we were out of place on defense leaving wide open shots. That is fixable.

I believe we were the better team last night. Cut down the mental errors and like mentioned above, even officiating and we would have won easily. The meat of the non conference schedule is now. Need to learn from our mistakes last night and move on. I have no problem with our effort.

Btw. Don't know what #34 for Wisconsin is majoring in but he should definitely consider a career in Hollywood because he is a great actor.

Upon reflecting on this game, I think going to a tight rotation in the second half hurt us on defense and rebounding. We got tired and weren't pressing as much.

Wisconsin scored 50 points in the second half on 62% shooting. We held them to 35% shooting and 29 points in the first half with using the bench and applying pressure after made buckets and dead balls.

We aren't geared to get into a half court game with most teams because we do not have the size for that over the course of the game or a half and that is what happened late in the game.

We really need to keep the pressure on all game long, like Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams "94 feet of Hell" defense.

The rebounding is what stood out me late in the game. We dominated the boards, on the offensive and defensive ends for 30-35 minutes, but down the stretch it seemed Wisconsin started getting most of the rebounds and our smaller guys were getting tired.

If one could a pick a team that would be our Kryptonite, then Wisconsin would be that team. They have one of the best post big men in the college game. I was shocked that we competed evenly with them on the offensive and defensive boards, and that spoke well to the team's hustle factor. What changed is that with ten minutes to go, Wisconsin's two best players just started hitting shots they previously missed, and most were heavily contested. Then add in that we turned the ball over five straight times and three of those were highly questionable charging calls, which ended up becoming a joke! In that same ten minute period in the second half, it was like the Big 10 commissioner sent a memo to the two Big 10 officials working the game that they had to do something! The way the calls were going, the Wisconsin player on the last one jumped up and celebrated immediately upon the whistle blowing. He already knew the way the call was going! He never even looked at the official to learn what the call was! I've never seen anything like that before! The contact was so light that even though the Wisconsin player splayed out on the court like he was shot, Markell Johnson was literally still standing up dribbling the ball, wondering just what the hell had just happened!

I just addressed in detail the two most egregious calls. There was much more where those came from.

In the tournament seeding, this matchup was expected to be one of the few clear advantages for the Big 10, and the Pack came very close to pulling off what would have been the biggest upset of the whole shebang. With fair officiating, I think we would have.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Btw. Don't know what #34 for Wisconsin is majoring in but he should definitely consider a career in Hollywood because he is a great actor.
    Given how the officials had turned the game around, he didn't have to act. I think breathing hard was sufficient grounds for a charging call!

Ken

Thread Information