The 2018-19 athletic season has concluded for NC State. Football starts in two months! See you then!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gator Bowl vs. Texas A&M (Edited)

Wow! Two pick's by Finley with the second being a pick six that went 78 yards for another A&M touchdown.

Sad to see this happen!

Ken

It's getting mighty close to walking your dog time!

Mercy!

Ken

Yeeh!

It is 42-13 A&M, and we have no sponsors, so unless it's raining, feel free to walk your dog!

Ken

Safe to say the Aggies will cover the spread. Was really in this game and was dominating the LOS until midway through the 2nd quarter. A lot of things has killed us tonight but the 0% on 3rd down conversions is certainly a key. Defensively it is LB play or lack there of.

Yeah, that was a just an old fashioned ass whoopin!

Ken

Predictable results considering the staff that left and the staff that remained. Not sure what more we need to see out if Huxtable's defense in order to vote him off the island.

Hux is a challenge. He is a great recruiter, many of the defensive players that committed this year did so because of Hux, namely Drake. Hux has also been the DC for some really good defenses in his career. Something is missing and I am not sure what the answer is. Next years defense should be much improved and I think that will be the tale. However, I wont put too much on the defense against A&M, the offense continued to put the defense in bad positions time and time again.

I will say this, we only allow 22.7 points per game, which puts us #37 Nationally. That is not horrible, and I know that is the stat that DD and staff look at the most. We also only allow 3rd down conversions .323 % of the time, which puts us #19 Nationally. This is the other big stat the coaching staff looks at.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

The issue in the bowl game was that Jimbo Fisher had a lot of time to study Ryan Finley very well and knew exactly what to do to beat him, and he did. He dropped linebackers from run defense to zone pass coverage immediately before the snap, relying upon the hand clap motion to signal the imminence of the snap. Knowing that Ryan relies upon timing to succeed, if you put defenders in the spot of the reception suddenly, after Ryan makes the read, then you can pick him off. That's what happened. Ryan's one weakness is he is not able to accurately throw a fifty yard bomb. So, defenses can pack it in a bit. Ryan's biggest receptions this season where amassed with run after catch, no so much the throw itself.

A&M had an excellent defensive front and Fisher relied upon them to contain the run game, which they did fairly well.

We didn't score a single point in the second half. That's not a defensive issue, folks! Eliah Drinkwitz may well have been able to scheme up a halftime adjustment that would have worked and exploited what Fisher was selling out to do to stop Ryan. But, that adjustment wasn't found. And things went from negative to really bad.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    The issue in the bowl game was that Jimbo Fisher had a lot of time to study Ryan Finley very well and knew exactly what to do to beat him, and he did. He dropped linebackers from run defense to zone pass coverage immediately before the snap, relying upon the hand clap motion to signal the imminence of the snap. Knowing that Ryan relies upon timing to succeed, if you put defenders in the spot of the reception suddenly, after Ryan makes the read, then you can pick him off. That's what happened. Ryan's one weakness is he is not able to accurately throw a fifty yard bomb. So, defenses can pack it in a bit. Ryan's biggest receptions this season where amassed with run after catch, no so much the throw itself.

A&M had an excellent defensive front and Fisher relied upon them to contain the run game, which they did fairly well.

We didn't score a single point in the second half. That's not a defensive issue, folks! Eliah Drinkwitz may well have been able to scheme up a halftime adjustment that would have worked and exploited what Fisher was selling out to do to stop Ryan. But, that adjustment wasn't found. And things went from negative to really bad.

Ken
    This was not Fisher it was the DC, and the DC for A&M, Mike Elko, has had Finley's number for the most part. He was the DC at WF in 2016 when we won 33-16, and in this game we put up 17 in the first quarter and only put up 16 the rest of the game after they adjusted. He was the DC at ND in 2017 when we lost 17-35, and of course he was the DC for A&M in this game. He found the weak link in the Finley lead Wolfpack offense and we could not do anything to counter it.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Thread Information