The 2018-19 athletic season has concluded for NC State. Football starts in two months! See you then!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Auburn 12/19

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post
    BTP did a break-up of Keatts UNCW teams, before coming here. His defenses there were around 175 nationally. He's going to give up points in the half court for attempting steals.

From what I gather, Keatts philosophy is to get more possessions than your opponent via turnovers and rebounding.

I doubt we will ever be a great defensive team under Keatts.
    My "best defense is a really aggressive offense" theory took a big hit this past week. If that's his approach, I wonder if we'll ever hang a banner of any type again.

If you get 20 points on 15 turnovers, is that not emblematic of good defense?

If you restrict an opponent to 40% shooting with them having 80 attempts -- giving up 64 points, isn't that better defense than restricting an opponent to 45% shooting on 60 attempts, giving up 54 points?

Defense isn't merely how many points you give up.

This is especially true if you end up with more possessions due to those 15 turnovers, when your team only has 10 turnovers.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    My "best defense is a really aggressive offense" theory took a big hit this past week. If that's his approach, I wonder if we'll ever hang a banner of any type again.
    Our philosophy is not that different than UNC. UNC basically out scores you and they dont have issues winning titles. This year our scoring defense ranked 175th, UNC's ranked 223rd. Dont be a prisoner of the moment here. UVA was extremely lucky as well as being good. UVa trailed in 3 straight games w/ under a minute to play. They could have easily lost any of those 3 games.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Thread Information