#8 NC State women improves to 17-0 with a win at Virginia, 66-38!

Thread: Mark Richt resigns

Default Mark Richt resigns

Mark Richt resigned today as the head coach at Miami, and announced that he is retiring from coaching.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...rk-richt-coach

The Canes immediately hired Manny Diaz to the head coach position. I say hired (vice promote) because Diaz had just accepted the head coaching position at Temple University!

Shock is an understatement. Richt was only in his second year with the Hurricanes, and in his first year he led the team to the conference championship game and on to the Orange Bowl. Moreover, he is only 58 years old. That's a very young age for someone to retire.

https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-coach...175708377.html

All indications are that Richt's decision shocked everyone and that the Miami AD was fully wanting Richt to continue as head coach. His career head coaching record was a very successful 171-64. He spent 15 years at Georgia, constantly taking the Bulldogs to near the top but not quite the pinnacle. Everyone regarded him as a man of stellar integrity.

Ken

In hindsight you could almost tell that his heart was not in it this past year. You need that desire for recruiting and when that is gone, you are done.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

He just received the Walter Camp COY award last season. He is coaching at the school where he played. You would think it would be his dream job. I think he realized that he could not turn the recruiting around and get the kind of athletes every year like he was doing at Georgia. In the 80s the glamour and glitz of the city of Miami was enough to bring in top recruits. The Miami U players were more popular than the Dolphin players at the Miami night clubs and apparently they spent a lot of time at the Miami night clubs during the 80s. Now with the addition of the Heat and MLB Miami is a pro sports city.

Miami U needs an on campus or at least near campus stadium. Hard Rock Stadium is way on the other side of the city from Coral Gables. It would be like NC State taking a bus ride to Durham or Chapel Hill for home games. In the 80s it was the šthing to doš to go see the Hurricanes play in the Orange Bowl. Now there is just too many other things to do there and Hard Rock does not have the atmosphere to draw back the alumni and fan base. An on campus stadium could rejuvenate that passion.

I wonder what kind of alumni base they have? They are a much smaller than average university to begin with, and the big city atmosphere has always been a key part of their campus culture. Their total enrollment now is only about 17,000 students. Tiny Wake Forest has an enrollment of about 8,100 and Duke about 16,300. In comparison, NC State's enrollment is about 35,500.

The amazing thing to me is how over all these many years Wake has been able to cultivate such an alumni base and stay competitive in most all of their sports programs. From every standpoint except academic standing, UCF would be a far superior ACC school than is Miami. And if one was going to start the ACC from scratch, devoid of any historical connections, any suggestion of Wake Forest joining would cause said person to be laughed out of the conference room.

Ken

Thread Information