Basketball season ends as NC State loses to Iowa in the NCAA Sweet16

Thread: 1/29 Virginia

Default 1/29 Virginia

No rest for the weary, UVa up next.

If we can take this one, it would more than offset that WF loss.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Our big advantage is that it is home. We also have Markell Johnson back, and he seemed to finally get his game back late in the second half of the Clemson game.

Ken

Markell was all but ganged raped with the ball at the end of regulation but of course a no call. Missed shots equal missed opportunities and we had a lot of them tonight. One thing we can count on under Keatts is we fight for 40 minutes. Tonight we fought for 45. Came up 1 point short tonight.

And ironically this was the 1rst ACC game that we shot more free throws than our opponent (only 1 more) and we only shoot 66% from the charity stripe. Ball game right there.

I listened to the game live to the Wolfpack Radio crew and they repeatedly called out the officiating in this game. I have the game digitally recorded and can watch at home to confirm their comments, but normally they are both objectively fair.

One of their quickest observations was how the officials allowed the Virginia guards to push contact on our guard as they dribbled across the top of the key, and I have already seen evidence of that happening.

I hope what the team learns from this is that if they play their game, they can beat any team in the nation.

As I've written before, no game this year is must win and no game is can't win. We have to approach every game with the intent of playing our brand of ball and seizing the victory.

Ken

Watched two thirds of the first half and even though Virginia was called for a lot of fouls, they really easily could have been whistled for at least four more. Kevin Keatts correctly scouted Virginia for overplaying their rotations off screens on their defensive side, and even though he emphasized that to the officials, the zebras largely let it go.

I think there were stretches were we just simply could not hit open shots.

One detail I observe about Wyatt Walker is that his lower body maintains verticality, but he keeps dropping his arms below vertical, and that alone is enough for him to get called for fouls in the paint.

Combine that with a number of phantom calls, such as the first half call on Funderburk for offensive goal tending, a missed call on an out of bounds call to give it back to Virginia, and a foul call on Lockette where he got a clean strip and was on his way to a bunny, and it was a clearly biased bit of officiating, and that's validated by the number of times I kept hearing even the ESPN crew call it out. I never once heard them say the phrase, "NC State got away with that one."

Ken

I haven't even gotten to the last six minutes of the game and the second half has featured about four brutally bad calls that all went against NC State in this game! And when I say brutally bad, the ESPN announcers themselves criticized what they saw same as I would have had I been there. I mean a forearm shove of Funderburk as he was about to rebound the ball under the basket and put back for an easy score (not called), a Virginia player who lost the ball on his drive and yet somehow without the ball even in his hands, got a foul called against Funderburk! I note how often it was Funderburk who got the raw end of the deal on these bad calls! I could easily point out several others just in the first ten minutes of the second half!

Honestly, if NC State had gotten fair officiating in this game, we would have beaten Virginia.

It's a powerful statement of this team's resolve that they nearly pulled out the win despite the officiating!

Hell! I'll add another at the nine minute mark! A Virginia player with the ball trips over his own teammate setting a screen, and the official whistles C.J. Bryce for the foul when he didn't even make contact, but was himself tripped up by the same Virginia player who tripped up his own guy! I note that it was the old fossil Jamie Luckie who made that particularly bad call, and he made most of the others also!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    And ironically this was the 1rst ACC game that we shot more free throws than our opponent (only 1 more) and we only shoot 66% from the charity stripe. Ball game right there.
    We shot 98% against Clemson. We only missed 1 free throw. Have to return to the mean sooner or later

Thread Information