Braxton Beverly drops 21 points as the Pack beats Syracuse 73-58 at PNC Arena.

Thread: 2/2 Virginia Tech

Default 2/2 Virginia Tech

Rest up boys, we get another though one.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Did not see the game but ouch!!!! 14 points the 1rst half and 10 points the entire 2nd half???? Wtf?????

Brings back horrid memories of the Sendek days.

I watched the game and I wish to hell I didn't!

For the first time in the Kevin Keatts era, I saw a Wolfpack team essentially quit! The first half was a total nightmare of shooting ineptness. Braxton Beverly was 0-10 from the floor in the first half and never scored in the entire game. The team scored an incredible 14 points in the first half and then improved upon that ineptness by scoring just 10 in the second half! That's right, the team scored just 24 points the entire game!

Virginia Tech played a sub-par game to win at our barn 47-24. In my entire life, I have never seen a game like this, and I truly don't think even what I wrote here has adequately described the negative of the performance.

This can easily be the kind of performance that destroys the rest of the season, not so much for dropping a second home game in a row to a ranked opponent, but instead the manner in which the team quit playing midway in the second half and never regained their desire to hustle. There is just no excuse for that -- none whatsoever.

In hockey, there is a such a thing as a "puckless practice," where the coach just has the team spend the entire practice session performing repetitive physical drills, with the point being to send a message. Next practice needs to include zero basketballs!

Ken

With their 24 point tally in today's game, NC State now holds the very dubious record of lowest points scored by a ranked team in a shot clock college basketball game!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ia-tech-hokies

From this point forward, the team won't have to worry about setting records good or bad for a nationally ranked team!

Ken

Go all the way back to 2004 against St John. We only scored 10 points in the 1rst half. We ended up losing 63-35. We shot 20% from the floor and 8% from behind the arc. Hodge was our leading scorer with 19 points. That was the low point until now. I remember thinking at the time that the Princeton offense, although a thing of beauty when it is working when perimeter shots are falling and it opens up back door cuts, it is the ugliest thing in the world when the shots are not falling and no way we can be an elite program running that offense. Although I like Keatts system a lot better it is just as contrarian as the Princeton offense and relies mostly on perimeter shots falling. Today was as ugly as it gets and much more uglier than the St Johns game 15 years ago. Like the triple option in football contrarian styles are often hard to coach against but when elite defenses figure them out and like in basketball when shots are not falling they can be very ugly and you do not see many if any National Champions winning with a contrarian style of play.

I feel like Keatts is a great coach who gets the most out of his players. I just feel like that today is proof that we need quality big men who can manufacture easy baskets when shots are not falling. The teams that succeed in the NCAA tournament every year are the teams that can run their half court offenses the best. That is the main thing we are lacking under Keatts. 40 minutes of hell is fun to watch when it is working but relies on made baskets to set up the press. When the shots don't fall it can be ugly as hell like we saw today. Not saying Keatts should change his whole system. Like his teams hustle and hell we hustled today for most of the game on D holding the #10 team in the nation to 47 points. It was mentioned that we quit midway through the 2nd half. Hell I may have quit too with that kind of shooting going against me. Maybe a hybrid on what he has with at least one elite big man on the court that can create and put the ball in the basket when our perimeter guys cannot throw it in the damn ocean.

Are we still "ahead of schedule"?

No, we are not. If anything, we're now playing catch-up.

We've had 2 program-defining losses in a month. That's....not good.

LSmith, Steere and Bates, in an ideal world, should have been options this season. We lack quality depth up front, in large part due to their losses this season.

But I think going forward, it will be hard to get quality big men here, because we do not run many plays for big men to post up down low. I've seen too many times, where Walker or Funderburke, have set up down low and are calling for the ball, and the wing with the ball doesn't make the entry pass. They either pass or dribble on the perimeter or attack the basket themselves. We really don't, and haven't as long as I have been a state fan, have a way to get easy buckets in the half court.

This what will keep us from being in the top quarter of the ACC. We have not had many go to guys for scoring in the half court in ages. Only ones I can think of, in the last 30 years are Monroe, Fuller to a certain extent, but the talent around him was limited, and DSJ, but the coaching staff was a mess and thus the team around him were a mess.

Thought Markell could be the guy, but after his injury against bit, he has never really been the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    Are we still "ahead of schedule"?

No, we are not. If anything, we're now playing catch-up.

We've had 2 program-defining losses in a month. That's....not good.
    We tied for 3rd in the ACC last year, with a hastily put together roster, which was not very deep.

We returned 3 players from last years team, lost 2 big men for the season, who in an ideal world should be playing, our best player had a nasty fall, missed 3 games, and has not been the same player as before the Pitt game (doubt he's close to 100%), but we still have a shot at the NCAA tournament, as long as we can end the current losing streak.

I am not sure, what schedule you expected, but noticeable progress has been made rebuilding this program.

We will be returning most players from this years roster. We have done a decent job recruiting for next year. We should have Bates back and the Kentucky player giving us more depth up front.

The team, over all, will be more experienced and more talented than this years team. Things should be looking up.

I think people are over analyzing this game. 1st, State held Tech to 47 points. That doesnít mean a lack of effort. 2nd the Pack shot as poorly as any team Iíve ever watched or played for and thatís no exaggeration. Burn the tape and move on.

What does worry me is their collective psyche going into the cheat game. Theyíve got to rebound and switch gears from teams that love to control pace and keep the game in the 60ís to ewenc, a team that is comfortable scoring in the 80ís to 90ís. The Pack canít afford to have a string of empty possessions against them or theyíll be buried. Hopefully theyíll respond positively.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Thread Information